Cameras on top of Traffic lights in Edinburgh

Anyone seen these? They’re nothing like I’ve seen before so not quite sure what they’re for. They’re grey, with the camera in the middle of them with what looks like LED lights on either side of them. Dunno if these are just CCTV cameras or something else.

im pretty sure they are cctv cameras but dont ask me i never pay attention to them ones.

Steve-o:
Anyone seen these? They’re nothing like I’ve seen before so not quite sure what they’re for. They’re grey, with the camera in the middle of them with what looks like LED lights on either side of them. Dunno if these are just CCTV cameras or something else.

They are ANPR camera’s, we have them in Peterborough. There was a news article about them a while back saying cops can now monitor cars all across the city while sitting in their doughnut shop. (did i say that outloud :blush: :blush: :blush: )

similar to this…

Probably cctv as the the leds are infrared for better night vision.

Do you speed past them? When you drive a 16t coach with 460bhp and volvo ishift it’s kinda easy to let the speed creep up when you’re booting it lol :laughing:

Found a pic but it’s grey not yellow

Might be this…

Credit to Edinburgh evening News

Cameras give jambusters a clearer picture
Published Date: 06 July 2007
A SCHEME to install cameras which track car number plates in a bid to ease Edinburgh’s traffic jams is nearing completion.
Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras - which are used in London to collect the congestion charge - will be positioned at 62 points around the city to track traffic flow.

Officials today said around 90 per cent of the cameras are in place with the rest to follow in the coming weeks. The cameras snap vehicle number plates and a computer works out what route the vehicle is taking and how long it takes by reading the plate every time it passes a camera.

The information will allow transport chiefs to alter traffic lights according to where bottle-necks appear during peak times, when there are special events or there has been an accident.

The £600,000 system will eventually feed messages on to signs to be placed by the main routes into Edinburgh to tell drivers how long journeys to key destinations in the city are expected to take.

Council officials say there will be no permanent record of the number plates photographed.

Council officials say there will be no permanent record of the number plates photographed.

What waste of an opportunity if they are not used to identify those without tax or insurance etc.

OK, they may not be caught at the time but surely if they are on a regular run then that would open a possibility…

Steve-o:
Might be this…

Credit to Edinburgh evening News

Cameras give jambusters a clearer picture
Published Date: 06 July 2007
A SCHEME to install cameras which track car number plates in a bid to ease Edinburgh’s traffic jams is nearing completion.
Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras - which are used in London to collect the congestion charge - will be positioned at 62 points around the city to track traffic flow.

Officials today said around 90 per cent of the cameras are in place with the rest to follow in the coming weeks. The cameras snap vehicle number plates and a computer works out what route the vehicle is taking and how long it takes by reading the plate every time it passes a camera.

The information will allow transport chiefs to alter traffic lights according to where bottle-necks appear during peak times, when there are special events or there has been an accident.

The £600,000 system will eventually feed messages on to signs to be placed by the main routes into Edinburgh to tell drivers how long journeys to key destinations in the city are expected to take.

I was wondering that, as thought that would open a can of worm with the civil liberty people.

But cops now have access to the traffic master camera (the blue and green ones) so they can now track one vehicle across the country or from doort step to destnation should they wish. As not many roads now dont have these one them :exclamation: :open_mouth:

ROG:

What waste of an opportunity if they are not used to identify those without tax or insurance etc.

OK, they may not be caught at the time but surely if they are on a regular run then that would open a possibility…

I can see it now

Police stake out tax dodgers

Motorist awarded £10,000 in Police Stalker Law Suit

Steve-o:

ROG:

I can see it now

Police stake out tax dodgers

Motorist awarded £10,000 in Police Stalker Law Suit

Just imagine if your missus worked in the control room

"Oh while i remember dear what were you doing down such and such a street at 10pm at night, i thought you were at the pub :question: :confused: "

“…and who was that tart in the passenger seat?!?

"Er…that was the blow up doll so I could use the 2+ lane :smiley: "

sounds like Edinburgh is gearing up for a congestion charge vote :smiling_imp:

didnt the good people of Edinburgh reject the bid to bring in a congestion charge to the city overwhelmingly? good on them and whoever the rest of the country rejects the idea too

ROG:

they will be used for that. they might not be caught there and then but im sure the police will be knocking on the door with evidence that the car had been seen driving without tax or insurance :unamused:

If the government wanted cameras on every street corner for the purpose they claim; ie traffic management, they wouldn’t be using this type would they.

Liebour = Big Brother.
George Orwell warned us about Liebour in his book 1984.

gallowaybull:
didnt the good people of Edinburgh reject the bid to bring in a congestion charge to the city overwhelmingly? good on them and whoever the rest of the country rejects the idea too

They did vote overwhelmingly against a congestion charge but the nice old leader of the council said to the press that the people will vote for it when they learn to make an educated decision!!! Prat or what :question:

Steve-o:
Found a pic but it’s grey not yellow

Ahhh!! So that’s what happened to Johnny 5!! :laughing: :laughing:

Stan

gallowaybull:
didnt the good people of Edinburgh reject the bid to bring in a congestion charge to the city overwhelmingly?

Yes. Unfortunately they got it wrong but will be given another chance to vote the right way. :unamused:

Stan

Didn’t the good folk of Manchester vote the wrong way too?