Busy . . . or not?

Not employed by a haulier, drive for an independent landscaping/ building supplies company and things seem have gone really quiet.
Was due to work today but not enough deliveries, which is unusual as its a bank holiday weekend and its normally busy.
Wondered how it is in other sectors at the moment ?

Yep things definitely quieter than last year.
Saying that last 2 weeks been a tad busier but nothing special .
Have actually had the odd day the gaffer says not to come in today .
Hope things improve as I’m much prefer to be busy ( chasing my ■■■ so to speak )
Rather than being back at the yard by 2pm or holed up in services or a lay by.

People are beginning to tighten their belts in preparation of the coming storm, although traffic levels yesterday seem to give lie to that. If you work primarily in the leisure or hospitality industry then I’d not be surprised to see a downturn.

I deliver food so am quite lucky in the respect that people always need to eat.

Our normal source of backloads has nearly dried up.
The steel we deliver out of Cardiff is still as busy, for now.

the maoster:
People are beginning to tighten their belts in preparation of the coming storm, although traffic levels yesterday seem to give lie to that. If you work primarily in the leisure or hospitality industry then I’d not be surprised to see a downturn.

I deliver food so am quite lucky in the respect that people always need to eat.

Pretty much this. We have the mother if all recessions coming up and people with any sense will be tightening their belts NOW in order to see it through.

Just about ticking over where i work, but it’s clear people are going to tighten the belts significantly this winter which will have a huge impact on almost everything

I haven’t noticed any difference tbh, although this week we are busy because we are a driver down (holiday), as there are only 3 of us who can do the pumpovers.

We deliver water treatment products, the only places we would see a drop in orders are swimming pools, theme parks and holidayparks…

trevorking1964:
Our normal source of backloads has nearly dried up.
The steel we deliver out of Cardiff is still as busy, for now.

Some steel from here to Northern Ireland, as well as to the greater EU, now subject to 25% tariffs.
What stays on the British mainland is unaffected.

bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-62672105

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I work for a builders,civils merchant. A lot of our work is new house building and from what I’ve over heard due to the cost of wages, materials and the cost of getting materials to sites there is expected to be a large jump in new house prices. This coupled to an increase in interest rates, could lead to a large downturn in the house building market.
On the other side of the coin , there does seem to be a steady flow of work , with people making improvements to their current property rather than buying another house.

Absolutely flat out balls to the wall. They were even wanting volunteers to work this weekend. As Dunky has said people are making improvements to their homes so this is one of the areas where HJ would win.

However where I do changeover at Ecclefechan it’s been very noticeable this last week or so how much more space there has been. Most nights there’s been 10-20 spaces, last night normally where we end up having to change over in the middle of the yard we still managed to find enough spaces.

Suedehead:
Not employed by a haulier, drive for an independent landscaping/ building supplies company and things seem have gone really quiet.
Was due to work today but not enough deliveries, which is unusual as its a bank holiday weekend and its normally busy.
Wondered how it is in other sectors at the moment ?

very very quiet, The mother of all recession’s is on its way… in my opinion it will be far worse than the inflation busting power cutting seventies, I remember those times we all got through it …no doubt we will plod on through this recession

busy as ever here. i stumbled into a little sideline couple of yrs ago and now that too is bearing fruit.Someone has told the news teams to put out about huge energy price rises to get everyone sheetin themselves.Early on today i saw that martin lewis scaremongering too-now i had a chance meeting with him few yrs back,asked me a favour ,i said i would but he never said thank you [i didnt do his favour tho he didnt know that ]anyhoo hes a real chancer and big ego teet
one things for sure,dont take notice of the news on tv,itll have you in depression. go do exact opposite of any official advice.i worked extra long hours right thru covid and no plenty others who did too.

Glad I went back on the milk last year, it saw me through the financial crisis after 2008, and will again. And this time I’m working part-time (4on-4off), so scope to do extra work if needed.

I’ve decided, for my own sanity and happiness, to stop listening to the news altogether. I’m going to pretend all is well and rosy as long as things tick along, and if the balloon does go up at some point, I have everything in place to life “of the land” so to speak. Axe, rifle, snares, fishing gear, water purification set up, etc, and most importantly, a good woman, of like mind, who is a dab hand at preping whatever I bring home…

corij:
busy as ever here. i stumbled into a little sideline couple of yrs ago and now that too is bearing fruit.Someone has told the news teams to put out about huge energy price rises to get everyone sheetin themselves.Early on today i saw that martin lewis scaremongering too-

one things for sure,dont take notice of the news on tv,itll have you in depression. go do exact opposite of any official advice.i worked extra long hours right thru covid and no plenty others who did too.

A typical household gas and electricity bill will rise to £3,549 a year apparently. Stuck my usage figures into the calculator (look on your bills and it’ll state your annual usage in kWh) and it comes back with £2980, up from £1690. And bear in mind this is with me working nights and I have a disabled son at home all the time so there’s always someone in using electricity and heating.

Take off the £400 the gubbermint is throwing into the pot and it’s up £890, barely a 50% rise. Yet the media have been banging on about an 84% plus rise. Even without factoring in the government’s £400 it’s only 76%. The thing is the £3,459 quoted is an average, one that is bumped up by the likes of Alan Sugar heating his mansions. Millions of people will be paying less. It’s all scaremongering crap, fear ■■■■ peddled by the media to keep your eyeballs glued to their websites, apps and programmes so they can make money out of advertising revenue.

Conor:

corij:
busy as ever here. i stumbled into a little sideline couple of yrs ago and now that too is bearing fruit.Someone has told the news teams to put out about huge energy price rises to get everyone sheetin themselves.Early on today i saw that martin lewis scaremongering too-

A typical household gas and electricity bill will rise to £3,549 a year apparently. Stuck my usage figures into the calculator (look on your bills and it’ll state your annual usage in kWh) and it comes back with £2980, up from £1690. And bear in mind this is with me working nights and I have a disabled son at home all the time so there’s always someone in using electricity and heating.

Take off the £400 the gubbermint is throwing into the pot and it’s up £890, barely a 50% rise. It’s all scaremongering crap, fear ■■■■ peddled by the media to keep your eyeballs glued to their websites, apps and programmes so they can make money out of advertising revenue.

I don’t often agree with Conor, but with this, he’s hit the nail very firmly, square on the head.

corij:
busy as ever here. i stumbled into a little sideline couple of yrs ago and now that too is bearing fruit.Someone has told the news teams to put out about huge energy price rises to get everyone sheetin themselves.Early on today i saw that martin lewis scaremongering too-now i had a chance meeting with him few yrs back,asked me a favour ,i said i would but he never said thank you [i didnt do his favour tho he didnt know that ]anyhoo hes a real chancer and big ego teet

eighty percent increase in fuel prices isn’t a joke it’s a fact… and its going to hit a lot of people really really hard are you on whacky backi by any chance

Conor:

corij:

Take off the £400 the gubbermint is throwing into the pot and it’s up £890, barely a 50% rise. Yet the media have been banging on about an 84% plus rise. Even without factoring in the government’s £400 it’s only 76%. The thing is the £3,459 quoted is an average, one that is bumped up by the likes of Alan Sugar heating his mansions. Millions of people will be paying less. It’s all scaremongering crap, fear ■■■■ peddled by the media to keep your eyeballs glued to their websites, apps and programmes so they can make money out of advertising revenue.

This period in time is actually making use of my smart meter because I can get accurate data, but yeah I’ve used the calculator you linked and mine will go up by 100% BUT… from a very very low base as in the fact that I’m still fixed until January so haven’t had ANY rises. Currently I pay £78pm, and based on smart meter data and using that calculator it will go up to £160pm or £1920 a year but with £400 off, maybe more yet, but with that it would drop to about £120pm (roughly, worked out in head) so yeah its up, which is never welcome, but not armageddon for me.

But I also know there ate people for whom £50 is stretch too far when you add on price increases everywhere from food to fuel and its not just lower earners. Don’t get me wrong there’s going to be some flash Harry’s that are going yo have a rude awakening because they’re already stretched but there’ll also be many who will be gobbled up.

makes you wonder what all this "doom and gloom " preaching on the news is all about? wheres the positive news… is it aimed at keeping us humble ■■ not only the news i notice i hardly ever hear anyone banging on about how much is saved with their solar panels for example you could say old jonesy gets a ■■■■ good greek holiday from the solar on his roof -every 2nd year takes mum too , this would be interesting feature tagged on end of the news but they wont hear of it

Conor:

corij:

I think you`re misinterpreting some of this.

Yes, the MSE tool might give the projected annual cost for you, based on prices that are only valid until Dec 2022 ,but that won`t be much use because OFGEM are now reviewing the price cap quarterly.
The next review is due Jan 2023. From the same MSE site:
moneysavingexpert.com/utili … price-cap/
Up another 52% next January. When use for most people rises of course.

Again from MSE looking at their “typical user”
March 2022 annual bill…: £1,277
Dec 2022…: £ 3,549
March 2023…prediction…: £ 5,387