Buying a van

Three years ago I replaced my much-loved old GMC pick-up with a Volkswagen LT; the Sprinter shape, former disabled minibus and ideal for my use as it’s SWB and fits in a supermarket parking space, but high enough to get my motorbikes in for shows etc.

Last month a car-driving muppet pulled out on me (said he didn’t see me, thank God I wasn’t on the bike!) and trashed the front nearside, insurers say it’s not economically viable to repair.

So I need a new van; currently looking at a 2002 Iveco Daily SWB, anyone got experience of them regarding reliability, and especially what sort of mpg I can expect from them? Will mostly be used for local stuff but i do sometimes have to go to Portsmouth or Scotland to visit my kids so if they’re juice-heavy it’s a no-no. Don’t fancy a Transit or Sprinter (reliability and rot specifically seem to be major issues) and a VW Transporter’s too small pluis they’re so popular they’re stupid money even for rotten ones.

Mods please move if this isn’t in the right forum.

As well built and as reliable as their trucks

blue estate:
As well built and as reliable as their trucks

Hmmm. I’ve done more than a few miles in them, and whilst they’re horribly basic inside I’ve never had one let me down either.

Ivecos rot as bad as Transits do, its a Ford commercial vehicle thing.

Wife has a 2 litre Renault Trafic and it returns just over 40MPG and even manages 33MPG with a 26ft twin axle caravan on the back.

Might i suggest you have a look at Toyota’s Hiace as well, fitted with the bomb proof Hilux 2.5 engine, not all turbocharged though so may have to look about, grey unusual models worth investigating might even find a 3 litre Hilux/Landcruiser engined one about, that’s a superb engine.
Doubt you’ll find anything more reliable, not cheap because they are well know for being durable but don’t carry silly scene tax like Transporters.

Juddian:
Might i suggest you have a look at Toyota’s Hiace as well, fitted with the bomb proof Hilux 2.5 engine, not all turbocharged though so may have to look about, grey unusual models worth investigating might even find a 3 litre Hilux/Landcruiser engined one about, that’s a superb engine.
Doubt you’ll find anything more reliable, not cheap because they are well know for being durable but don’t carry silly scene tax like Transporters.

Yes, thanks mate; you’re spot on about Transporters, even complete sheds seem to go for silly money. Did look at Hiaces but as you say they’re not cheap either.

Just heard from a friend of mine who runs a roofing business in Derbyshire, he runs two Iveco Dailys and rates them above Sprinters and Transits. The attraction for me is that they’re built on a proper chassis so structural rot should be less of an issue.

@ Conor; yes they’re nice vans but I prefer rear wheel drive.

Dont have to pay scene tax on a transporter. Get one from ireland. There about half the price go on done deal, its like gumtree of ireland, can only be used as vans there thats why there cheaper & pay about £70 change over at dvla to uk reg.

Horrible rattly things. Avoid…You can’t beat a Sprinter unfortunately. I’ve done hundreds thousands of miles in both, I know which I would choose. Never mind the “my mate told me” ■■■■■■■■.

Look at what RM use if your going for a used one get down the auctions anything that’s RM AA RAC you can be sure it’s going to run. I know RM work them hard but their all leased so kept running

I would not go for an Iveco,Sprinter is the road to take.

Bear in mind I’m on a limited budget (up to £2500) and anything I buy is going to be pretty old anyway.

I’ve had a Sprinter before, bought it in order to move down here in 2003. It was a 1999 310 LWB high-top; brilliant van but much too big for what i neeed now, and I’m firmly of the opinion that Mercedes vans might be mechanically peerless but they rot like nothing else on earth. Furthermore the later Sprinters aren’t nearly as good as the older ones were. One of the reasons I bought that VW was because it was of that era, but very low mileage and the body was in good nick.

As for the MMTM being ■■■■■■■■, Vern; read it again. The bloke owns and runs two, he don’t just drive them; and he’s a good mate, I’m happy to take his word as safe. Sprinters are VERY nice to drive, but from experience owning one is a different matter when it’s your pocket the repair bills come out of.

Been looking round and found another VW actually. Might have a look at that, and it’s a TDI so a bit more grunt up hills.

I don’t need to read it again Bud,it’s just my opinion as well as his. Good luck with whatever you end up with. :smiley:

As for owning one the engine is bullet ■■■■ turbo issues can be sorted and repacement turbos wont kill you brakes are ok just remember the hand brake has a separate pads to the main brake on the rear wheels. Iveco parts are very reasonable. I had one on a 2002 a 90bhp luton there is a good forum for them as well. Have looked at the 05-09 masters.

As with all things car and van its German or Japanese, as stated the Hi Ace is world class narrow and long and totally reliable and good for car parks.

You get what you pay for, the initial outlay against cost during ownership and resale values far outweigh the overall experience
ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Hiace- … SwBnVW-Ydu

alix776:
As for owning one the engine is bullet ■■■■ turbo issues can be sorted and repacement turbos wont kill you brakes are ok just remember the hand brake has a separate pads to the main brake on the rear wheels. Iveco parts are very reasonable. I had one on a 2002 a 90bhp luton there is a good forum for them as well. Have looked at the 05-09 masters.

Cheers. Had similar issues with the handbrake on the LT, it’s got the mini-drums and they’re a royal PITA to sort if they’ve been neglected; mine had.

Have you got a link to the forum please?

Conor, word of warning about towing caravans behind vans; always pay particular attention to stress on the caravans A frame. When I was racing I towed caravans all over Europe behind Sprinters and without exception they ALL eventually cracked the A frame. This has something to do with the harsh suspension of the van transmitting shocks through the caravan A frame.

This isn’t a problem if the van is fully freighted as it “wallows” along, but empty it will eventually give you problems. That’s a shame actually as aerodynamically speaking it makes perfect sense to tow a caravan behind a big van as they never misbehave or start weaving.

Sidevalve:
Bear in mind I’m on a limited budget (up to £2500) and anything I buy is going to be pretty old anyway.

I’ve had a Sprinter before, bought it in order to move down here in 2003. It was a 1999 310 LWB high-top; brilliant van but much too big for what i neeed now, and I’m firmly of the opinion that Mercedes vans might be mechanically peerless but they rot like nothing else on earth. Furthermore the later Sprinters aren’t nearly as good as the older ones were. One of the reasons I bought that VW was because it was of that era, but very low mileage and the body was in good nick.

As for the MMTM being ■■■■■■■■, Vern; read it again. The bloke owns and runs two, he don’t just drive them; and he’s a good mate, I’m happy to take his word as safe. Sprinters are VERY nice to drive, but from experience owning one is a different matter when it’s your pocket the repair bills come out of.

Been looking round and found another VW actually. Might have a look at that, and it’s a TDI so a bit more grunt up hills.

Sprinters are okay to drive. Very slidey if there’s no weight on, but that can be a good thing :grimacing: (powerslid a rigid once, scared the poop out a kid on the pavement). We’ve got a Vauxhall Vivaro at work. Very nice. Bit underpowered with load. 6th gear just loses speed.

I’m currently in a 13 plate Crafter. 274.000 miles with a brand spanking new engine. Shame the knob before me wrecked the 2 wings squeezing through a width restriction, otherwise as new! :confused:

Vauxhall Movano/Renault Master are good tools.

MickM

MTM12:
Vauxhall Movano/Renault Master are good tools.

MickM

I liked my Movano, till the clutch slave cylinder packed in. What a bloody palaver to fix so swapped it for a Transit :frowning: