California trip with pictures

More of my ramblings I’m afraid, but if you’ve trouble sleeping, just click on this here link brandttruck.com/blog/ and you’ll be in the land of nod in minutes :wink:

first stop is, of course, In and Out Burgers, these are the best burgers in America, by far, I know, I’m supposed to be eating healthy, but the odd guilty pleasure won’t do much harm and it’s only a diet, not a law.

:open_mouth: You keep telling yourself that, while watching than half inch you lost instantly come back. :unamused: :laughing:

Still not enough REAL pics. You’re still using stock ones nicked from Google. Other than that, good read.

Where were you when I needed this last night? Up to the usual standard Mark and one or two tips there for observant newbies and others! :wink:

good read mate, thats just about the right amount of writing between the pics to keep me interestered

What sort of money does a lorry driver roughly get paid over there?
Also is it difficult to get a job when you have just passed your american lorry test?

nice diary by the way. Ive just come back from Florida and would like to give it a try out there one day!

Rob K:

first stop is, of course, In and Out Burgers, these are the best burgers in America, by far, I know, I’m supposed to be eating healthy, but the odd guilty pleasure won’t do much harm and it’s only a diet, not a law.

:open_mouth: You keep telling yourself that, while watching than half inch you lost instantly come back. :unamused: :laughing:

Still not enough REAL pics. You’re still using stock ones nicked from Google. Other than that, good read.

I put that bit in especially for you Rob :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I only nicked a couple of internet pics, the fruit and the sun visor, too many people milling around the real deal in the supermarket and the drop visors on the road are on other people’s trucks and as it’s a company website we don’t want to advertise anyone else do we :wink:

Glad you liked it anyway :laughing:

joedwyer1:
What sort of money does a lorry driver roughly get paid over there?
Also is it difficult to get a job when you have just passed your american lorry test?

nice diary by the way. Ive just come back from Florida and would like to give it a try out there one day!

I had a job before I had my licence over here, so can’t say much about how hard it is, most people coming over will have a job offer before they come anyway, it’s all part of the immigration process.

Moneywise, we get paid by the mile, so the more you do, the more you earn, I run quite hard, but have a fair bit of time off too, some may not run as hard, some may want more time off, but the way I balance it works for me, I take home between $3500-$4000 a month, the cost of living is also cheaper here too, so it goes a long way too :wink:

It’s not for everyone, but if it’s your dream, go for it, it was mine, I did and it came true :sunglasses:

Not great pay then, but a nice truck and enviroment!

Thanks for these great posts, Drive.It all looks great at this time of year,must be grim in winter.Doing those great mileages and speeds,as you do,what mpg are you getting and how much fuel can you carry on that mighty Pete? All the best.

truckerspal:
Not great pay then, but a nice truck and enviroment!

Pay is relative, what I earn here gives me a better lifestyle than I had when I was back in England, most things here are 60-70% of the cost they are there and a lot of stuff that costs you a pound, costs me a dollar, so my wages go a long way, I’m not getting rich, but I am better off than I was.

My main concern isn’t the money though, it’s the quality of life, of course everyone has different ideas of that, but I’m happy with things, that’s all that matters really :wink:

brandsbybank:
Thanks for these great posts, Drive.It all looks great at this time of year,must be grim in winter.Doing those great mileages and speeds,as you do,what mpg are you getting and how much fuel can you carry on that mighty Pete? All the best.

Winter is a bloody nightmare, especially down that way, I’m planning on setting up a video camera and taping a drive through a mountain snowstorm this winter, it’ll make IRT Alaska look like a day out at the beach :laughing:

My truck gets low 7s, as you can see it’s about as aerodynamic as a block of flats and we run at up to 80mph (legally) so it’s not too bad when you take all the factors into account. I’ve got twin 150 (US) gallon tanks so have a usuable 1000ltrs give or take :wink:

Talking of gallons what measure is most widely used in Canada, US or Imperial?

Does this fella get a play on your CD when your heading home? Loved seeing the countryside in this video! What do you listen to on the road Mark?

youtube.com/watch?v=bhkcjxLCm8Y

44 Tonne Ton:
Does this fella get a play on your CD when your heading home? Loved seeing the countryside in this video! What do you listen to on the road Mark?

Paul Brandt put on a special show at our Xmas Banquet, I’m not into country, but he was excellent, he’s on tour this winter, 17 dates from Ontario to BC, I’m hoping to be part of the road crew.

I listen to Satellite radio, I listen to a couple of talk shows on the trucking channel, various music shows, classic vinyl (Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Fleetwood Mac etc) the 60s/70s/80s channels, the Motown channel,
Radio 1 on Friday night and BPM on Saturday night for a bit of punching the ceiling house music, or my Ipod :sunglasses:

Canada use litres, but talk in MPG (Imperial) the Yanks use their own weedy little gallon :wink:

Another nice write up there mate, from knowing you i`d say your laptop is missing the F key :laughing:

newmercman:

44 Tonne Ton:

Paul Brandt put on a special show at our Xmas Banquet, I’m not into country, but he was excellent, he’s on tour this winter, 17 dates from Ontario to BC, I’m hoping to be part of the road crew.

I listen to Satellite radio, I listen to a couple of talk shows on the trucking channel, various music shows, classic vinyl (Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Fleetwood Mac etc) the 60s/70s/80s channels, the Motown channel,
Radio 1 on Friday night and BPM on Saturday night for a bit of punching the ceiling house music, or my Ipod :sunglasses:

Canada use litres, but talk in MPG (Imperial) the Yanks use their own weedy little gallon :wink:

Any news on dates? My little Sabre Tooth is into country music so if there’s a date in Regina she can go and swoon and we’ll go for a latte,well you can,I’ll be quaffing Kokanee :smiley:

I have to be on my best behaviour :laughing:

so the money is about the same as here.
what is the rate per mile?

Just been watching the news,here’s hoping yourself ,Moyles et all are enjoying a weekend at home and well away from the clutches of Irene.sounds like she could get lively.

limeyphil:
so the money is about the same as here.
what is the rate per mile?

My money is after stoppages, I don’t give a toss about gross, it’s what hits the bank that counts :wink:

The rates at my place are top secret, well not really, but I’m not sure, I haven’t bothered asking as I’m in no rush to own a lorry again, too much impending legislation on the horizon to make an informed decision at the moment. I think it’s around $1:30 a mile, diesel is $1:20 a litre in Canada, about $3:80 a gallon in the US, their gallon is 3.8ltrs remember, but there is a fuel surchrge, so if you get over 6mpg (US) your diesel costs $1:25 a gallon, less if you get more than 6mpg. They’re knocking out 12-15000miles, up to double that if they run team. There’s also no O licence for O/Ds, you lease on to a company and run on their authority (O licence) all you need here is the truck, the company takes care of everything else, even insurance, having had lorries of my own in England, I reckon it’s hard not to make money when it’s as easy to get started as it is here :wink:

The O/Ds at my place nearly all have Peterbilts, similar to mine, they’re the truck to have here, not the best on diesel due to aerodynamics, but they’re the truck people aspire to own, they must make decent money out of it, they all run around in Escalades or [zb]ing great pick ups when they ain’t trucking, a few of them park the truck in winter and go down to Arizona to play golf for a couple of months :sunglasses: