Buses, coaches, & lorries

Three bus companies seen in Wigan town centre and bus station yesterday August 4th 2020.
Arriva going to St Helens, Diamond to Ashton Heath, and Stagecoach to Leigh.

Ray.

Photo0197.jpg

Midland red saloon late 1950 s

Ray Smyth:
An Alexander Dennis of " Warringtons Bus " operating on route 640, seen at the bottom of Montrose Avenue, Wigan.
The registration number of this bus is LK07 BEY, so I think it may have been new to the Greater London area. Ray.

Ray
LK07BEY had been new to Metroline of London in 2007.
Attached is a photo of it taken in October 2018 whilst undergoing a large service in the ownership of Vision Bus of Bolton.
(Sorry the photo is a little blurred).

TROOPER2:

Ray Smyth:
An Alexander Dennis of " Warringtons Bus " operating on route 640, seen at the bottom of Montrose Avenue, Wigan.
The registration number of this bus is LK07 BEY, so I think it may have been new to the Greater London area. Ray.

Ray
LK07BEY had been new to Metroline of London in 2007.
Attached is a photo of it taken in October 2018 whilst undergoing a large service in the ownership of Vision Bus of Bolton.
(Sorry the photo is a little blurred).

Geoff, Thank you for the picture and history of this little bus. Cheers, Ray.

This Setra bus is in the fleet of Autocares Rodrigues from Los Gallardos in Almeria Province in South-East Spain.
Picture 1 is when it was on delivery, early September 2018.
Picture 2 is mid September 2018 during its first week in service, seen at Mojacar village terminus.
Picture 3 is at the Puerto Marina terminus at Mojacar Playa.
I travelled on this bus twice in its first week in service, my friend Carlos was at the wheel.
I have visited Mojacar many times since 1989, mainly by air, but twice by road in a van.
Pictures 1 & 2 have been posted on here before.

Ray.

Rodrigues Setra 2.jpg

An AEC Reliance of Smiths-Happiway-Spencer of Wigan, part of the then Blundell Group from Southport.
I believe the original company was Websters of Wigan, then Smiths Tours, and in more recent days it
became Shearings Holidays, sadly no longer with us. Not my picture.

Ray.

A triple decker never seen one before believed in Germany, Buzzer

Daf-Domburg.jpg

Easy access engine compartment - it’ll never catch on.

Taken from Flickr

Dennis Javelin:

Easy access engine compartment - it’ll never catch on.

Taken from Flickr

:confused: .What could be the transmission set up for that ?.Does it have a massive long splined propshaft to gearbox connection.It’s also obvious that it will have to be a relatively light engine type.

Wigan Beer Festival bus Ray.
Oily

oiltreader:
Wigan Beer Festival bus Ray.
Oily

Thanks to Eddie for this picture of ex Stockport Corporation Leyland Tiger Cub.
Its destination blind shows Brewers Green, in the Hazel Grove area of Stockport.
Eddie mentioned the Wigan Beer Festival, I will visit this event next time it is on.

Cheers, Ray.

An article from the " Waterloo & Crosby Times " weekly newspaper, May 16th 1941,
an area just to the North of the 7 miles of Liverpool Docks. Several main roads that
were parallel to the docks were very busy bus routes from the centre of Liverpool
toward Waterloo, Crosby, and Southport, used by Ribble Motor Services. The same
roads as far as Bootle and Litherland were busy routes for Liverpool Corporation buses.
Picture from Bootle History Forum.

A Guy Arab 11, new in 1943 in the fleet of Rawtenstall Corporation in Lancashire.
Originally fitted with bodywork by Massey Bros of Pemberton, Wigan, it recieved
new bodywork from East Lancashire Coachbuilders of Blackburn in 1951 and was
in service until 1964. Picture by Roy Marshall.

Hooks of Harwich Bedford YMT - Plaxton Panorame Elite III MBL278L MBL 278L, Taken c. 1978 after Staines Crusader had taken over the name and business of RW Hooks & Co of Great Oakley. One of a pair -279 was the other - supplied to Tapping of Wallingford.
All credit to Sludge G for the photo and text.
Oily

Bus Sludge G cc by sa 2.0 50283624042_5a3934a82d_k.jpg

Ray this Rawtenstall Guy went to Clark’s of Glencaple, Dumfries, looking good in traditional lined out RCT livery, I bought and restored 1953 Leyland bodied PD2/12 No 18, RTC 822 a fantastic motor still on the road at 67 years of age now in Scout livery nota patch on its original. I rode on it at the Ribble 100 celebration at Morecambe last year where it went very well with a full load.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Cute wee Bedford, Rowland and Son of Hastings, all credit to SCP for the photo.
Oily

Some bus pictures taken in the centre of Wigan yesterday, September 1st 2020.

Ray Smyth.

Photo0212.jpg

A Leyland Atlantean new in 1972 to Accrington Corporation, with bodywork
by East Lancs Coachbuilders at nearby Blackburn.
Picture by H. J. Black.

Accrington.jpg

oiltreader:
Cute wee Bedford, Rowland and Son of Hastings, all credit to SCP for the photo.
Oily

This Bedford is a very smart machine Eddie, Cheers, Ray.

Two Leyland PD2 64 seat buses of Wigan Corporation parked on Station Road in the centre of town.
Fleet number 29 from 1964 has bodywork by Massey Bros at Enfield Street, just over 2 miles away,
and the bus at the rear has bodywork by Northern Counties, just 1 mile from this location.
On the left of the picture where the cars and a van are parked, was the site of Wigan Central
railway station which closed in the early 1960s. There are still 2 railway stations in the centre of
town, Wigan Wallgate provides trains from Liverpool and Southport to Manchester and Yorkshire,
and Wigan North Western station is on the West Coast main line serving London and the South Coast
and journeys to Glasgow, Edinburgh, and many destinations in the north of Scotland.
Picture by Karen Smith.