Buying a v8 scania

I am looking at buying a 144 v8 scania any problems to look out for

yes, the age of it and the price of it :slight_smile:

144 too old you better going for a later 164 or atleast look at a straight 6 ther half a tonne lighter and don’t get hammered I’m to the ground like the v8s. If your buying second hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the for sale and swap section. :wink:

If its second hand and the engine goes wrong it will cost a fortune to fix , take care .!!!

You’ll probably find a dwarf in pink tights throwing rocks at it! :grimacing:

44 Tonne Ton:
You’ll probably find a dwarf in pink tights throwing rocks at it! :grimacing:

am i missing something here?

make sure it has wheeelllzzzzz

and rimzzoorrrzzzzz

and a chocolate steering wheel

Front cab shock absorbers and bushes + rose joints. The cabs can hit hard over rough or undulating roads, common fault.

dont listen to the divs on hear just look how many old ones about not many ivecoes or renaults that age still working pleny of 143s 15 year plus still working though like ya man says cab mountings check the top of the cab jack ram for oil they are £350 blows from the exaust manifolds and the diff leaking im still running a 2001 and its of to the ukraine tomorrow they are a good old tool still economical and powerful you wont be disapointed and all the factors swedish truck parts etc sell all the bits loads cheaper than scania and that lad thats telling you to buy a 164 straight 6 well dont he know a 164 is a 16 litre v8 lol

keith the thief:
and that lad thats telling you to buy a 164 straight 6 well dont he know a 164 is a 16 litre v8 lol

I think you’ll find he said a 164 OR a straight 6. He used to drive for someone with a whole fleet of blinged up Scanias so he’ll know more than most do about them.

Paul

repton:

keith the thief:
and that lad thats telling you to buy a 164 straight 6 well dont he know a 164 is a 16 litre v8 lol

. He used to drive for someone with a whole fleet of blinged up Scanias so he’ll know more than most do about them.

Paul

Don’t think he was asking how to polish em Paul :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry Alex couldn’t resist besides we know you subbed that job out to Jen, we have the pics :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the bolts on the torsion bar are a common failure, if the cab is being jacked over and they snap, it can be very costly

iv been at the job 30 years and believe it or not i know about them as well is the lad a fitter or driver ? mine aint blinged up but they go to work in the last 8 days mine left uk tipped in monaco run empty to satzburg astria loaded more art works back to monaco tipped loaded and back i wouldnt do that unless i had the upmost confidence it used no oil and its done 1010400km the tostion bar isnt the problem its the lower aluminium bracket that bolts to the chassis i just broughta second hand one from scania stowmarket for £150 no drama a constant problem is the bushes in the torsion bar but again no drama a set of big ends mains and thrust are about £200 genuine easy job over a pit and worth doing just for safty your gona have some problems but as i do all my own fitting it is still cheaper than 1200 a month for a new one ithink lol and by the way my main job is subbing for astrans iv lost count how many scanias we have took down and sold and never a drama remember they all wear you could buy a 105 daf like my mate and put 25 litres of oil in it every month

ps my appoligies i didnt read the bit correctly im bunged up with flu about 164 or straight 6

jeeesus!,comma’s,full stops,capitals,please? :unamused: :laughing:

writing is not my forte but running and repairing scanias is i dont thing any one looking for a bit of professional advice before he buys a truck is worried about full stops and capitals only a muppet would pick up on it if you aint got any advise for the man i would stay quite

Still plenty of Irish lads running 144s and 143s and they ain’t known for nurseling a motor.

sssh dont tell every one billy :smiley: :smiley: keith yes i wont fault but if looking for a truck to start up with to many have been hammered in to the ground ive seen this first hand and you never buy a v8 and usually they are on hard work in hilly terrain the 144 is a good lump yes but ask your self this could you put your hand on your heart and say if you were buying a start up truck you would buy a v8 not knowing whether you going to do bulk, containers or general personally also theres the lez problem the 11 or 12 litre red dots are a much better option both in terms of longevity and fuel economy plus you get a 3-4 year out of a 53 54 plate 6 pot than a v8 and you dont have the weight problem. as repton said ive had trucks from an f reg 450 to a new 4 series 470 for 6 years and a couple of years in new v8 and 6 pot 480 reseries. to me its no brainer for a start up personally id be looking at something like a premium or try to find a good stralis 500 which could most likley be had for the money of 144 but these trucks will be much newer and will need much less tlc

keith sounds like you had it from new but not everyone is mechanicly minded

posted from a 54 merc actros 1844 with 956k on the clock and doesnt use and oil :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i dont think the lad is starting up just changing trucks i hear what your saying but a 500 stralis is the newer model you would have to give at least 20k for one 124 s are exporting like wild to tanzania and making strong money wilsons auctions in scotland just sold a heap of customs siezed 144s some irish some english all below the 10 k mark some only 6k my one well i brought it of e bay i was in thailand on hols and seen it we are always on the look out for lhd units to take to bahrain to sell i brought it blind of one of your bling owner drivers it took a day to take all the sh.t of only been maintained by scania he told me i didnt know scania fitted fleet guard filters lol i had to do a lot of work to it oil leaks from the flat plate in the v of the engine etc i brought one from a race team last year with only 575k km on it so they are out there you gota look iv got an actros in my yard ex bernie ecklstones only 168k km from new and 2000 year not all trucks are dogged to death