Can a haulage company be too big?

Admittedly I do not have a great insight into this industry as a relatively new driver and I stand to be corrected on many points but you live and learn.

My thought was, in the bus industry if a company is too big in one area the monopoly and mergers commission (or what ever they are now called) would force the operator to sell a depot or recommend the purchase of a company by a bigger company should no go ahead.

I have seen this happen in the bus industry a few times since deregulation and wondered if the big Stobarts (other big companies available :wink: ) could ever fall into this category by restricting fair competition through simply buying up the smaller competition.

Thoughts please :slight_smile:

No. The authorities only only prevent acquisitions to protect consumers. IE, a company buys up all the competition and hikes the price of their product.

This isn’t what Stobarts do, they undercut other companies and it’s us mugs who take the hit, the end consumers don’t notice. No one cares about us that’s for sure.

I see your point Terry, but if that company ultimately has the monopoly a few years down the line they can hike up their charges and the end user/consumer will end up having the cost passed onto them?
Then again some one would need foresight for that :laughing:

Stobarts are not going to take over the whole of the haulage industry though. In some sectors it’s possible for some companies to totally dominate but haulage is so varied I doubt anyone will ever come close.

Who is the biggest haulage firm while we’re on about big firms? I know who I work for (Turners) must be one of the biggest privately owned transport firms.

NewLad:
Who is the biggest haulage firm while we’re on about big firms? I know who I work for (Turners) must be one of the biggest privately owned transport firms.

Dhl

I don’t believe Stobarts undercut the going rate. They are usually bang in the middle when they quote for work.
What they offer more than most is reliability, And reliability wins jobs more than price alone.

Stobbies definately isnt one of the biggest. Just the best at self promoting. Next journey you do count how many stobs you see vs DHL or Nobbies or Downton or Maritime

Dhl once exel logistics famous for really undercutting people . They just don’t do transport though do they ; they usually want the whole lock stock and barrel.

limeyphil:
I don’t believe Stobarts undercut the going rate. They are usually bang in the middle when they quote for work.
What they offer more than most is reliability, And reliability wins jobs more than price alone.

stobarts will always be cheaper then the small too medium firms due too there size

anders66:
Dhl once exel logistics famous for really undercutting people . They just don’t do transport though do they ; they usually want the whole lock stock and barrel.

dhl bought excel logistics, dhl have just walked away from the poundstrecher contract at huddersfield as they (poundstretcher) wanted the rates halfed and dhl said no. any dhl run depot i go to (and thats quite a few) am never there more than an hour and half

Smoggie89:

NewLad:

Dhl

Don’t DHL do parcels and whole transport for companies like Iceland/Weatherspoons, I wouldn’t really class them as hauliers more logistics (I believe there is a difference)

scotstrucker:

anders66:

dhl bought excel logistics, dhl have just walked away from the poundstrecher contract at huddersfield as they (poundstretcher) wanted the rates halfed and dhl said no.

Would that then be 10bob stretcher?

NewLad:

Smoggie89:

NewLad:

Dhl

Don’t DHL do parcels and whole transport for companies like Iceland/Weatherspoons, I wouldn’t really class them as hauliers more logistics (I believe there is a difference)

b&q, tk maxx, carlsberg too name a few

scotstrucker:

limeyphil:

stobarts will always be cheaper then the small too medium firms due too there size

They could probably afford to be cheaper if they wanted to for the reason you’ve given. But why would they? They’re in it to make as much money as possible.
And the rates they pay the subbies is above average. They wouldn’t run the subbies at a loss to themselves.

limeyphil:

That is so funny! :laughing:

DrivingMissDaisy:

limeyphil:

That is so funny! :laughing:

It’s fact, not internet hearsay. or MMTM.

limeyphil:
They could probably afford to be cheaper if they wanted to for the reason you’ve given. But why would they? They’re in it to make as much money as possible.
And the rates they pay the subbies is above average. They wouldn’t run the subbies at a loss to themselves.

Stop saying things that don’t condemn Stobarts as the devil.

puts fingers in ears… ‘bla bla bla’

:grimacing:

NewLad:

scotstrucker:

anders66:

dhl bought excel logistics, dhl have just walked away from the poundstrecher contract at huddersfield as they (poundstretcher) wanted the rates halfed and dhl said no.

Would that then be 10bob stretcher?

yeah thats them lol

Stobart are comparatively small fry compared to DHL, Wincanton,Dentressangle and Turners. It’s just that apart from Tesco most of their vehicles are in their livery unlike the other big boys.