C+E Training started

Hey everyone. So I started my CE Training today. Spent some time driving and a test route. I must say since I’ve done my C training I have gotten really rusty. Not getting my gears right all the time as I am rushing, trying to tell myself to stop and take my time. Also when moving off the truck bounes because I’m not applying the right pressure to the gas. (Didn’t have a problem on C), so don’t know how I’m doing it now. Im tending to overcompensate when turning left especially, im taking it too wide. Spent some time on reverse today also, difficult first few goes (I knew it would be). I can do it okay when the instructor talks me through it but on my own its a total mess. I can get the angle to get it in the box ok but Im putting too much bend in the trailer to bring it round into the bay. So a lot of work still to go. Also done a recouple, the other guy im training with done the uncouple. Found it a bitty difficult with one of the aux lines because of the angle I have to put it in at, have to put a bit of weight into it and there aint much room because the trailer has a fridge on it. All in all I am enjoying it but its gonna be hard work to get up to test standard. Not sure I can pull it off.
Don’t know if I’ve done this right but I’ve tried to include a picture.

sure you can pull it off. you got to think positive. bet you don’t think too much about driving a car or even a cat c. i’m sure you’ll have a much better day tomorrow. don’t think about what you’ve done, but what you’ve got to do.

best of luck :smiley:

wdf76:
sure you can pull it off. you got to think positive. bet you don’t think too much about driving a car or even a cat c. i’m sure you’ll have a much better day tomorrow. don’t think about what you’ve done, but what you’ve got to do.

best of luck :smiley:

As above plus try to relax and enjoy it (easier said than done I know :laughing: )
Listen to your instructor.
Slow it down for junctions/ roundabouts
Plenty of mirror work

I only passed my C+E 2 weeks ago so I know what a difference the extra length is to a Class C. There are plenty of posts on the site to give you some guidance. If your not sure just ask and somebody here will have an answer for you.

Good luck.

stay positive kitty kat your doing really well tommorrow is another day… you havent driven a truck for while so dont worry you will be fine its only your first day , who is your instructor ■■? and do you mind if i ask how much its costing :smiley:

Just remember if everyone was born to do it, you wouldn’t need instruction. Sounds like you are doing fine.

Best of luck to you :wink:

Thanks everyone for your responses. Craigie, Paul is my instructor this time and it cost me around £1200. You thinking of doing it?

craigiej:
stay positive kitty kat your doing really well tommorrow is another day… you havent driven a truck for while so dont worry you will be fine its only your first day , who is your instructor ■■? and do you mind if i ask how much its costing :smiley:

KittyKat:
Don’t know if I’ve done this right but I’ve tried to include a picture.

Hi KittyKat,

That’s a great post, and you did the piccy bit ok too!! :smiley:

:bulb: The ‘preview’ feature is your friend. :wink:

I’d say that you’re doing just fine for the stage of your training that you’re at, so please just carry on and enjoy it.

Hey kitty i got quoted 850 for my c+e with GTG. what else did you get or is that with vat ?

Vernon1987:
Hey kitty i got quoted 850 for my c+e with GTG. what else did you get or is that with vat ?

6 days Im on and that will have the vat on too. Just a question to anyone. Can this training count towards the dcpc or not?

KittyKat:

Vernon1987:

6 days Im on and that will have the vat on too. Just a question to anyone. Can this training count towards the dcpc or not?

Only if the school have registered the course with JAUPT. The only way you will know that is by asking your instructor.

KittyKat:

Vernon1987:

Does that 6th day include the weekend aswel ? i will be booking up sometime :slight_smile: i hope you all the best. let us know how you get on day by day.

Dont worry too much KK this is your first day and sounds like you are doing fine , if your taking too wide turns at least not going to hit kurb if it happens on test as long as you dont cause another driver to slow down you should only get a minor for it look in your mirrors as going round corner and see where your wheels are and then try and keep them that drains width away as you turn or if really worried about it get your instructor to take you into an industrial site that has a lot of turns thats what one of petes trainers did with me I did so many left and right turns that by the end of it was doing them naturally didnt have to think about it at all all the best with it you can do it if I can anyone can :wink:

jen x

Hello KittyKat, you sound to be doing fine to me. I passed c+e only last Thursday. Drive how your instructor tells you, remember to slow right down for junctions. Any problems with gears will soon go away. And you will soon get the hang of the reversing exercise. Good luck and keep us informed how you get on.

kitty kat i dont know what to do i dont know whether to do bus or c+e , i found it really hard to get work in glasgow area
so i dont know what to do … you sound like your doing well ■■ im sure you will nail it and someone on here will give you a big yorkie bar :smiley:

Dont worry to much listen to your instructor & remember that it is not a “Russian” gear box

Dont worry too much about the reverse either I struggled with it ( failed my test due to that ) just take your time & dont over think if necessary go & get a toy artic & use that to some reversing on the floor at home ( I was given this info & it did help a little )

Had a phone call yesterday from a training comp in my area asking if wanted to start my CE training today as the person that was gonna do it called off but due to circumstances I had to decline now kicking myself as would have liked to do it but never mind will have to wait a few weeks :cry: :cry: :cry:

KittyKat:
Spent some time on reverse today also, difficult first few goes (I knew it would be). I can do it okay when the instructor talks me through it but on my own its a total mess. I can get the angle to get it in the box ok but Im putting too much bend in the trailer to bring it round into the bay.

Probably the best advice I was given (and the simplest) came from this forum: When looking in your mirrors, push the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. Had an ok drive this morning. Getting out of the habit of making the unit rock about when turning corners and improving with the gear use. At one point when sitting at traffic lights my instructor said “we are going to go straight ahead at this junction” I could see that there was a bend down the road I was going into to so took it nice and slow, and the instructor says, “right up the gears” so concentrating on that wizzed through the bend which also had a low bridge lol. I knew I should have probably took it in 5th but because Im being prompted to get my speed up, went whizzing through in 6th instead. After around an hour of driving, we stopped for tea then it was the other guys turn to drive. He drove for around an hour too when we went back to the yard to do some reversing. Paul (my instructor) is leaving me to do this myself now, which is good. I am quite confident at the start, full right lock then left and straighten up. Its at this point still at the angle that I am mostly putting the bend in the trailer too late and also putting too much bend so I am having to take a shunt to get it into the box. It is coming together in my head but I still get muddled at times because I am over concentrating. After some reversing I done the uncouple and the other guy recoupled, no probs. We will be doing the whole uncouple/recouple from tomorrow or Friday instead of one doing one bit and one doing the other.

After lunch, out for some more driving. Started off ok, went down some really tight hilly country roads. It was quite scary, I don’t even drive country roads in my car. Towards the end of my driving session my concentration did start to lapse because I kept messing my gears up again. Was really peed off with myself because I know I am capable. After an hour went back to GTG for some tea as there was a test on, so waited for them to go away to do some more reversing. Still having trouble judging how much bend to put in the trailer and when.

I did enjoy today a lot more than yesterday because I can see some improvement but still lapsing concentration. :slight_smile:

Vernon1987:

KittyKat:

Vernon1987:

Does that 6th day include the weekend aswel ? i will be booking up sometime :slight_smile: i hope you all the best. let us know how you get on day by day.

No weekend. They only do Mon-Fri. Will you be booking up for Glasgow or Edinburgh?

It’s all coming together. It might be taking time but you will be fine. It will all start to click tomorrow and you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Keep chin up. You’ll be fine.

OnlyAlan:
Probably the best advice I was given (and the simplest) came from this forum: When looking in your mirrors, push the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go.

That is a good way to think about it. Another useful tip is:-

“Turn the steering wheel towards whichever mirror you can see the trailer in to straighten up”

KittyKat:
so I am having to take a shunt to get it into the box

Dont beat yourself up about taking a shunt. Be very happy if you can get the trailer in with a shunt each time. The test is won and lost mostly out on the road so dont become a reversing perfectionist at the expense of the roadwork.

Sounds like you are doing great so far. Have loads of self belief and it will come good on the day.