Buses, coaches, & lorries

Two Leyland Atlantean buses of Wallasey Corporation from 1960, seen here in 1968.
The Corporation bought 30 Leyland Atlanteans with bodywork by Metro Cammell
between 1958 and 1961. I seem to remember that the unusual paint colour of their
buses was known as " Sea Green ". Perhaps someone will know of it more than me.
Picture by Ted Jones.

Ray Smyth.

A Wilts & Dorset Bristol L6B from 1949 with bodywork by Beadle. This coach was
phtographed by Phil Davies at a Steam Rally at Stourpaine in 1971.

A Wilts & Dorset Bristol L6B from 1950 with bodywork by Portsmouth Aviation seen at a
rally in September 1977. Behind it is a Southern National Bristol L bus with bodywork
by Eastern Coachworks of Lowestoft. Picture by Mark Hughes,

13 October 1985
Severn Valley Railway
Kidderminster Town Station
Worcs, Eng
London Transport.
KLB 721
AEC RT
RT 1599…

131085b.jpg

A Leyland Atlantean from 1968 in the fleet of Ashton Under Lyne Corporation with bodywork by
Northern Counties of Wigan. The fleet became part of Greater Manchester Transport in the 1970s.
picture by Geoffrey Morant.

19 May 1985
Berry Hill Ind Est
Droitwich Spa
Worcs, Eng.
MPR 535H—TR Register.
A Bedford VAL with Plaxton Panorama bodywork,
TR Register was set up in 1970 to cater for fans
of Triumph TRs from TR2 to TR8 and derivatives.
Based in Didcot, it is still active, where and when
the dreaded virus allows,

ramone:

gingerfold:

ramone:
Which was the better coach The Leyland Leopa4d 680 0r the AEC Relliance AH760 there seemed to be more Leopards about than AECs

There’s probably not a definitive, objective, answer to that question because there was no “standard” specification for either. For instance the Reliance could be specified with a ZF 6-speed synchro-box, or the semi-automatic Pneumo-cyclic 'box. Some operators even fitted the D203 6-speed overdrive constant mesh box as used in Mandators. Similarly the Leopard had options. Both the AEC AH690 and horizontal Leyland O.680 engines were de-rated, so worked well within their capabilities. I have heard it said by knowledgeable bus people that the Reliance had the better chassis and suspension by the late 1970s when AEC production was coming to an end. The end result of a contest between the Leopard and the Reliance would probably be an honorable draw; both were excellent premium quality coaches in their day. After production ceased it was reckoned that a Volvo coach of the 1980s was the nearest vehicle to a Reliance or Leopard on the market. As for there seeming to be more Leopards than Reliances that was because of Leyland’s latter years policy of always pushing the Leyland brand and pricing the Reliance higher.

I asked on an earlier thread why the higher power wasnt available on the Reliance and someone said they didnt have an axle to cope , couldnt a mandator axle work or is it more complex . A rear engined TL12 would have been interesting

Well Ramone, it’s amazing what comes to light after 40 and more years. There was a TL12 rear engine bus built in 1978, and I’ll get permission, hopefully, to post a photo of it and details of its build and why it was built.

Further to the comments from Gingerfold and Ramone regarding AEC Reliance and Leyland Leopard buses and coaches.
During my 2 almost years with Ribble Motor Services from early 1968, I drove approx 20 Leyland Leopard buses & coaches.
The early Leopard buses were manual 3 pedal machines with 4 speed gearbox, from 1965 they were 2 pedal with 4 speed.
The Leopard coaches at my depot at Wigan were 2 pedal with 5 speed gearbox, and in my opinion, the Leyland Leopards
were a good vehicle to drive. During the late 1970s, I did occasional coach driving jobs for Finch Coaches of Wigan, these
were usually about 40 boozers from a local pub to racecourses, York, Thirsk, Uttoxeter etc. Most of the trips were with
an ex Yelloway AEC Reliance 7072 DK from about 1963, Despite it being about 13 years old, it was a pleasure to drive. I dont know
what engine it would have had, perhaps a 505, and it would catch pigeons. :sunglasses: A typical race day would be, set off from the
depot about 9am, pick up the passengers at the pub, and proceed to another hostelry nearer to the racecourse for early lunch.
Sometimes I would be given a few quid to get myself on the racecourse and have a couple of bets on the horses. I am not a
gambling man, and my PSV Drivers badge got me on the course for free. :smiley: The " Cash in hand/Arse pocket " wage for the
day was between 8 and 10 quid, and the " Whip Round " for the driver at the end of the day was usually just over 20 quid.
Of course, I informed H.M. Inland Revenue of my extra income. Half the lies I tell are not true. :wink:
Below is AEC 7072 DK at Cheltenham Coach Station when it was in service with Yelloway of Rochdale. Also a few Ribble
Leyland Leopards.

Ray Smyth.

Ribble 829 .jpg

Ribble 211.jpg

Ribble 543 206.jpg

Ray Smyth:
Further to the comments from Gingerfold and Ramone regarding AEC Reliance and Leyland Leopard buses and coaches.
During my 2 almost years with Ribble Motor Services from early 1968, I drove approx 20 Leyland Leopard buses & coaches.
The early Leopard buses were manual 3 pedal machines with 4 speed gearbox, from 1965 they were 2 pedal with 4 speed.
The Leopard coaches at my depot at Wigan were 2 pedal with 5 speed gearbox, and in my opinion, the Leyland Leopards
were a good vehicle to drive. During the late 1970s, I did occasional coach driving jobs for Finch Coaches of Wigan, these
were usually about 40 boozers from a local pub to racecourses, York, Thirsk, Uttoxeter etc. Most of the trips were with
an ex Yelloway AEC Reliance 7072 DK from about 1963, Despite it being about 13 years old, it was a pleasure to drive. I dont know
what engine it would have had, perhaps a 505, and it would catch pigeons. :sunglasses: A typical race day would be, set off from the
depot about 9am, pick up the passengers at the pub, and proceed to another hostelry nearer to the racecourse for early lunch.
Sometimes I would be given a few quid to get myself on the racecourse and have a couple of bets on the horses. I am not a
gambling man, and my PSV Drivers badge got me on the course for free. :smiley: The " Cash in hand/Arse pocket " wage for the
day was between 8 and 10 quid, and the " Whip Round " for the driver at the end of the day was usually just over 20 quid.
Of course, I informed H.M. Inland Revenue of my extra income. Half the lies I tell are not true. :wink:
Below is AEC 7072 DK at Cheltenham Coach Station when it was in service with Yelloway of Rochdale. Also a few Ribble
Leyland Leopards.

Ray Smyth.

Good stuff, Ray, the former Yelloway Reliance was one of 7 bought in 1962, with Harrington bodywork and AH590 engine, a nice looking coach I always thought.

Double Post.

WE , HAD TWO EX SOUTHDOWNS AT P AND O LLOYDS THEY WERE C U F REG , JUST A BIT OF USLESS INFO , CHEERS BARRY

Hair bus at south mimms

Rob, Here it is the right way up, Cheers, Ray. :smiley:

Ray Smyth:
Rob, Here it is the right way up, Cheers, Ray. :smiley:

It was this way up when I first saw it (about 25 years ago):

ZZz  NFM853M.jpg

Bristol Lodekka new to Eastern Counties, this photo thanks to SCP and taken at Cheltenham.
Oily

Bus SCP new to Eastern Counties 50178661798_a5a7f7dbe8_o.jpg

A Leyland Atlantean, new in 1969 to Salford Corporation with bodywork by Park Royal.
The full length poster between the lower and upper decks shows that it is now in the
S.E.L.N.E.C. fleet, " South East Lancs, North East Cheshire ", later to become Greater
Manchester Transport. Picture by Kevin Lane.

The only AEC TL12 powered coach based on a Bristol B21 chassis with Van Hool bodywork. With acknowledgement to author Peter Fryer and Robert Harris, Editor of The AEC Bulletin, Summer 2020 edition. (click twice on pages to read this interesting account)

An Alexander Dennis of " Warringtons Bus " operating on route 640, seen at the bottom of Montrose Avenue, Wigan.
The registration number of this bus is LK07 BEY, so I think it may have been new to the Greater London area.
Route 640 is a circuitous clockwise journey that takes 1 hour and 18 minutes starting at Wigan Bus Station and going
via Pemberton, Kitt Green, Shevington, Wrightington, and Standish and back to Wigan. Route 641 covers the same
locations, but in an anti-clockwise direction. The driver is wearing his Covid-19 Mask.

Ray.

A Stagecoach Optare at Wigan bus station on route 113 to Preston. August 4th 2020.
This route was formerly a Ribble journey via Standish, Wrightington, Eccleston & Leyland.

Ray.

Photo0198.jpg