Buses, coaches, & lorries

A fine looking ex City Of Oxford AEC double decker bus.

Ray Smyth.

PWL 413 AEC.jpg

mushroomman:
I asked this question on here a few months ago and I don’t think that there was a reply, so would anybody who has just joined know what that red round thing was between the top front windows.
I remember seeing the Salford buses back in the 50’s and always wondered what they were for. As a kid, I thought that it was bell so that the driver could hear it but over the years I wondered if it was a Lancashire Rose or a depot/ garage marker. Somebody must know.

All I can suggest is that you post the picture and enquiry to this website:

old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=464

old-bus-photos.co.uk/wp-cont … t_page.php

Ray Smyth:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

As soon as I saw this picture, I knew this vehicle was a Vauxhall. For many years,
Vauxhall cars had a tapering crease each side on the top of the car engine bonnet.

Ray Smyth.

Known as flutes I believe. The posh ones had chrome inserts.

New Go Ahead depot and workshop at Hownsgill Consett
Tyneside
Duplicate post The machinery is fighting back this morning!!

New Go Ahead depot and workshop at Hownsgill Consett
Tyneside

Two more from the NE Tyneside

Bournemouth yellow bus have ceased trading as of today :open_mouth: 125 years down the drain ,

bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/ … -collapse/

blue estate:
Bournemouth yellow bus have ceased trading as of today :open_mouth: 125 years down the drain ,

bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/ … -collapse/

Very sad, they were part of the Bournemouth surroundings, always loads of them around the bottom end of the park by Debenhams etc.

Kegworth I think. NMP off FB

Love the destination board on this little coach :smiley: :smiley: Buzzer

Buzzer:

Wasn’t that kind of style, even if I love it, outdated when this coach was registered in 1970?

Found this on a French forum. This one was registered in Nottingham in 1974, but were they common? I had never seen one before.

Sorry, not Nottingham, but Birmingham.

Froggy55:
Found this on a French forum. This one was registered in Nottingham in 1974, but were they common? I had never seen one before.

In preservation credit to Chris Sampson for the photo.
Oily

Sister to TOE527N, credit to David Hillas for the photo.
Oily

Two more in preservation credit to Chris Sampson for the photos.
Oily

Froggy55:

Just over 1000 and built at Volvo’s plant in Irvine. Popular in Scotland and Indonesia with some sales to the PTE’s of West Midlands, Merseyside, South Yorkshire, small batches to Tyneside and Greater Manchester. Also taken by Maidstone & District, Cardiff and Derby Corporations and smaller operators particularly in Ayrshire. TOE527N was the first production model following on from demonstrator THS273M.

Thanks for all your contibutions, and colour pictures!

oiltreader:
Two more in preservation credit to Chris Sampson for the photos.
Oily

Thanks to Oily for posting these great pictures of Ailsa Volvo buses.
My favourite among them is the Maidstone & District bus.

Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Froggy55:

Buzzer:

Wasn’t that kind of style, even if I love it, outdated when this coach was registered in 1970?

Judging by this site there were quite a few built to this style during that period

travellerhomes.co.uk/?gallery=179