14 August 1988
Wythall Transport Museum
Chapel Lane
Wythall
Worcs
Eng

BHA 399C
Preserved BMMO D9. Built July 1965.BMMO Body, Flt No 5339

A Liverpool Corporation Daimler from 1948/49. with bodywork by Northern Counties of Wigan.
It is at the bottom of St Johns Lane in the centre of Liverpool, about to turn right into the
terminus at Old Haymarket, opposite to the Mersey Tunnel. Route 56, showing Oakfield Road
was a short journey in the morning and evening rush hour. Considering the green & cream livery,
the date of this picture would have been early 1960s, when this bus and many others were toward
the end of their days. All of the Daimlers were pre-select driven, which I believe was to make
it easier for former tram drivers to drive buses when the large tram fleet was being reduced. NMP.

The second picture shows the original green & cream livery. This picture is when this Daimler was new
in 1949 at Northern Counties at Wigan, prior to delivery to Liverpool Corporation. This picture is by
STA, Senior Transport Archive, from " Northern Counties " book by Bob Rowe.

I conducted the midland red d9 bus as a student holiday job for about 3 months in 1968/9. at the coalville garage (too young to drive) They were a fantastic bus light years ahead of the d7 that they replaced strip lighting throughout . They could be operated with the rear doors open unlike the interlock combinations today they were our routemaster.

I’ve just come back from Malta where the lorries and buses are much newer now but i did see a few old english motors there and two coaches or single decker buses one was at a guess a 1950s Bedford and the other said Trader on the front so could have been a Thames Trader if such a thing existed

A busy scene at the junction of Brownlow Hill. Mount Pleasant, Renshaw Street, Ranelagh Street, & Lime Street in Liverpool.
The buses and trams running left to right are heading to their termini in the city. The bus with the single cream paint line
looks like one from Ribble Motor Services, probably on route 317 from St Helens, or route 320 from Wigan. The picture must
be before late 1957, the time when trams were withdrawn and would have been photographed from the Adelphi Hotel.The large
building is Lewis,s Department Store. The statue on the building is standing on the prow of a ship in respect of the many people
from the Northwest who sailed around the world in the Merchant Navy and Royal Navy. The locals called him Dickie Lewis. :blush: :wink:
Not my Pictures. Click on first picture.

14 August 1988
Wythall Transport Museum
Chapel Lane
Wythall
Worcs
Eng.

KEL 679
1950 Bedford OB Duple
Hants and Dorset Flt No 687

ramone:
I’ve just come back from Malta where the lorries and buses are much newer now but i did see a few old english motors there and two coaches or single decker buses one was at a guess a 1950s Bedford and the other said Trader on the front so could have been a Thames Trader if such a thing existed

AFAIK Malta/ Gozo did have a few buses based on the Thames Trader, so you were lucky to see one. Unfortunately (for us old gits), Malta was forced to modernise its bus fleet about a decade ago (EU emissions & safety regs) and many of the old Bedfords and Leylands and whatnot disappeared. Some British bus nuts tried to re-import some of the better buses and coaches, but I suspect most got the chop.

See also flickr.com/groups/buscoachmalta/pool/

ParkRoyal2100:

Dennis Javelin:
Down visiting a customer today - ■■■■■■■ Classic Coaches - and managed to get a few pics of some of their fleet.

Mystery bus lying in a field somewhere in deepest ■■■■■■■

Just a wild guess, but possibly Bedford OB.

Can’t ID the coachbuilder, doesn’t match any pics of Duple or Plaxton I’ve seen.

Probably an early (or modified) Plaxton.

Ray Smyth:
The statue on the building is standing on the prow of a ship in respect of the many people
from the Northwest who sailed around the world in the Merchant Navy and Royal Navy. The locals called him Dickie Lewis. :blush: :wink:
Not my Pictures. Click on first picture.

Yes indeed, Dickie is obviously a man.

A Liverpool Corporation AEC Mk 111, fleet number A103 from 1955 at the terminus in Bootle, Merseyside.
Route 60 to Dingle was mainly through the outer suburbs through Walton, Norris Green, Wavertree,
Princes Park, and Aigburth, to its terminus opposite the Corporation bus garage at Dingle. The bus at the
rear is a Ribble Motor Services Leyland PD2 with bodywork by MCW.

Ray Smyth.

L.C.P.T. A103.jpg

I remember that back in the '60s & early '70s it was briefly fashionable to run double-decker coaches on certain trunk routes. Standerwick Coaches springs to mind with its ‘white ladies’.

Just out of interest, does anyone recall any of those long-haul double-deckers being fitted with the AEC/Thornycroft (TET203?) constant-mesh 6-speed 'box that some motorway service single-deck coaches were equipped with at the time?

I used to see these Leyland atlanteans flying up and down the M1 in the early 1960 s

download.jpg

I took this photo in St. Moritz when on holiday in 90s.We went on a Three Country Tour from Obergurgl in Austrian Tirol,into Switzerland,over the Bernina Pass into Italy and then back into Switzerland and Austria,a full day.Otztaler were based in Obergurgl and the coach had the Scania 113 engine and was used on both tours and service runs to Innsbruck. What impressed me was the retarder on the steering column and how effective it was.
The second photo was taken at the Bernina Pass summit,about 7500 ft in early September,before descending into Livigno Italia.

Chris Webb:
I took this photo in St. Moritz when on holiday in 90s.We went on a Three Country Tour from Obergurgl in Austrian Tirol,into Switzerland,over the Bernina Pass into Italy and then back into Switzerland and Austria,a full day.Otztaler were based in Obergurgl and the coach had the Scania 113 engine and was used on both tours and service runs to Innsbruck. What impressed me was the retarder on the steering column and how effective it was.
The second photo was taken at the Bernina Pass summit,about 7500 ft in early September,before descending into Livigno Italia.

Two great pictures Chris, I wonder if when you were on the above Scania coach, were you itching to have a crack at the wheel ■■ :smiley: Cheers, Ray.

Ray Smyth:

Chris Webb:

Two great pictures Chris, I wonder if when you were on the above Scania coach, were you itching to have a crack at the wheel ■■ :smiley: Cheers, Ray.

Hi Ray,yes I was,driver spoke quite good English so had a bit of a conversation with him instead of courier.I remember them both buying sugar in Italy as it was so expensive in Austria and also ■■■■ that we said were ours - we had both packed up smoking - in case of Italian customs sniffing. :grimacing:

A Leyland PD3 with bodywork by Burlingham of Blackpool. Ribble fleet number 1505 was one of approx 100
PD3s, seen here in Bolton Street in Liverpool, about to enter the Ribble bus station. The glass roofed building
at the rear is part of Lime Street Railway Station. The next 100 plus Leyland PD3s were 2 pedal machines
with bodywork by Metropolotan-Cammell-Weymann. Picture from Malcolm Herbert.

Ray Smyth.

Ribble 1505.jpg

Ray Smyth:
A Leyland PD3 with bodywork by Burlingham of Blackpool.

I never saw many Burlingham-bodied buses, but that’s partly cos I spent most of my yoof down south. Leyland PD3 rings a loud bell, Southdown were still running Northern Counties PD3s (“Queen Marys”) in the late '70s.

ERF-NGC-European:
I remember that back in the '60s & early '70s it was briefly fashionable to run double-decker coaches on certain trunk routes. Standerwick Coaches springs to mind with its ‘white ladies’.

Just out of interest, does anyone recall any of those long-haul double-deckers being fitted with the AEC/Thornycroft (TET203?) constant-mesh 6-speed 'box that some motorway service single-deck coaches were equipped with at the time?

Can’t help you with that Ro, but on the back of your mention of Standerwick, I wonder what gearbox/ axle their VRLs used with (presumably) Gardner 6LX engines.

Off Topic.
I was in Newton Aycliffe on the trading estate, going home from a test, when i saw a beautiful Bristol recovery truck, bus based i guess, but i don’t know myself.It was cream and red in colour,sorry didn’t catch the registration number.

ParkRoyal2100:

ERF-NGC-European:

Can’t help you with that Ro, but on the back of your mention of Standerwick, I wonder what gearbox/ axle their VRLs used with (presumably) Gardner 6LX engines.

According to the Ribble Preservation Trust these vehicles were fitted with Leyland engines.

rvpt.co.uk/about-us/our-vehicles/60-2/