Butlers quarry,Maltby

Chris Webb:
Sorry BD no pics of Butlers but I remember 'em well as I worked next door to their yard at MFS on the Littlewoods contract.
One of our supervisors was sniffing around there one night after summat and fell down one of their pits. :smiley: Caused 6.4 on the Richter scale.
They left Rotherham Road Maltby about 1979 I reckon.

1979 ? Was that when Tarmac bought them out ?

I do have a pic of an S80 tipper 6 legger in an old Foden News,but its a poor picture and I don’t think I’ll be able to scan it well to boot up on here. :frowning:
What other makes of lorries did they have back then mate ? And were they all insulated for tarmac ?

BonkeyDollocks:

Chris Webb:
Sorry BD no pics of Butlers but I remember 'em well as I worked next door to their yard at MFS on the Littlewoods contract.
One of our supervisors was sniffing around there one night after summat and fell down one of their pits. :smiley: Caused 6.4 on the Richter scale.
They left Rotherham Road Maltby about 1979 I reckon.

1979 ? Was that when Tarmac bought them out ?

I do have a pic of an S80 tipper 6 legger in an old Foden News,but its a poor picture and I don’t think I’ll be able to scan it well to boot up on here. :frowning:
What other makes of lorries did they have back then mate ? And were they all insulated for tarmac ?

Not too sure when Tarmac bought 'em out BD but they had moved out of the yard in Maltby by 1980.I don’t think all of them were insulated as I remember seeing them carrying aggregate.They did run some Fodens and Ergo AECs/Albions/Leylands - a lot of them 6-leggers.Sorry can’t be of more help.
A coach firm called Jarvis moved in after they left.

No worries mate,you’ve been more than helpful.Thanks.

I bet that yard every evening was a sight to behold ! All those lovely old tippers all lined up ! The thing is though,you don’t appreciate something until it’s gone ! :frowning:

BonkeyDollocks:
No worries mate,you’ve been more than helpful.Thanks.

I bet that yard every evening was a sight to behold ! All those lovely old tippers all lined up ! The thing is though,you don’t appreciate something until it’s gone ! :frowning:

Aye,and plenty of smoke on a winters morning. :open_mouth:

BD you don’t happen to have any photos of any ECC quarries tippers ?I grew up with these, now part of Bardon aggregates. Your photos are brilliant bring back so many memories ,Tarmac where never big in the westcountry mainly ARC or ECC.

Big Bear:
BD you don’t happen to have any photos of any ECC quarries tippers ?I grew up with these, now part of Bardon aggregates. Your photos are brilliant bring back so many memories ,Tarmac where never big in the westcountry mainly ARC or ECC.

I will look for you seeing as you’re a noobie ! :wink: I’m sure I have a ‘few’ somewhere ! :laughing:

Sorry BD some of the ECC lorries were run under the Heavy Transport name,same job except the Heavy Transport boys were paid more.

hi bd i use to work for butlers at the british leyland dealership in maltby but when i was younger i went with the drivers from the quarry i have some photos of the diverse fleet they ran eg fodens commers aec leyland merc they also ran albions bedfords but i do not have photos of them next week i will be out with a driver who works for tarmac i will see if he has any photos from the early days when tarmac took over paul motyka :

paul motyka:
hi bd i use to work for butlers at the british leyland dealership in maltby but when i was younger i went with the drivers from the quarry i have some photos of the diverse fleet they ran eg fodens commers aec leyland merc they also ran albions bedfords but i do not have photos of them next week i will be out with a driver who works for tarmac i will see if he has any photos from the early days when tarmac took over paul motyka :

That would be great Paul! I’d love to see whatever you have and seeing this topic again has reminded me of a few that Bubbleman has posted up in his tremendous ‘Scrapbook’ thread. I’ll see if I can dig the pictures out and post them up!

hi bd i have some photos of butlers lorries i will try to put them on when i find out how to do it all new to thisgame paul motyka

paul motyka:
hi bd i have some photos of butlers lorries i will try to put them on when i find out how to do it all new to thisgame paul motyka

it’s quite simple actually mate. First sign up to the PhotoBucket site and indicate which photos from your computers hgard drive you’d like to upload and the rest is done for you! I think there’s more detailed instructions elsewhere on the site if you get stuck.

Anyway, here’s the two Butlers pics I mentioned that Bubbleman had posted plus a third from a friend of mine.

I’d like to see those photos of Butlers as well Paul. I used to work next door to their Maltby yard when it was MFS/GGD/Wincanton 1979-2005.

Chris

good morning chris i was having a drink with dave smith last night we both worked at butlers as mechanics he told me he used to work with you at wincantons he told me to say hello and hopes you are well . paul

good morning bd thanks for photos never seen daf before will try to put photos on later.paul

paul motyka:
good morning chris i was having a drink with dave smith last night we both worked at butlers as mechanics he told me he used to work with you at wincantons he told me to say hello and hopes you are well . paul

Hi Paul,was Dave a driver or a fitter at Pullmans as I seem to recall two Dave Smiths over the years I was there. There was a Brian Smith worked in the garage for years from way back when MFS VMU was at Thurcroft.What years was Dave there ask him,I will certainly know him :smiley: .

hi chris dave was a driver for flowerflow i think cant remember when i will have to ask him.paul

paul motyka:
hi chris dave was a driver for flowerflow i think cant remember when i will have to ask him.paul

That’s right Paul,I remember him now on the Safeway Flowerflow job.It was run from Maltby for a start and then from Thurcroft.An ex Maltby warehouse lad called Tommy ran it,can’t think of his second name.I found some ex GGD/Flowerflow motors in Paphos,Cyprus a few years ago,still with UK plates on.

it was tommy hunt;chris i played football with him for wincantons on saturday afternoons one of the lorry drivers i went with for butlers was ken barr who used to drive a 1965 aec 6 wheeler the first lorry i remember going in after butlers he went to tescos on same site as wincantons driving a ford 4 wheeler tjh 551m paul

paul motyka:
it was tommy hunt;chris i played football with him for wincantons on saturday afternoons one of the lorry drivers i went with for butlers was ken barr who used to drive a 1965 aec 6 wheeler the first lorry i remember going in after butlers he went to tescos on same site as wincantons driving a ford 4 wheeler tjh 551m paul

That’s him Tommy Hunt.Kenny Barr was a warehouse supervisor for MFS/GGD and Wincanton,he sadly died a few years ago,a shame,he was a smashing bloke.GGD/Tescos used a warehouse near the site entrance originally,I think they did fruit and veg deliveries around the East Midlands for a start and then moved to Doncaster,then the Gateway contract went in there,after that MFS used that warehouse for textiles.
I sent you a PM,didn’t you get it?

Chris

hi chris -paul i worked with kenny & pete barr first driving job working for wc french at helaby biulding the m18 what year did kenny die -also that butlers daf roy spencer worked at british steel aldwarke same time as me but he left during the 1980 steel strike & he changed his name is he still around -alan