C+E

Hi Guys,

last november I posted a diary of my Class II training (which I passed with 5 minors). I am currently partway thru my Class I, test next Tuesday. Unfortunately, due to other comittments I can’t spend th etime doing a diary this time.

But for those of you about to train Class II or I, here are two fantastic tips from my instructor (thanks Sean!)

1. Mirrors are like a pair of ■■■■■ - you don’t just stare at one of them!

2. Kerbs are like 15 year old girls - you can brush up against them, but you’re not allowed to mount them! :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Really enjoying it so far and looking forward to tuesday.

Cheers

John

Good look with the class 1 test on Tuesday John
and all the best :smiley: .

Hi John,

Best of luck with the test, let us know how it goes.

JayHoe:
2. Kerbs are like 15 year old girls - you can brush up against them, but you’re not allowed to mount them! :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ahhh, but brushing up against them can get you in trouble!! :wink:

Easy tiger, good luck with the test on Tuesday JayHoe :wink:.

marcustandy:

JayHoe:

Ahhh, but brushing up against them can get you in trouble!! :wink:

Personal experience? :wink: :smiley:

theghostofcain:
Personal experience? :wink: :smiley:

15yr old girls or kerbs?? :open_mouth:

:wink:

Good day 2 day. Bad start great end.

Did reverse manoevre twice, each time with a comment from the linstructor like ‘you got a lot of bend in it’ or 'look where the cones are you need to compensate. Then the other chap did it. He then had to uncouple - did it all ok, and each step in my mind was the same. I had to recouple.

• checked the trailer (lights, tyres nuts etc on off side)
  • checked rear doors and light clusters
  • started on 2nd side checking wheels etc
  • checked trailer brake was on
  • checked papers at front of trailer
  • backed the tractor up trailer and then checked the height
  • back on to trailer - clunki
  • 2 pulls - ok
  • dog clip in king pin
  • connect suzies
  • release trailer brake
  • tap number plate
  • I want to do a light check and rolling brake check (‘brake check please’)
  • got in the cab, started her up, about to roll - STOP! shouts instructor, switch off the engine. What have you forgotten? I ran thru my mind and couldn’t think of anything. 'Get out and lets go thru it step by step.

BLOODY LEGS!!! I left the legs down!

I have beaten myself up over it all day, constantly running thru the entire couple/uncouple sequence. At least I won’t make THAT mistake again.

I drove first for about 90 mins and made NO errors :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The rest of the drive was ok all day, not getting picked up on anything. At the end of the day we went back on the pad. First reverse was ok again with a single comment from the instructor - the second one I got bang in on my own with no comments at all. I think that it is really getting there.

So a weekend off (but all driving in my car is BIG and to test standard for practice). Next Monday will be whatever we feel we need/want to go over. (So I guess a couple uncouple is in order!! :smiley: :smiley: )

The only thing I have any concern over is the reverse and I know that I can do it. I shall just remember the mantra, ‘Don’t be a something that rhymes with shunt, take a shunt’. I am happy to take one or even two minors to get it in the bay if that is what it needs.

Thanks for all your kind words of support. They are much appreciated guys.

Cheers

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: thats excellent advice it couldn have put it better :laughing: :laughing:

All the best to you John :wink:

Your driving seems to be going well John so dont
let that error get to you as these errors will and do
happen. If you look back through the forums you
will see drivers dropping trailers ect so all you
can do is concentrate and double check and
dont get distracted.

One thing I am not to sure on is can you double check
on the test as I think I read somewhere on
here that someone did it but the examiner did not
really like it but am not sure if you could get minors
or as it something to do with the time given for
the uncoupling/coupling exercise. any Ideas :question:

Good luck :smiley:

Well, final day training today. We got to choose any area we felt we particularly wanted to re-cover. I chose reverses (for piece of mind) and couple/uncouple and finally the Abingdon one-way system.

1st reverse was a bit dodgy, took a shunt and got it in ok. Second was fine. So I feel happy about it.

The couple and uncouple was all straightforward, just be methodical and all is fine.

Abingdon 1-way was also no problem. We spent the rest of the day driving around and also asking advice for certain situations. I am happy that I am as prepared as I can reasonably be.

My test is 8:30 tomorrow morning. So I have to get to the training school at 7am (so leave home at 6:30am). I think that the biggest worry is if there is snow on the DSA pad as if you can’t see the lines they cancel tests. They won’t sweep them as it is a health and safety issue :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I would offer to sweep them myself!!

So, please think of me, and if you see a roll-right artic in the Abingdon area between 8:30 and 10am, please be helpful and give me space!!! :slight_smile:

Cheers and I will post the result when I get home.

good luck mate ,but i don’t think you really need it. :wink:

OPened the curtains this morning to be faced with a blanket of white - ‘arrrgghh! they’re gonna cancel!’

After brekkie I set off for the training school. Theroads were ok as it was all slush. However, on arrival, I saw that the reversing pad was still completely white, you couldn’t see the lines :frowning: By 7am, when the instructor arrived it had half gone, so I am in with a chance :slight_smile:

Arrived at the test station (Culham) about 20 mins early. There was the head honcho and also ‘mirrors’ mike in attendance. I got the head honcho.

I set up for my reverse after 2 simple show me/tell me Q’s. (Both times I have been asked to demonstrate the horn! Toughie!!) The first half of the reverse was spot on, but I didn’t have quite enough bend to get it in the box, so I put on a bit more. I lined up to the box but was a bit close on the near side. I corrected and slipped it in the box.

Next was the controlled brakeing excercise. That went fine as well (although I think I was a tad under 20 mph). Next out of the centre, immediately pulled up for uphil and then downhill each side of a bridge. Again both without incident (phew! I often start to get confused in the order of things to do between the two!).

Out on the road along some twisties (one corner you can only take at around 5mph after a virtual stop as it is so sharp and blind). Next came across a dustcart working. I slowed my approach then signalled to pass - ok. Along a bit further there were some cars parked on my side. I again slowed, signalled and went for it - only to see a car suddenly appear :frowning:. Fortunately, while it was still a way off, someone pulled out a side road in front of him, slowed him right up so I was passed the cars before my positioning would be an issue for him.

More pootling round country roads and then a left turn for the gear excercise. Unfortunately there was a cycle in front of me. Do I pass or do I wait? Either is valid as there is almost certainly time to pass. I decide to hang back. The gear excercise went ok.

Eventually came to a roundabout under the A34. ‘Take the first exit, A34 north to abingdon.’ So here I am on the A34, I think to myself ‘OK, we are going in to Abingdon to tackle the 1-way system then back home’…

Nope! Straight past the Abingdon exit on towards Oxford… and into solid traffic, then seconds later an ambulance passes. We shuffle along for a few minutes - it is several miles to the next exit :frowning: So, I am thinking, this is gonna be a no test as we will run out of time. Luckily, it keeps moving then clears for a minute so I get to the Oxford Exit. On the bridge we can see the traffic (and whatever accident is causing it is totally blocked on the A34 - so lucky escape.

However, we have eaten up a lot of time and head back to the centre. When we get there, we do not pull onto the pad for the couple/uncouple, but at the side of the centre. ■■■■! It IS either a no test or I have had a serious at some point.

He looks at me and say ’ I want you to uncouple’ Phew again!! As I get out of the cab, I notice my instructor plus a couple of others plus around 3 students watching me. I park next to the trailer. 'OK I want you to couple up as though you have never seen this trailer before.

Once again, I slowly and methodically work thru all the steps (Remembering to raise the bloody legs this time :slight_smile: ) and ask for a rolling brake check and light check. He asks for a light check. Easy.

He gets into the cab and says…

‘Congratulations Mr JayHoe, you have passed!’ :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I got a total of 5 minors, same as I did on my Cat C. They were…

1. Reverse. (I got it in without a shunt however according to the examiner ‘you took a bloody long time!’)
  2. Steering, 2 minors. Twice I took junctions a bit too wide. I was aware of one but hadn’t noticed the other/
  3. Observation. Insufficient at one junction.
  4. Approach speed. At one junction I approached to quickly (could be the same junction as above I suppose.

So all in all I am over the moon! So a big thankyou to Sean of Rollright of Enstone for his patient, calm teaching and quiet sense of humour. And you guys for your support on here.

Woo hoooo!!! I can drive bendies! I can drive bendies!

Well Done JayHoe. Are you pleased by any chance?:lol: Enjoy :wink:.

Congratulations John on passing class 1 :smiley: :smiley:

Fantastic news, And an excellent write up of how the test went. Bet your on cloud 9 at the moment.

Congratulations m8 - an interesting read. My test was a blur :blush:

Congratulations John, very well done, well written story too!

Good Luck m8e.