Cab Height

Does anyone know if there is a legal requirement for cab height if you are doing four nights out in the truck ? i.e. to facilitate standing up in the cab to get dressed without hitting your head on the roof.

Because these new standard R Cab Scania’s only allow you to stand up if you are under 5ft 11" and as Im over 6ft I was wondering if there is any documentation around ie for health and safety reasons. :confused:

open the sunroof then :stuck_out_tongue:

There is NOTHING laid down in writing that your company need’s to give you a certain height cab just because your on night’s out.As long as it has a place for you to sleep then sorry you need to live with it. :wink:

no, your boss could legally send you away for a month in a day-cabbed low-roof M-reg ERF if he wanted to and you were willing to do it.

time to look for another job maybe.

You can’t legally take your daily rest break in a vehicle with a day cab.

mrpj:
You can’t legally take your daily rest break in a vehicle with a day cab.

You can if it has a fitted fold down bunk, or a top sleeper box thingy. (Slept in one of those once, never again!)

I did a stint for Lish in Coalville some time ago, wag and drag carrying portacabins. had a bunk that dropped down from the roof, it was illegal. From memory (which aint too good) there is a minimum distance required by law from steering wheel to rear of the cab.
Im happy to be corrected on this though.
Im driving a MAN 18-224 with medium length cab now and Im quiting the job over it. I could rant about this rubbish cheap skate cab forever. Ok for a kip at an RDC but no good for away work, especially if you ‘live’ in it (cook etc)
Phil

From memory (which aint too good) there is a minimum distance required by law from steering wheel to rear of the cab.

Driver’s myth I’m afraid. Your drop-down bunk was perfectly legal.

Lucy:

From memory (which aint too good) there is a minimum distance required by law from steering wheel to rear of the cab.

That myth usually goes hand in hand with the one that says it is illegal to sleep with your head at the steering wheel end of the bunk. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

I saw an advert for car transporter drivers in the Dwarf Times because of this.

Along with the minimum distance from the wheel and your pillow at the right end, you are not allowed to spend more than 6 nights away in a truck :smiley:

Luxury nowadays, i remember sleeping across the seats in a cargo and it wasnt to bad actually, but there was one morning when i woke up and there was ice on the inside of the windscreen ( fan for the heater didnt work ) felt like a penguin

Dafman:
one morning when i woke up and there was ice on the inside of the windscreen… felt like a penguin

Being cold gives you a craving for chocolate? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Personally, I’d be wanting something warmer. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Freebird:
Im driving a MAN 18-224 with medium length cab now and Im quiting the job over it. I could rant about this rubbish cheap skate cab forever. Ok for a kip at an RDC but no good for away work, especially if you ‘live’ in it (cook etc)
Phil

i’ll swap yer for me b series day cab phil! its got a special board acroos the passenger side for extra comfort! and fixed in nails for the curtains! :wink: :laughing:

if you need a night out and you have a day cab theres these places called B&Bs most towns have them but you may have to finish work early to find one :laughing:

failing those Travel Inns now only £26 but you may have to argue the toss with TM to get your money back…going to court is a right bother but you would win cos its a responsible request have some where decent to sleep and eat when out on company businesss

Dafman:
Luxury nowadays, i remember sleeping across the seats in a cargo and it wasnt to bad actually, but there was one morning when i woke up and there was ice on the inside of the windscreen ( fan for the heater didnt work ) felt like a penguin

the jobs gone soft! :laughing: :laughing: are we glad or what!

Lucy:

Are you sure, this was a standard DAY cab, the bunk was held up against the roof with chains and just dropped down over the seats, so if a day cab is illegal this setup must have been. If it isnt keep quiet about it or guvnors will remember another way of saving money aty our expense.
Only did 6 months there, then they went bust (thank god), but the Lish drivers were the best I ever worked with, salt of the earth.

I also slept overnight in the cab of a D1000 in the 70’s and it was better then the LISH cab (could be that I was younger anb a tad more subtle I suppose, naaa)
Phil

It had a bunk fitted therefore it was perfectly legal. Sorry, but it really is as simple as that. The design details are of no consequence whatsoever.

Mal:
the jobs gone soft! :laughing: :laughing: are we glad or what!

Very glad :smiley: :smiley:

basically the difference between a DAY cab and a Sleeper cab is a bunk.

once a bunk has been added it’s then a sleeper cab. :wink:
so long as the vehicle is fitted with a bunk you can take daily rest in it.

i dont think there is any legal specification to what a bunk should be like, but a plank of wood is out obviously :laughing:

mine wernt an ordinary plank it was 3 quarters of a sapele door dennis, would that be ok? :wink: