Cabotage??

Is a transport company from Slovenija allowed to do contract work from England to Eire on a daily basis?

All there trucks are registered in Slovenija and they have Bulgarian drivers.

I’d say NOT unless they have a base in the UK

bikemonkey:
I’d say NOT unless they have a base in the UK

If they had should they be parked up away from that base at weekends.

Any way it will all come out in the wash…

i suppose i should know for definite, but i don’t THINK it’s illegal - sadly, as we Brits are unlikely/unable practicably to take advantage of the flipside

afaik the only restriction as such is working within one country - the french kicked up about foreigners working the beet campaign a couple of years ago and i think it was decided that you could only do 3 months within another country, no mention of cross border movements, although i’ll stand being corrected

No, I’m pretty sure they can’t do that legally.
I seem to remember reading about a British company, with half of their fleet flagged out to Holland recently. They got a severe thumping from VOSA.

Here it is :slight_smile: .

jimboy124:
Is a transport company from Slovenija allowed to do contract work from England to Eire on a daily basis?

Yes, Slovenia is in the eu.

Harry Monk:

jimboy124:

Yes, Slovenia is in the eu.

Slovenia maybe in the EU but i’m almost certain they can’t do regular work like that. Just one offs i thought foreign hauliers where allowed to do?

Just phoned my boss Mike, and you are right- you could not do that run continually unless you had a cabotage permit.

He didn’t know however how many times it would be permissable, once or more.

Interesting link, which then raises the question of Cadbury’s having closed down their own inter-depot transport and using Van den Bosch (Sp. :blush: ). Something that Jen B tried to rasie with Cadbury’s after I spotted the change a couple of years ago.

The last I heard, Cadbury never replied to C.M.

Krankee:
Interesting link, which then raises the question of Cadbury’s having closed down their own inter-depot transport and using Van den Bosch (Sp. :blush: ). Something that Jen B tried to rasie with Cadbury’s after I spotted the change a couple of years ago.

But didn’t they buy out English companies to kind of cover themselves on that score :slight_smile:

I think if a company has offices registered and used (i.e holds an operators licence) they can run all their trucks from it. Norbet Dentressangle work their French trucks out of St.Helens all the time. When i drove for Stobarts i drove one of their Belgian registered trucks for a while, just doing UK work. :confused:

Krankee:

Would that be Van den Bosch Ltd?

The company have a base in the UK, They also have bases in Belgium, several in Holland, Germany, Austria, Spain and Hungary.

The old drivers from Cadbury were retained, even young Sam who is in his 70’s and still does a full days work.

Wheel Nut:
The old drivers from Cadbury were retained, even young Sam who is in his 70’s and still does a full days work.

Good for him. I’ve probably passed him many times on the M50 or the A417.

But the matter still raises the question of the ‘competitiveness’ regarding U.K. hauliers and foreign based operations. Van den Bosch, along with many other companies, have the opportunity to send over a unit with full tanks, run it round for a week or so, and as the fuel level drops, assign it to a run to a port, where the driver ‘swaps over’ with another unit.

Hardly a fair ‘playing field’. And who could blame them, with U.K. taxes being so high. Whereas the U.K. haulier doesn’t have that opportunity. And with the cost of fuel (in this Country) accounting for approximately 30% of the cost of running a vehicle, it immediately puts the domestic hauliers at a disadvantage.

I’ve also heard similar stories regarding the import of flowers. Foreign registered trucks running back to the docks where they collect a fresh truck and the old one goes back on the ferry.

I’m sure that the drivers don’t mind. They’re probably on good money. But how many other drivers get made redundant because the U.K. Industry is thereby uncompetitive

Hardly a fair ‘playing field’. And who could blame them, with U.K. taxes being so high. Whereas the U.K. haulier doesn’t have that opportunity. And with the cost of fuel (in this Country) accounting for approximately 30% of the cost of running a vehicle, it immediately puts the domestic hauliers at a disadvantage.

Tell it to Stephen Ladyboy.

There is nothing to stop any UK haulier doing the same thing if they have an EU permit.

As for the job I can speak of, the Cadbury trucks are UK registered and use BP bunker fuel in the UK. The trucks are nearly all double shifted and hardly ever venture abroad. Cadburys is a multinational company and have factories in the UK, France Belgium and Poland.

DHL is owned by the German Post Office and is responsible for the transport of the beer you drink, the fuel you use and probably the house you live in.

Tate and Lyle, BP, Shell and Esso etc use the German firm Hoyer to distribute their products. It is called globalisation.

Interesting points made.

Some might wish to check some definitions here. (Lest we get carried away)

#1. Cabotage.

#2. Third country.

My take on this: “Cabotage” = the act of collecting and delivering in the same country by a vehicle from a different country.

“Third country” = the act of collecting in one country and delivering to another country by a vehicle from a third country. (Blue EEC book to us old uns :wink: )

Slovenia is in the EU so they can do UK to Eire with the correct EU licence. AFAIK, there isn’t any cabotage going on with this job, since Eire isn’t part of the UK, but I’ll stand to be corrected. (Leaving aside the traditional bi-lateral agreement between the UK and Eire, because Slovenia doesn’t come into that.)

dieseldave:
AFAIK, there isn’t any cabotage going on with this job, since Eire isn’t part of the UK.

AIUI, the eu is all one country for trade purposes.

The Slovenian haulier could do it if he was in possession of a Cabotage Permit which is the modern-day equivalent of the blue EEC book which you mention. Otherwise he couldn’t.

This, in any event, is my employer’s interpretation and I will freely admit that he has forgotten more about European transport than I will ever know.

Harry Monk:

dieseldave:
AFAIK, there isn’t any cabotage going on with this job, since Eire isn’t part of the UK.

AIUI, the eu is all one country for trade purposes.

The Slovenian haulier could do it if he was in possession of a Cabotage Permit which is the modern-day equivalent of the blue EEC book which you mention. Otherwise he couldn’t.

This, in any event, is my employer’s interpretation and I will freely admit that he has forgotten more about European transport than I will ever know.

That’s a possibility I’d missed. I’m sure that for SOME purposes the EU counts as one country, but I do seem to remember that the membership is “out-of-step” with itself on the issue of cabotage. IIRC, some of the membership allow it, but some are relying on an opt-out as we did with border controls. I honestly don’t know which countries fall into which camp, but I’m pretty sure there are two camps.

BTW, I saw your list of international roaming- RESPECT. I put my own ramblings there as well, but there’s many on here who’ve been further than me. I still teach Int CPC now and again, but our discussion above is only covered by a definition of cabotage and the fact you’d need a permit. It doesn’t do much detail- shame!

heard of a company se england that gone done for cabotage running around on dutch plates and never left uk

scania245:
heard of a company se england that gone done for cabotage running around on dutch plates and never left uk

I seem to remember that as well.

VOSA recently had a win with a cabotage case, but I’m not sure whether it’s the one you mean. Anyway, it was reported in the trucking press, and the report is still available: http://insider.trucknetuk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2425

As I thought, the whole EU isn’t quite in step when It comes to cabotage. IIRC, they’re having trouble giving it a modern definition, due to Harry’s point about the EU being one country, so this one will run and run.

scania245:

Didn’t EDCREST (Jan de ROOY) get done for that and other things?

Cabotage was illegal in all EU states but was relaxed a lot. I havent had to carry a cabotage book for nearly 10 years