Buses, coaches, & lorries

A Stagecoach bus departing from Wigan bus station on a local route to Beech Hill.

Ray Smyth.

Photo0303.jpg

An Alexander Dennis single deck bus waiting to turn right from Ormskirk Road into Fleet Street
at the very busy road junction on the A577 in the centre of Pemberton, to the west of Wigan.

Ray Smyth.

A six wheeler single deck bus in Bootle, near Liverpool. I think it could be a Karrier.
Picture from Bootle History Forum.

Ray Smyth.

These coaches were parked in Wigan town centre on a Sunday morning recently waiting to be
called to Wigan North Western railway station to carry railway passengers from here to Preston
because of major work taking place on the West Coast Main Line north of Wigan.

Ray Smyth.

Photo0332_001.jpg

Photo0328.jpg

From recent travels.
Oily

1974 West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive (WYPTE) formerly Bradford Corporation, AEC Regent V 2191 KW (fleet No 2191) in Bradford. Credit to John Ward for this photo and information.
Oily

oiltreader:
From recent travels.
Oily

Very smart coaches Eddie, in a beautiful part of Scotland. Cheers, Ray.

vhi-3_0.jpg

Ian Seabrook (aka HubNut) drives a Leyland National, Leyland 0.510 and all:

youtube.com/watch?v=C_ug5uZmRlU

This tram on route 6A is at its terminus on Bowring Park Road in Liverpool. This actual location is now part
of the M62 Motorway. Approx half a mile or so to the left of this picture is where the M62 connects with
Queens Drive, the long outer ring road of Liverpool. NMP.

Ray Smyth.

Few more from the NE

Tyneside

One of Finch`s from Wigan double deck Volvo buses which are mainly used for taking school children to
and from school. Judging by the number plate and the red paintwork, I assume it is an ex London bus. 14/07/2022.

Photo0829.jpg

tyneside:
Few more from the NE

Tyneside

The line up of National Travel Leylands at Gallowgate brings back memories of (maybe the late 70’s early 80’s) when I used to do a bit of part timing for National Travel, summer Saturdays, me and my younger brother ‘doubling up’, Halifax to Gt Yarmouth round trip. God I think we both hated it but times were hard and it brought in a bit of extra cash. :unamused:

A Liverpool Corporation Leyland PD2 on St Johns Lane in the city centre on its way to Seaforth. NMP.

Ray Smyth.

L.C.P.T.  L33.jpg

Two buses reversing off the stand at Wigan bus station.

Ray Smyth.

I asked this question on here a few months ago and I don’t think that there was a reply, so would anybody who has just joined know what that red round thing was between the top front windows.
I remember seeing the Salford buses back in the 50’s and always wondered what they were for. As a kid, I thought that it was bell so that the driver could hear it but over the years I wondered if it was a Lancashire Rose or a depot/ garage marker. Somebody must know.

Not My Photo.

.Daimler%20CVG6DD,Metro-Cammell%20H30,24R%20Double%20Decker%20Omnibus,Chassis%20No.15389,%20FRJ%20511,Salford,10-1951,Salford,No.511..jpg

Here are three bus photos that my mate took in Cyprus in 1989.

And then one thing led to another. Froggy 55 and Oily might enjoy this.

youtube.com/watch?v=-YcQolx9■■■

youtube.com/watch?v=dqy2pk3R2WE

And another by Billy Connolly.

youtube.com/watch?v=t7nsAMwl1T4

I liked reading one of the comments.

I’m from Glasgow and those bus stories are hysterical. When I was getting married, my fiancée and I were taking gifts to our flat.
We got on the bus and sat on the side seats, bus is basically empty, past peak hour.
I’m sitting next to the pole at the side and I am holding a brass pole off a floor lamp.
There is a young policeman sitting opposite me and he is going to the sub station round from our flat.
This lady sitting farther up the bus gets up to get off the bus.
Evidently bus driver is new, grinding the gears, bus jerking like crazy just as the lady passes me.
She grabs hold of the pole from my floor lamp, I was not expecting that, and I let it go.
She ends up flat on her back legs up in the air, and she is wondering what the hell happened.
I’m hysterical laughing, my husband to be, helps the woman up.
She tells him they need to repair the buses, I can’t stop laughing.
My fiancée drags me off the bus, pole lamp and all and the young policeman gets off as well, 4 bus stops before he should have.
Policeman and I end up leaning against the railings of Queens Park laughing hysterically.
My fiancée, madder than hell has walked off carrying the shade to the floor lamp.

I often wonder how Billy would have told this story. I still laugh when I think about it and that was decades ago.

mushroomman:
I asked this question on here a few months ago and I don’t think that there was a reply, so would anybody who has just joined know what that red round thing was between the top front windows.
I remember seeing the Salford buses back in the 50’s and always wondered what they were for. As a kid, I thought that it was bell so that the driver could hear it but over the years I wondered if it was a Lancashire Rose or a depot/ garage marker. Somebody must know.

Not My Photo.

Here are three bus photos that my mate took in Cyprus in 1989.

And then one thing led to another. Froggy 55 and Oily might enjoy this.

youtube.com/watch?v=-YcQolx9■■■

youtube.com/watch?v=dqy2pk3R2WE

And another by Billy Connolly.

youtube.com/watch?v=t7nsAMwl1T4

I liked reading one of the comments.

I’m from Glasgow and those bus stories are hysterical. When I was getting married, my fiancée and I were taking gifts to our flat.
We got on the bus and sat on the side seats, bus is basically empty, past peak hour.
I’m sitting next to the pole at the side and I am holding a brass pole off a floor lamp.
There is a young policeman sitting opposite me and he is going to the sub station round from our flat.
This lady sitting farther up the bus gets up to get off the bus.
Evidently bus driver is new, grinding the gears, bus jerking like crazy just as the lady passes me.
She grabs hold of the pole from my floor lamp, I was not expecting that, and I let it go.
She ends up flat on her back legs up in the air, and she is wondering what the hell happened.
I’m hysterical laughing, my husband to be, helps the woman up.
She tells him they need to repair the buses, I can’t stop laughing.
My fiancée drags me off the bus, pole lamp and all and the young policeman gets off as well, 4 bus stops before he should have.
Policeman and I end up leaning against the railings of Queens Park laughing hysterically.
My fiancée, madder than hell has walked off carrying the shade to the floor lamp.

I often wonder how Billy would have told this story. I still laugh when I think about it and that was decades ago.

Yes mushroomman Billy wi the dwarf on the bus story, had a look at that a few weeks ago but hey wouldn’t pass the chance to to view again so thanks :smiley: also your own tale is also funny :smiley:
Back in 1956 when first on the buses in Kirkcaldy the fleet was made up of mostly Guy Arabs both single and double decker. Some of the decker buses had wooden slat seats well polished by Fifer backsides and on one particular route from the High Street left off and up Coal Wynd now taking that corner sharpish could empty the n/s row of seats into the aisle specially on the top deck, some regular passengers were wary and pre anchored but not all, a bit of a giggle for the driver and clippie back then and now looking back propably not that funny.
Oily

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

As soon as I saw this picture, I knew this vehicle was a Vauxhall. For many years,
Vauxhall cars had a tapering crease each side on the top of the car engine bonnet.

Ray Smyth.

Two Volvo coaches from Redline Travel of Preston parked up in Hallgate, Wigan town centre.
I spoke to the driver of the white Volvo, She told me that they were waiting to pick up lots
of school children to take them to Mold in North Wales for a 5 day countryside holiday.

Ray Smyth.

Photo0837.jpg

Photo0836.jpg