Bye bye stupid speed limits

hiya maybe the idea of lifting the limit between say 10pm and 6am would have been a good trial at first
the night men could use the speed when granny and ganpar are in bed ssssnnnooooozzzzziiiiinnnnngggg.

mac12:
Is it? There is a lot of roads where 30 is to fast let alone 50, it only needs one accident and limit will be back down. Same with the police most no trucks go over 40 and don’t bother now watch them get everyone over 50.[/quote

I remember back in the early 1950s the limit for HGVs was 20mph. When I was about ten years old a family friend gave me and my Dad a lift in his AEC to London to visit my Aunt, he got done for speeding on the A1 in Nottinghamshire. Gutted it spoilt his 28 year clean record.

How did truckers ever get the job done sticking to a 20 mph limit?

For those of you bleating on about people ‘hanging the job out’ or driving deliberately to hold others up, spare a thought for those of us who are being tracked against our will, and issued with company disciplinary and penalties for going over the set limits.
I for one look forward to the increase on SC where the new speed limits are changing!

I’ll be looking forward to doing 50 over the A66. Yes I did say I did 40 but because its the limit and what we were expected to do. I’ll just be setting CC at 50 and doing it from Scotch Corner to Penrith apart from Warcop and the 40 MPH limits. There’s no way am I doing Warcop bends at 50 loaded. It’ll be nice not to be holding up the paddies and the scots. I don’t think 50 on the dual carriageway bits will bother too many people as there’s not a lot of traffic on a night so they can pass OK.

We’ve only two runs on a night that’ll benefit from the new limits and both involve going over the A66. I’ll just have to remember its still 40 in Scotland.

Twoninety88:
For those of you bleating on about people ‘hanging the job out’ or driving deliberately to hold others up, spare a thought for those of us who are being tracked against our will, and issued with company disciplinary and penalties for going over the set limits.

I wonder how many companies doing the tracking are aware of the changes. Certainly at mine there’s been no notices put up and nothing said. Talking to a driver last night he wasn’t even aware it had been made legal as he’d not seen anything about it. I have to say I agree as its hardly been advertised and had I not seen it on here I’d never have known. I’m fully expecting one week to have a sea of red on the chart they put up in the office so I think I’ll print off the govt notice linked on this forum.

happyone:

nick2008:

Casper1877:
Speed limit upto 50 on dual carriageways, derrrr, it is early, is it a proposal that it’s going upto 60 or is that legal now aswell

nothings legal yet

speed limit going up to 50 mph on a roads and 60 mph on dual carriageways
from 6th of April, so no change for a lot of drivers.

But I’m right it’s not legal YET look at the date…

chester1:
I don’t mind anyone keeping to the speed limits it’s just those sitting there with a wry smile on there faces knowing the are just holding people up for the sake of it then come Friday they are up with the rest of em that pee me off . But what pees me of just as much is the morons that call people heroes just for cracking on with there jobs if it’s safe to do so . I also think most of these people that are ■■■■ about speed are the new breed of people coming into the industry from other walks of life having been laid off because they have been so inificiant in previous professions that thay or there jobs where no longer viable . Now don’t get me wrong I have days when I dawdle I have days when I crack on but on the days I dawdle if there’s trafic behind me il up it a bit until I can give em room to pass but on days I’m cracking on il sit patiently until it’s safe to pass and hope they are professional enough to give me the room to pass

So I’m a newbie cause I’ve stuck to the legal limit most of the time… How long you been driving for a living then ol boy me it’s only been a mear 34 years in road haulage so I obviously don’t count also being the only thing I’ve not driven is fuel tankers I must only be a newbie :unamused: :unamused:

Some naïve comments relating to increase in speeds.

Sounds so great been able to drive faster increased speed I bet employers transport managers are laughing up their sleeve at this increase knowing that they can get their drivers to drive further more drops more pick ups for no extra money quids in they are.

Im sure now that this as been achieved hauliers and their various associations will be campaigning and lobbying in the not to distant further when the new government is elected to increase speed limits further

My confident prediction is that come next week all that will happen will be… NOTHING. There’ll still be folk travelling at speeds ranging from 35mph to 56mph, so we will not notice a difference save a little less mirror checking and a little less slowing for speed cameras.

nick2008:

chester1:
I don’t mind anyone keeping to the speed limits it’s just those sitting there with a wry smile on there faces knowing the are just holding people up for the sake of it then come Friday they are up with the rest of em that pee me off . But what pees me of just as much is the morons that call people heroes just for cracking on with there jobs if it’s safe to do so . I also think most of these people that are ■■■■ about speed are the new breed of people coming into the industry from other walks of life having been laid off because they have been so inificiant in previous professions that thay or there jobs where no longer viable . Now don’t get me wrong I have days when I dawdle I have days when I crack on but on the days I dawdle if there’s trafic behind me il up it a bit until I can give em room to pass but on days I’m cracking on il sit patiently until it’s safe to pass and hope they are professional enough to give me the room to pass

So I’m a newbie cause I’ve stuck to the legal limit most of the time… How long you been driving for a living then ol boy me it’s only been a mear 34 years in road haulage so I obviously don’t count also being the only thing I’ve not driven is fuel tankers I must only be a newbie :unamused: :unamused:

Same here Nick, been in the job since 1983ish & try to keep to the limits (set by government & enforced by police) occasionally I’ll put my foot down & I don’t worry about Trolls calling me a Moron for keeping my licence clean when I keep to the speed limits.

As for ‘Heroes’ sitting on my Arse, half way into the other lane, that’ll only make me stay at that speed & not pull over to let them go. Had a classic case yesterday on the A507-Flitwick to Shefford, nice wide road in places but a bit narrow in others, I kept it well over to the left & kept it below 40 on the wide bits to let the traffic past, but I’m not going to keep pulling into lay-bys & going twice around roundabouts for the sake of 5 miles just to let Mr Chester1 do 56 up to the next wagon that’s Peeing him off. Lol.

Roll on 50 mph, but we will still upset the Hero 56 mph Brigade. [emoji57]

viking35dp:

Sounds so great been able to drive faster increased speed I bet employers transport managers are laughing up their sleeve at this increase knowing that they can get their drivers to drive further more drops more pick ups for no extra money quids in they are.

Im sure now that this as been achieved hauliers and their various associations will be campaigning and lobbying in the not to distant further when the new government is elected to increase speed limits further

Yes better productivity is another benefit of it and who knows, if your company happens to increase turn over maybe some of the extra profits might just filter down to our pay packets…

m1cks:
I’m wondering why the OP ends up on the A3 if travelling between Horley and Sheffield?
I’ll be making much more use of the A217 to reach the M25 now.

I don’t always do that run - it was a one-off. I live near the A3 so use it quite a bit, usually in a car. I didn’t use it last night.

Last night I went round the east side and went M11/A14/A1 to avoid the posted 90-min delays on the M25 in west Surrey, so the 50mph limits on the A14 (part of which has an average speed check although all the other truckers were ignoring it) and the A1 applied. Normally I’d just use the M25 and M1 which is shorter, but not always quicker because of the two sets of roadworks on the M1.

ajt:
Yes better productivity is another benefit of it and who knows, if your company happens to increase turn over maybe some of the extra profits might just filter down to our pay packets…

Only 2 runs we do on nights get any benefit and by a whopping 20 minutes which isn’t enough to do an extra load even if you add it up over a whole week.

ajt:

viking35dp:

[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1] STOP IT !
You’re making my sides split open !

If you were working in a factory and the management said they were turning up the production line would you be cheering?
At least we get to the RDC 10 minutes earlier for the 2 hour queue!

mikeallington:
If you were working in a factory and the management said they were turning up the production line would you be cheering?
At least we get to the RDC 10 minutes earlier for the 2 hour queue!

Lol :grimacing:

…still less than we were doing in the '80’s :laughing:

carryfast-yeti:

I agree but in the 80s the roads didn’t have the amount of traffic on them and the amount of knobs driving faster cars

nick2008:

carryfast-yeti:

I agree but in the 80s the roads didn’t have the amount of traffic on them and the amount of knobs driving faster cars

Just faster trucks :wink: :wink:

ajt:

Wishful thinking there mate.

My company recently installed a new IT system that seriously boosted productivity in that department. Guess which of the following options is true.

1 - The IT staff got a raise.

2 - 30 IT staff were made redundant.

BillyHunt:
I feel sad for those that like to hang the job out by sitting at 39 mph, they’re going to need some new excuses for taking their time now. Although I do find it odd that, while those drivers that don’t want to break the 40 mph speed limit on SC, don’t mind giving it a full gas 56 mph when they get on a DC.

I feel sad for those that sit on the limiter risking their licences that are too thick to realize that their bosses are secretly laughing their knobs off at them, because they cannot believe that they do it willingly (I don’t actually, I think they are a bunch of ■■■■ Whits…, but just go with it for now)
they’re going to need some new excuses for not being able to meet the bosses new schedules set, as they can not go any faster than what they already have been.
Although I do find it odd that some drivers are brainwashed into thinking that driving to the rules to keep their licenses is seen as ‘hanging the job out’ and ‘taking their time’ :unamused:

Bet your boss loves you mate. :wink: