Buses, coaches, & lorries

Dennis Javelin, Your mystery bus at ■■■■■■■ Classic Coaches is a Commer Comander, Reg CMS 9 new circa 1946 to David Lawson, Kirkentilloch, then to Highland Omnibuses. Next owner was Mansie (Magnus) Spence St Margarets Hope,Orkney moved on to Jim Harvie, Evie and lastly to David Laughton, Deerness Orkney. out of service in 1977 it was bought by Harvey Sutherland where it was transported down to Aberdeen on a Seddon Atkinson 8 wheeler owned by J & S Mackie, Tankerness, Orkney. I think Will Hamer acquired it from there. Scottish Aviation bodywork. Ther was another identical Commer body uses as a green house at Mirfield, Deerness which I remember seeing on a visit circa 1997.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Dennis Javelin, Your mystery bus at ■■■■■■■ Classic Coaches is a Commer Comander, Reg CMS 9 new circa 1946 to David Lawson, Kirkentilloch, then to Highland Omnibuses. Next owner was Mansie (Magnus) Spence St Margarets Hope,Orkney moved on to Jim Harvie, Evie and lastly to David Laughton, Deerness Orkney. out of service in 1977 it was bought by Harvey Sutherland where it was transported down to Aberdeen on a Seddon Atkinson 8 wheeler owned by J & S Mackie, Tankerness, Orkney. I think Will Hamer acquired it from there. Scottish Aviation bodywork. Ther was another identical Commer body uses as a green house at Mirfield, Deerness which I remember seeing on a visit circa 1997.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Great find. I feel stupid now for not even asking Alison at ■■■■■■■ about it as I passed it on my way to their premises (albeit the field it was in was about 2 miles away from them).

Again, well done.

Dennis Javelin:

ParkRoyal2100:

ERF-NGC-European:
I remember that back in the '60s & early '70s it was briefly fashionable to run double-decker coaches on certain trunk routes. Standerwick Coaches springs to mind with its ‘white ladies’.

Just out of interest, does anyone recall any of those long-haul double-deckers being fitted with the AEC/Thornycroft (TET203?) constant-mesh 6-speed 'box that some motorway service single-deck coaches were equipped with at the time?

Can’t help you with that Ro, but on the back of your mention of Standerwick, I wonder what gearbox/ axle their VRLs used with (presumably) Gardner 6LX engines.

According to the Ribble Preservation Trust these vehicles were fitted with Leyland engines.

rvpt.co.uk/about-us/our-vehicles/60-2/

Good looking buses too IMHO. An 0.680 would have probably made for a livelier double-decker than a lot of today’s creations.

Dennis Javelin:

ParkRoyal2100:

ERF-NGC-European:
I remember that back in the '60s & early '70s it was briefly fashionable to run double-decker coaches on certain trunk routes. Standerwick Coaches springs to mind with its ‘white ladies’.

Just out of interest, does anyone recall any of those long-haul double-deckers being fitted with the AEC/Thornycroft (TET203?) constant-mesh 6-speed 'box that some motorway service single-deck coaches were equipped with at the time?

Can’t help you with that Ro, but on the back of your mention of Standerwick, I wonder what gearbox/ axle their VRLs used with (presumably) Gardner 6LX engines.

According to the Ribble Preservation Trust these vehicles were fitted with Leyland engines.

rvpt.co.uk/about-us/our-vehicles/60-2/

Thanks Dennis.

Hi Ray, might of posted one of them before.
Oily

Stornoway Isle of Lewis June 2021.
Oily

Credit to Jez for this photo.
Oily

At Skelborne St Coach Station Liverpool, credit to SCP for the photo.
Oily

oiltreader:
Hi Ray, might of posted one of them before.
Oily

Hi Eddie, The location of Wigan Corporation 57 looks like the Bus Museum in north Manchester.
It looks like it has had a bit of a slight scratch on the nearside front upper panel.
This Leyland PD3 has bodywork by Massey Bros, whose factory in Enfield Street was taken over
by Northern Counties in the late 1960s. I am sat typing this, in my dining room, just 400 yards
from the site which is now a small and tidy industrial estate.

Cheers, Ray.

Two buses at a terminus in the centre of Liverpool in the late 1960s.
The 317 St Helens Corporation Leyland looks more modern than the
320 Wigan Corporation Leyland, but it is the other way round.
In the early 1960s, when Leyland Atlanteans were selling very fast
and Leyland PD2 and PD3 chassis were hardly being sold, Leyland
Motors factory, not far from Wigan offered Wigan Corporation about
15 Leyland PD2 chassis at a low price, the Corporation bought them
and stored them in some barns near Blackrod. Toward the end of 1966,
some of the PD2 chassis were bodied as 64 seaters by Massey Bros and
in 1967 and 1968 by Northern Counties Bodybuilders. NMP.

Ray Smyth.

317 320.jpg

14 August 1988
Wythall Transport Museum
Chapel Lane
Wythall
Worcs
Eng,

HSU 848
a 1945 AEC Matador 4x4.
registered in 1988 and in use as a recovery vehicle.
I must confess to having a real liking for these docile beasts.
I was lucky enough to ride as a passenger in Birmingham City Transports Matador,
the one based at Harborne Depot when we had to call it out to recover a dead bus from Longbridge.
For some reason our own towing vehicle, a converted Daimler COG 5, Lorry 19, was unavailable.
The Harborne Matador was beautifully kept. Had it been based at Selly Oak i may well have got to drive it.!!

A Volvo coach of Tyrers of Chorley and Farnworth, with bodywork by Caetano of Portugal.
Tyrers are seen here in Wigan town centre quite often on " Rail Replacement " service.

Ray Smyth.

Photo0650.jpg

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600

I don’t know how I missed your (definitive) response, but I’ve caught up now :blush:

It was the bodywork that confused me - I knew it wasn’t Duple and Plaxton wasn’t a good fit either. Then again, I’d never heard of Scottish Aviation until now.

Eee, things yer learn on t’ internet.

Chris Webb:
I took this photo in St. Moritz when on holiday in 90s.We went on a Three Country Tour from Obergurgl in Austrian Tirol,into Switzerland,over the Bernina Pass into Italy and then back into Switzerland and Austria,a full day.Otztaler were based in Obergurgl and the coach had the Scania 113 engine and was used on both tours and service runs to Innsbruck. What impressed me was the retarder on the steering column and how effective it was.
The second photo was taken at the Bernina Pass summit,about 7500 ft in early September,before descending into Livigno Italia.

Did you ever get a ride on a SETRA? I’m somewhat intrigued by the coachbuilder, they were here in Oz too for a while.

14 August 1988
Wythall Transport Museum
Chapel Lane
Wythall
Worcs
Eng.

‘Beyond saving?’
Sad remains of a BMMO CM6.

I enjoyed a few hours at the St Helens Museum of Road Transport yesterday.
The attached pictures are a Ribble low height Leyland Atlantean, a Leyland
ex Warrington Corporation, and a former St Helens Corporation AEC.
The Leyland Comet breakdown lorry is ex John Mason, Furniture removals
from Liverpool. I then bought a nice cup of tea and a Sticky bun from an ex
WW2 snack van.

Ray Smyth.

Photo0660.jpg

Bus recovery wagons.
Oily

Recovery AEC_Bus_Breakdown_Vehicle__Trent_Recovery_Services_-Flickr-mick-_Lumix.jpg

oiltreader:
Bus recovery wagons.
Oily

Some great looking machines there Eddie, particularly the Trent 6 wheeler.
I assume it is an ex military vehicle. It has a Scottish number plate, perhaps
it was owned by an operator North of the border, after it left the military,
and ended up with Trent. The bodywork looks much like Marshall of Cambridge,

Thanks Eddie, Ray.

Ray I think the Trent and Southdown wrekers have Eastern Coach Works fronts plus some of the side panels on the Trent look classic ECW.
Cheers Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Ray I think the Trent and Southdown wrekers have Eastern Coach Works fronts plus some of the side panels on the Trent look classic ECW.
Cheers Leyland 600

Yes Gerald, I have had a closer look at the Trent 6 wheeler, and it looks like ECW from Lowestoft. Cheers, Ray.