Can anyone please explain

That why oh why on days like today with heavy rain, spray from trucks and trailers that there are still people that drive with no lights on? I’ve come down M6 from Junc19 around the diversion at Junc 2 and onto the A14 and must be 1out of every 5 vehicles using the overtaking lanes DID NOT have lights on, these people need seriously educating that lights are there to see and BE SEEN!

Rant over.

Rob

It tends to be only silver and black cars that do this.

Yep gets on my ■■■■ too what does me in more is bloody rear fog lights your trying to concentrate and all your eyes get drawn to is ■■■■■ fog lights, like why do people overtake you and pull in front and still keep em on I ■■■■■■■ see you I just watched you overtake me and pull infront and brake to 50mph! My rant over needed that thanks :slight_smile:

Side light get me :unamused: why drive with them on because they really are only parking lights - truckers are terrible for it. My thought is that side lights are used when they’re not sure if headlights should be used or not. A copper told me many years ago…when moving…headlights or no lights - if wipers are on, headlights should be on!

Its because they only look forward!

I dont ever recall driving in any type of rain and thinking " ■■■■ me, i nearly didnt see him there because he only had his sidelights on"
My sidelights go on when it gets a bit rainy/misty/dusk/dawn, my headlights go on when i need to see where i,m going,
If you cant see a truck coming past you in the middle of the day when its raining without him having his headlights on then you want to be paying specsavers a visit

Retro rob:
That why oh why on days like today with heavy rain, spray from trucks and trailers that there are still people that drive with no lights on? I’ve come down M6 from Junc19 around the diversion at Junc 2 and onto the A14 and must be 1out of every 5 vehicles using the overtaking lanes DID NOT have lights on, these people need seriously educating that lights are there to see and BE SEEN!

Rant over.

Rob

Learners never get shown a picture of what can and cannot be seen in a wet lorry mirror when on a spray filled road = easy to remedy by putting such in the HC

chaversdad:
I dont ever recall driving in any type of rain and thinking " [zb] me, i nearly didnt see him there because he only had his sidelights on"
My sidelights go on when it gets a bit rainy/misty/dusk/dawn, my headlights go on when i need to see where i,m going,
If you cant see a truck coming past you in the middle of the day when its raining without him having his headlights on then you want to be paying specsavers a visit

It’s not trucks I was getting at, try seeing cars with no lights on in wet/dirty mirrors in spray! Especially silver cars!

well with all these new vehicles coming fitted with DRLs shouldnt be a problem soon

ROG:

Retro rob:

Rant over.

Rob

Learners never get shown a picture of what can and cannot be seen in a wet lorry mirror when on a spray filled road = easy to remedy by putting such in the HC

This pic was taken whilst stationary on M6 a few weeks ago to try and show what can and can’t be seen! And there was no spray as we were stationary!
Keep saying we were stationary before I get hammered for taking pics whilst driving lol!

Had one today going into London on the A13 no lights,sitting at 40mph the conditions were wet with a lot of spray and what did the bell end do?? Stuck his hazards on!! Caused chaos!!

Won’t say his nationalality but he was one of the kind that worships cows!!

Seen a pic like that from a driver who was broken down on a motorway hard shoulder in spray conditions and it was brilliant at showing the only clear vehicles as ones with dips on

chaversdad:
I dont ever recall driving in any type of rain and thinking " [zb] me, i nearly didnt see him there because he only had his sidelights on"

Well if that’s the mentality :unamused: :unamused: words fail me :unamused: Sidelights are a waste of time unless parked. I have many a time had to hold back before pulling out cus some arse has only got there sidelights on (not sure you see…distant or close) - car and truck (with spray from my own truck) :unamused: headlights are sometimes to be seen…not just see where you’re going :open_mouth:

chaversdad:

dri-diddly-iver:
Well if that’s the mentality :unamused: :unamused: words fail me :unamused: Sidelights are a waste of time unless parked. I have many a time had to hold back before pulling out cus some arse has only got there sidelights on (not sure you see…distant or close) - car and truck (with spray from my own truck) :unamused: headlights are sometimes to be seen…not just see where you’re going :open_mouth:

+1 ^^^^

ROG:

chaversdad:

dri-diddly-iver:

+1 ^^^^

+2

The Yanks don’t get a lot of things right, but they call these things “parking lamps” not side-lights and that, as said above, is exactly what they are for. the practice of using side-lights dates back to the days when cars and lorries had dynamos and crap batteries, absolutely no need for it today. Modern cars are even worse with side-lights as the small amount of light is often diffused by a huge reflector.

a lot of cars have auto lights now but it has to be really dark before they come on.
Inside the car the dash is light up even though the lights arnt on,the driver dosent know wether his lights are on or not.

It a manufactures problem,the dash should only be lite up if your lights are ON !

ROG:

chaversdad:

dri-diddly-iver:

+1 ^^^^

yeah but i forgot to mention that when my sidelights are on they show 12 sidelight bulbs and 20 white LED,s to the front, surely you can see me coming with that lot :open_mouth:

■■■■ me they’ll see you from the international space station!

Around here in Kent, there seems to be a fad of driving around with only one headlight working.

Now… If I dared to commit such an atrocity, I’d get pulled in the first five minutes, 'cos I’m the sort of guy that gets scrutinised when entering a bank on holiday to the point that the gendarme or whatever un-pops his holster when I walk through the door…

When you see a “one eyed monster” in your mirror, it can look like a damned bike miles behind you. They do get quite indignant if you so much as waver near their side of the road.
If they wanted me to realise that they exist, then turn BOTH lights on FFS! GET that bulb changed. DON’T turn the ignition on with lights full on. Where’s the police to pull up all these other idiots when you need 'em? :imp:

TTX boy:
Inside the car the dash is light up even though the lights arnt on,the driver dosent know wether his lights are on or not.

It a manufactures problem,the dash should only be lite up if your lights are ON !

Have to agree here… it’s caught me out on more than one occasion and I bet I’m not alone.

You do get the green “lights on” idiot lamp in my current Renault but I’m also willing to bet that a good half of car drivers (and a few lorry drivers if the truth be known) never bother to RTFM and are blissfully unaware of what half their vehicles’ idiot lamps are actually for.

Agree with Winseer about “one-eyed Joes” as well; surely VOSA could make a bob or two pulling motorists up for that?