Can a haulage company be too big?

NewLad:
Who is the biggest haulage firm while we’re on about big firms? I know who I work for (Turners) must be one of the biggest privately owned transport firms.

I’m pretty sure Bibby’s was one of the largest privately owned logistics companies, although its a bit different to a haulier.

DHL is a massive global logistics company but again its not quite a sole haulier. Stobarts isn’t really a sole haulier anymore as they have become the Stobart Group incorporating property development and things like the ports/rail etc.

NewLad:

Smoggie89:

NewLad:
Who is the biggest haulage firm while we’re on about big firms? I know who I work for (Turners) must be one of the biggest privately owned transport firms.

Dhl

Don’t DHL do parcels and whole transport for companies like Iceland/Weatherspoons, I wouldn’t really class them as hauliers more logistics (I believe there is a difference)

DHL can provide a management/logistics service for companies like Iceland. All they do is look at how they run things and make savings, work towards targets and receive a management fee/bonuses. This however enables companies like Iceland to set even tighter targets and save even more money. The result is the life being squeezed out of the workforce. I imagine its better to work direct for DHL rather than one of their managed companies.

Logistics vs hauliers

Ok so is Porsche a car company ?

They make most of their money from

1. Financial services
  2. Property
  3. car sales.

I still class them as a car company

So to me a company that runs a hgv is a haulier.

So newlad, I move ■■■ around, more recently I pump flood water from one place to another WHAT AM I ? A haulier, Logistics Co. or something else ?

Back to the original question - yes! Get to a certain size and they become impersonal, dictatorial money grabbing entities just like…supermarkets!

How big is too big

scotstrucker:
dhl have just walked away from the poundstrecher contract at huddersfield as they (poundstretcher) wanted the rates halved and dhl said no.

Really. :open_mouth:

Is it not the fact that DHL couldn’t organise a ■■■■ up in a brewery, and the owner of Poundies, Aziz, and his man in charge of transport Mohammed, decided that DHL were crap at what they do, and were from day 1.

They were brought in by Aziz some 15 months ago on a 3 month rolling contract, as he thought they were the dogs doo dahs, and it’s taken this long for Poundies to wake up and smell the coffee.

Oh and by the way. Their relationship doesn’t end until a week next Friday, and before anyone asks, Butts are not getting it all back…yet.

Ken.

People also forget that WH Malcolm are mahoosive.

Ken.

Someone done a topic like this not that long ago and someone posted a link , wincanton TNT were up at the top aswell

scotstrucker:

limeyphil:
I don’t believe Stobarts undercut the going rate. They are usually bang in the middle when they quote for work.
What they offer more than most is reliability, And reliability wins jobs more than price alone.

stobarts will always be cheaper then the small too medium firms due too there size

It depends, Wincantons, DHL, Norbert all of which are bigger companies than Stobarts get jobs on a variety of reasons, they have a UK or in some cases European and worldwide distribution and warehouse network. Which means they can offer a complete service that you small and medium size hauliers cannot, some smaller hauliers have got together to gain a national network so they can also compete for those type of contracts. But an independent haulier operating from one or 2 places can offer a dedicated service to a smaller company that would become small fry for the big players.

Although as happened in a place I worked the company we were transporting for grew quickly and then the big boys were interested, they came in and offered a complete distribution and storage service, we were out, they weren’t Stobarts, but securicor, it was a few yeas back. It was Stobarts who got a big contract from another major haulier in the area and used many of the local hauliers as subbies.

NewLad:

Smoggie89:

NewLad:

Dhl

Don’t DHL do parcels and whole transport for companies like Iceland/Weatherspoons, I wouldn’t really class them as hauliers more logistics (I believe there is a difference)

If you’re going to take DHL out of the equation because they are not purely a haulage company, then you’d have to include all the big players in the industry in that group. They all offer far more than a transportation service. That would include Turners, whose tag line is “supply chain solutions”

Quinny:

scotstrucker:
dhl have just walked away from the poundstrecher contract at huddersfield as they (poundstretcher) wanted the rates halved and dhl said no.

Really. :open_mouth:

Is it not the fact that DHL couldn’t organise a ■■■■ up in a brewery, and the owner of Poundies, Aziz, and his man in charge of transport Mohammed, decided that DHL were crap at what they do, and were from day 1.

They were brought in by Aziz some 15 months ago on a 3 month rolling contract, as he thought they were the dogs doo dahs, and it’s taken this long for Poundies to wake up and smell the coffee.

Oh and by the way. Their relationship doesn’t end until a week next Friday, and before anyone asks, Butts are not getting it all back…yet.

Ken.

i’v never had a problem at any dhl run dc’s unlike some run by there opposition, it all depends on how the owner of the firm lets them get on with it.

Quinny:

Ken.

Agree.
I would say they’re the Scottish version of Stobart. They have depots and warehouses all over the place and have at least one rail-head (Grangemouth).

I think a better question would be;

Who’s the largest Logistics company in the UK (who don’t have bases overseas)?

That would exclude DHL/Norbert’s and leave the likes of Wincanton/Stobarts/Malchoms/maritime (for examples as I don’t know if they are all soley UK based).

The only time the monopolies commission would be involved is when it comes to the acquisition of companies. There is little they can do if a company grows massive.

m1cks:
The only time the monopolies commission would be involved is when it comes to the acquisition of companies. There is little they can do if a company grows massive.

There’s a supermarket in Newton Le Willows (Warrington) that used to be a Safeway. When Morrisons took over Safeway they sold a lot of the stores off. Tesco wanted to buy this one (amongst many others) but wern’t allowed to. It was turned into a Morrisons for so many years until they eventually were able to sell it to Tesco. Quite sneaky but there’s always away around it.

Anyway back on topic…

Wincanton have over 5000 trucks in the uk

limeyphil:

DrivingMissDaisy:

limeyphil:
I don’t believe Stobarts undercut the going rate. They are usually bang in the middle when they quote for work.
What they offer more than most is reliability, And reliability wins jobs more than price alone.

That is so funny! :laughing:

It’s fact, not internet hearsay. or MMTM.

Reliability my arse! I did some agency work for them and worked alongside their drivers at P&G West Thurrock and reliability isn’t the word that springs to mind! As for rates I have a longer memory and well remember their drivers got 14 days holiday when the general industry standard was already 20! If the government hadn’t changed the law the elves would still be on 14 days! Now there’s a price advantage… :grimacing:

m1cks:
There is little they can do if a company grows massive.

They can and they do just not often enough.

Quinny:

Ken.

And another bunch who pay crap wages and ■■■■ on people!

One of the problems when a company gets to big is that you become an ‘employee number’.