Buying a truck for 'shows'

Morning folks,

I’ve been having a think over the past few weeks and always liked the thought of owning my own truck. Not exactly and old truck but something along the lines of the last range of Foden or an ECX ERF, to do up a little bit. Just wondering if anyone else has ever done the same thing.

Also anything i need to make sure of or any advice (other than not to do it!) :smiley: , you’ll have to excuse me it’s just a thought I’ve had niggling away!

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Not me personally, but lots of people do, we’ve just done the Brands Hatch show and there were at least a dozen trucks there which were owned purely to attend shows with.

Plenty of money and somewhere to work on it and store it is the first thing you need.

Not a bad idea if you can afford it and would you use it for work too. Here’s two nice ecx’s

IMG_1660.JPG

Not a problem for storage and a place to fix it when work needs to be done, obviously it isn’t going to be cheap but i suppose a hobby like this wouldn’t be a cheap thing anyways! As for putting a truck to work, i don’t have the experience nor would I at the time to set up on my own. As i said its more for a hobby than anything else, and it’d be nice to have my own truck to take to shows so I’ll always have ‘my’ unit for such occasions :slight_smile:

Cheers

Nice idea but remember that if over 7.5 tonnes GVW it will be under EU driver regs

jonnytruckfest:
Not a problem for storage and a place to fix it when work needs to be done, obviously it isn’t going to be cheap but i suppose a hobby like this wouldn’t be a cheap thing anyways! As for putting a truck to work, i don’t have the experience nor would I at the time to set up on my own. As i said its more for a hobby than anything else, and it’d be nice to have my own truck to take to shows so I’ll always have ‘my’ unit for such occasions :slight_smile:

Cheers

Well it seems like a very expensive hobby but if you have the money and you want to do it go for it
I always wanted to own a 143 and restore it and use it for work but wouldn’t have the money to get me started :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

jonnytruckfest:
Morning folks,

I’ve been having a think over the past few weeks and always liked the thought of owning my own truck. Not exactly and old truck but something along the lines of the last range of Foden or an ECX ERF, to do up a little bit. Just wondering if anyone else has ever done the same thing.

Also anything i need to make sure of or any advice (other than not to do it!) :smiley: , you’ll have to excuse me it’s just a thought I’ve had niggling away!

Cheers

Now then Johnny, if you want the best piece of advice anyone will ever give you, get a “house” bought & paid for. Then you can ■■■■■ your wedge on frivolity.

ROG:
Nice idea but remember that if over 7.5 tonnes GVW it will be under EU driver regs

It won’t be under EU regulations if it’s only used for shows.

You would be better to get work with it is there no quarries or docks near you that would get you some loads

Hi johnny did you pass your class 2

jonnytruckfest:
Not a problem for storage and a place to fix it when work needs to be done, obviously it isn’t going to be cheap but i suppose a hobby like this wouldn’t be a cheap thing anyways!

I don’t think it would be that expensive, you could probably pick up a late model ERF for £5,000 and you would always be able to sell it for as much, probably more as it aged. My friend has an H-reg Volvo F16, at its lowest point it was worth £8,000, it’s worth £20,000+ now.

Private VED for six months a year would be about £100, insurance would probably be a similar amount, you won’t win any prizes with it but it wouldn’t be an expensive hobby if you were prepared to do the bulk of the restoration work yourself. And it’s certainly far cheaper to attend a truck show as an exhibitor than as a punter, as well as being far more fun!

Harry Monk:

jonnytruckfest:
Not a problem for storage and a place to fix it when work needs to be done, obviously it isn’t going to be cheap but i suppose a hobby like this wouldn’t be a cheap thing anyways!

I don’t think it would be that expensive, you could probably pick up a late model ERF for £5,000 and you would always be able to sell it for as much, probably more as it aged. My friend has an H-reg Volvo F16, at its lowest point it was worth £8,000, it’s worth £20,000+ now.

Private VED for six months a year would be about £100, insurance would probably be a similar amount, you won’t win any prizes with it but it wouldn’t be an expensive hobby if you were prepared to do the bulk of the restoration work yourself. And it’s certainly far cheaper to attend a truck show as an exhibitor than as a punter, as well as being far more fun!

True them erfs will be worth some money in a few years but not near as much as a 143 or even a early fh16 but it would be a bit cheaper to buy than a 143 at this time and a lot cheaper then a early fh16 if you could even find one

Here we go, an ERF EC11, ripe for restoration.

ebay.co.uk/itm/ERF-EC11-6x2- … 232c963a86

£3,950 + VAT, and if you set up a limited company then you could claim the VAT back as well as the VAT on everything else you spent on it.

Strip the Turners of Soham vinyls off of it and I reckon that would polish up a treat, it’s got a ■■■■■■■ engine, an Eaton gearbox and (probably) a Rockwell back axle, a bulletproof combination, you could do truck shows with that until the day you died!

nearly there:
Hi johnny did you pass your class 2

I start training next month :slight_smile: But keeping that on the down low at the moment, as the less folk know the less work can find out :wink:

Harry Monk:

jonnytruckfest:

That’s some of the reason as well as its cheaper to go show a truck than buy tickets etc! As for the restoration most of that would be done by myself and my dad probably once my dads back up and running :slight_smile: As for winning any prizes when me my dad uncle and his mate went to the truck show at Pickering my uncles mate won second place with a 96’ Volvo FH12 in the classic truck category so I reckon i could have little chance maybe :laughing:

Thanks for the info lads :slight_smile: much appreciated

Cheers

tachograph:

ROG:

Where is the exemption for that please ?

ROG:

tachograph:

ROG:

It doesn’t need an exemption, the vehicle will not be used for the carriage of goods so it doesn’t come in-scope of EU regulations.

My boss has just retired a ERF ECX Y Reg, not sure what he is doing with it but I could send you his details if interested

Steve

tachograph:

ROG:

tachograph:

ROG:

It doesn’t need an exemption, the vehicle will not be used for the carriage of goods so it doesn’t come in-scope of EU regulations.

Thanks - article 1 … should have thought of that !!

Don’t buy a ecx ,If you can get bits and that’s a big if ,you will need deep pockets ,personally I wouldn’t have one if they were free ,they are trouble ,the older ec are the best .