Buses, coaches, & lorries

Froggy55:
At the time the streets of London were swarming with elegant RTs and RMs, the only French attempt concerning double-deckers was the appaling-looking Berliet PCMRE, built between 1966 and 1968. Only 25 were made, and already withdrawn in 1972.

Ten years before, in 1956, the sightseeing tour company Cityrama had ordered three double deckers built by Currus on Citroën 55 chassis.

The odd-looking Berliet double-decker might have been short-lived but for a youngster reading the Ian Allan Buses mag of the day, this bus is instantly recognisable as a distinctively exotic double-decker from abroad. It’s 55 years since I saw an image of one yet I recognised it immediately! Another exotic Continental double-decker of that period was a rather attractive Portuguese model; bodied possibly by Caetano. Someone will no doubt come up with a pic!

Ray Smyth:
I think this chap on the bus is former Labour MP, Ed Balls. :wink:

:laughing: :laughing:

Froggy55:

Dennis Javelin:

Froggy55:

oiltreader:
Southbound M1 Jct 9 recently, credit to eastleighbusman for the photos, single decker looks like hydrogen powered.
Oily

Certainly the effects of globalisation and liberalism, the second bus is operated by RATP group (Régie Autonome des Transports Parisiens). RATP runs all Metro and buses in Paris since 1949. More here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RATP_Group

Could any of you tell me more about its manufacturer and where it’s working now? Thanks!

Hope this helps

bydeurope.com/pdp-bus-coach

Thanks! So, BYD is a Chinese manufacturer of electric bus chassis. Interesting to see they do not use lithium batteries. Time will tell if it’s the best solution.
Meanwhile, I got more about Alexander Dennis, an important coachmaker.

Alexander Dennis (ADL) seem to have thrown their lot in with BYD. As far as I know they will be the only British bodybuilder using BYD’s chassis. FWIW I don’t think that ADL will build any more diesel engined chassis once the current orders are completed and they will solely concentrate on being a body builder and go back to the days when it was simply known as Alexander’s before they merged to form Transbus in the late 90’s.

Whilst in Hong Kong in 2010 I had the opportunity to take a trip on a left hand drive Chinese built Electric bus which was in Hong Kong being demonstrated to Bus Operators. (Vehicles are still driven on the left side of the road in Hong Kong). It was built by Great Dragon International Corporation Ltd.
Two photographs of the bus are attached, (taken on 22.11.10.).
The pieces of A4 paper in the off-side windscreen are the Transport Department of the Government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region’s Movement Permit, Expressway Permit and an accompanying map showing the permitted route.

Advanced design, but probably burning hot for the driver, in reason of the shape of the windscreen. Even with air-conditioning.

ERF-NGC-European:

An interesting picture of Birkenhead Corporation buses at Woodside Ferry. Most, if not
all of their buses had bodywork by Massey Bros at Wigan. The song from the 1960s,
" Ferry cross the Mersey " is now running through my brain. :smiley: Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:

ERF-NGC-European:

An interesting picture of Birkenhead Corporation buses at Woodside Ferry. Most, if not
all of their buses had bodywork by Massey Bros at Wigan. The song from the 1960s,
" Ferry cross the Mersey " is now running through my brain. :smiley: Ray Smyth.

Did Massey body their ‘utility’ Guy Arabs?

Iran, I would say judging from the mosque architecture; though it might be in a non-sunni part of Iraq (the auto-censor won’t let me use the proper word :laughing: ):wink:

1cd998f965eea3a672bddd2f959ec691.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
Iran, I would say judging from the mosque architecture; though it might be in a non-sunni part of Iraq (the auto-censor won’t let me use the proper word :laughing: ):wink:

Lemmon curdistan

A fine example credit to Snapshooter46 for the photo.
Oily

Two Leylands in the British Commercial Vehicle Museum at Leyland, Lancashire.
The Atlantean is ex Fishwick whose depot was close by in Leyland, the company
finally closed down a few years ago. Some of their bus routes were joint service
with Ribble Motor Services. The Ribble coach with bodywork by Burlingham is a
Leyland Tiger Cub.

Ray Smyth.

Photo0697.jpg

oiltreader:
A fine example credit to Snapshooter46 for the photo.
Oily

Nice picture Eddie, but what a coincidence, I photographed this Leyland 3 years ago at a Truck and Bus day
at the British Commercial Vehicle Museum at Leyland and posted it on here. The 2 pictures that I have put
on here a few minutes ago were taken at the museum yesterday, Sunday 12.12.2021.

Cheers, Ray.

14 August 1988
Wythall Transport Museum
Chapel Lane
Wythall
Worcs
Eng

Scrap chaos
Unidentified windowless single decker. hiding behind what i think is one of Birmingham City Transports ex Daimler
COG5s converted into a towing vehicle and gritter.
I towed a number of ‘dead’ vehicles from Selly Oak to Tyburn Road with Lorry 12, based at Selly Oak.
Hardly the best choice for towing 8/9 tons of dead weight, usually with no braking assistance, apart from the
handbrake, on the towed casualty, no weight over the drive axle, so wet and greasy roads were great fun.
And a pre selector gearbox coupled with a fluid drive.
I always thought it was slightly odd, that given BCTs insistence that you had to pass a familiarisation test in all
different types of bus, there was no such thing when it came to towing dead hulks with one of these ancient
beasts. It was only later after i moved on to HGV Class 1 driving, that i realised just how dodgy it could have
been. Wouldn’t have missed it though.!!

blue estate:

ERF-NGC-European:

Lemmon curdistan

I don’t understand your response.

ERF-NGC-European:

blue estate:

ERF-NGC-European:

Lemmon curdistan

“Curd” can be spelt otherwise…

ParkRoyal2100:

ERF-NGC-European:

blue estate:

ERF-NGC-European:

Lemmon curdistan

I geddit :laughing:

RM 2032 (ex-LT via Brakell of Cheam) at Etampes in 1990

Credit: Alain Mugica

ERF-NGC-European:

ParkRoyal2100:

I geddit :laughing:

What are the buses in the (tiny) pic? I’m guessing AEC Regent.