Campeys of selby - photos of the old Foden

I know Campeys and Selby haulers and Fodens have their own threads but I felt this old girl deserves her own. For years now this old Foden has resided in Campey’s yard in Thorpe Wilourby nr Selby and I’ve threatened to go investigate a few times. Well here she is, still sat there looking beautiful. I may post some of these in the other thread too but for now she can take centre stage, enjoy…

Et Rotherham reg ex boc brinsworth Rotherham?

could that explain the red paint under neath? where the badge was?

LeeJ:
could that explain the red paint under neath? where the badge was?

Ye looks like boc red lee

I have a few questions…

1. What engine would she of probably had?
  2. What model of Foden is she?
  3. Why has she got such a big 5th wheel?
  4. Anyone have any pictures of her in service?

LeeJ:
I have a few questions…

It is a S21 model, nicknamed “Mickey Mouse” due to the profile of the cab, and I am guessing that it would have a Gardner LX 150 engine fitted. It looks as though it has the Foden 12 speed gearbox as I can just see the splitter lever on the left of the steering column, later they was moved to the right. Cant help with pics or the 5th wheel though.

Pete.

Thanks Pete, thats useful. might be worth me knocking on the door and enquiring for info on it. they might have some old photos somewhere

LeeJ:
Thanks Pete, thats useful. might be worth me knocking on the door and enquiring for info on it. they might have some old photos somewhere

Hi Leej, just for the record the air lever on the left handside of the column is a deadman. The twelvespeed lever would not be there but down by the side of the engine cover. All air shift levers were mounted to the right hand side of the wheel ! Regards Tony H.

lowreduction:

LeeJ:

Hi Leej, just for the record the air lever on the left handside of the column is a deadman. The twelvespeed lever would not be there but down by the side of the engine cover. All air shift levers were mounted to the right hand side of the wheel ! Regards Tony H.

Ah right Tony, ours all had transmission handbrakes so no deadman fitted.

Pete.

Hi Looking at the header tank in the cab it must have had a Foden 2stroke engine at some time as this was a modification to attempt to over come the overheating trouble .and the lever is the deadman Regards crowbar

windrush:

LeeJ:
I have a few questions…

It is a S21 model, nicknamed “Mickey Mouse” due to the profile of the cab, and I am guessing that it would have a Gardner LX 150 engine fitted. It looks as though it has the Foden 12 speed gearbox as I can just see the splitter lever on the left of the steering column, later they was moved to the right. Cant help with pics or the 5th wheel though.

Pete.

your right crowbar it has a two stroke in it, the fifth wheel is so high because they only used it for movin trailers in and out of the garage it was bought just for shunting and was never used on the road by them

As far as I can recall its a 2 stroke we ran from Teesport years ago!

I have just stumbled across this thread. It is definitely a 2 stroke. The bonnet cover is as low as the seats (it’s much higher for a gardener) and it doesn’t protrude past the back of the cab like the Gardner does. I would expect it to have a 12 speed box being a 2 stroke but definitely no air shift there and doesn’t appear to be a twin stick either. We are just getting towards the end of restoring an ex boc foden s21and this doesn’t seem to have any of the boc extras such as shatter proof rear window and blanked side rear windows as well as auxiliary trailer handbrake and trailer power cut off. The red under the paintwork does look to be the right shade though! Is it still here?

I remember seeing Campeys Fodens at Ramsbottom at Trinity Paper mill on a saturday morning they were always well turned out

Does any one know if this is still here and what is happening with it?

its still there, its been there since they packed up in 1985

artic monkey:
its still there, its been there since they packed up in 1985

Were you parked up opposite the bakery A303 Queen Camel

Such a shame to see it sitting there outside. Would be nice for it to be saved!

hi jturner,it being ex BOC 2 stroke i can guarantee it only had a 4 speed box,the guys hated them,you had to rev the nuts off them,good job they only ran at 24 tons!!

joeshell:
hi jturner,it being ex BOC 2 stroke i can guarantee it only had a 4 speed box,the guys hated them,you had to rev the nuts off them,good job they only ran at 24 tons!!

Hello. I’ve heard that before and our ex BOC unit is also a 4 speed (well 5 but you cant count super low!). I bet they were a right sod though with a 2stroke! Luckily mine is a Gardner 150! On its own it will set off quite happily in 3rd so I can’t imagine its top speed is going to be much to write home about when its done. Do have a spare 12 speed at home though so will probably try and shoe horn that in at some point in the future.

As far as i know there are no S21 BOC lorries left now bar mine (and now this). Would be nice to own the pair! :slight_smile: