Buying a van

the maoster:
Conor, word of warning about towing caravans behind vans; always pay particular attention to stress on the caravans A frame. When I was racing I towed caravans all over Europe behind Sprinters and without exception they ALL eventually cracked the A frame. This has something to do with the harsh suspension of the van transmitting shocks through the caravan A frame.

This isn’t a problem if the van is fully freighted as it “wallows” along, but empty it will eventually give you problems. That’s a shame actually as aerodynamically speaking it makes perfect sense to tow a caravan behind a big van as they never misbehave or start weaving.

Dixon Bate Shocklink is the kiddy.
Very good point though.

the maoster:
Conor, word of warning about towing caravans behind vans; always pay particular attention to stress on the caravans A frame. When I was racing I towed caravans all over Europe behind Sprinters and without exception they ALL eventually cracked the A frame. This has something to do with the harsh suspension of the van transmitting shocks through the caravan A frame.

This isn’t a problem if the van is fully freighted as it “wallows” along, but empty it will eventually give you problems. That’s a shame actually as aerodynamically speaking it makes perfect sense to tow a caravan behind a big van as they never misbehave or start weaving.

Anything on cart springs. Stuff like 4x4/pickups have the same problem, as you say, they do always go eventually.

Shocklink works but is pricey. My main concern with towing a caravan with a van would be looking like a traveller though.

Do travellers wear a high vis, have a blue flashing earpiece and walk with a limp ■■ (only jestin honest :slight_smile: )

Handy thread this…

When I come to change my 4x4, I may change to a van, but have it ‘half converted’ to have rear seats and windows for the kids, and still be able to tow a large caravan - hence having a 4x4 now…

I thought you’d be ok towing with a coil sprung van and not needing the shock link attachment, compared with towing with a leaf sprung van though??

As I’m also thinking of buying a van so it’s an interesting thread, but I can’t work out why some have VAT added on and some don’t. Also what are LDV Maxus like. The price is right but I wonder why.

knight2:
As I’m also thinking of buying a van so it’s an interesting thread, but I can’t work out why some have VAT added on and some don’t. Also what are LDV Maxus like. The price is right but I wonder why.

I stand to be corrected but the VAT thing is because the first person to buy the van when new was not VAT registered so paid the full amount including VAT up front, whereas a VAT registered buyer will have claimed the VAT back from the taxman, so therefore the private seller would sell the van inclusive of VAT so the buyer would not be able to claim it back. It sounded less complicated in my head! :smiley:

Re LDV, I’ve never owned one but have heard plenty of horror stories about them. I wouldn’t consider one unless the price was ridiculously low, and even then I’d wonder if it was because I was buying someone else’s problems!

Thanks for that, :smiley: :smiley:

I bought a 2000 reg when it was three years old and ran it every day for ten years. Highly reliable, very manoeuvrable thanks to excellent turning circle.
Big mirrors good, thin wide angle ones useless. Biggest problem for me was the poor closure of side door. The good people at the Iveco parts place near me were kind enough to laugh politely when I once asked if there was any kit to solve this problem.

Norman
I take it that was a LDV Convoy, most of the complaints I’ve heard about LDV’s have been bodywork related. I want a van to use as a day van, have been looking at an old american day van but the running costs put me off a bit.

Iveco Daily mate.
Before that I did have a K reg Leyland Daf 200 (Sherpa) for two years. Sold it for exactly the same price I had paid for it. As for Maxus, I wouldn’t be seen dead in one just because of the way they look, thanks.

Norman Conquest:
I bought a 2000 reg when it was three years old and ran it every day for ten years. Highly reliable, very manoeuvrable thanks to excellent turning circle.
Big mirrors good, thin wide angle ones useless. Biggest problem for me was the poor closure of side door. The good people at the Iveco parts place near me were kind enough to laugh politely when I once asked if there was any kit to solve this problem.

Cheers Norman. What sort of mpg did you get from it overall? I’m assuming it was the 2.3 engine not the 2.8 as fitted in the bigger ones?

Well I did end up buying an Iveco. SWB low-top, 70K miles, 2.3 engine; it goes like stink but the ride’s a fair bit harsher than the VW, nothing I won’t get used to though.

Very solid for a 12 year old van, virtually rust-free, handles well and if anything the turning circle’s even better than the VW, which itself was pretty impressive. First run from Macclesfield to West Wales hints at mid-30’s mpg which is good enough. Excellent seat and driving position.

So far, pleased with it.