Hereford
Hfrds
Eng.

OTA 645G
1969 Bristol RE
Chassis RELH4/205
Bodywork ECW 17498 Series 2
Engine Gardner 6HlX
New to Western National Omnibus Co (Royal Blue)
Still in preservation.

Ray,1728 was new to Carlisle depot where I drove it many times on city services. It had a centrifugal clutch in those days.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Ray,1728 was new to Carlisle depot where I drove it many times on city services. It had a centrifugal clutch in those days.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Gerald, The 6 PD3 Leylands that I drove at the Wigan depot of Ribble were 1725, 1730, 1760, 1797, 1798, & 1799.
These were all 2 pedal machines, and I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that all of the PD3s from 1700 onward were
centrifugal. One of them in its later days when owned by a Liverpool company, possibly Maghull Coaches was fitted
with a normal clutch and gearbox. I understand that this machine is now in the ownership of the Ribble Preservation
Group at Freckleton and has been converted back to its original 2 pedal operation.

Cheers, Ray.

Ray all the 1700 PD3s were 2 pedal with 4 speed pneumo-cyclic gearboxes but with centrifugal lock up clutches. I think some were converted to more cconventional fluid flywheels later in life.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

9 May 1988
Bus Station
Corby
Northhants
Eng

820 DYE
AEC Routemaster
New to London transport Feb 1964 ,Fl No RM 1820
Seen here with United Counties, Fl No 715

An Alexander Dennis double decker of Stagecoach parked up in Hallgate near to the bus station in the centre of Wigan earlier today, 25/10/2021.

Here’s a question for you bus buffs. When I was a nipper in Nottingham I had a keen eye for commercial vehicles from the pram upwards. Now I distinctly remember seeing and travelling on what I believe were pre-war AEC Regents. I recently looked them up in a book called Nottingham City Transport and I identified them as being probably the batch delivered in 1938 and registered ETO 485-494. It states that they were withdrawn in I958 but I distinctly remember catching one on the No.2 route which I used for a while from Costock Avenue (at the juntion of Valley Road & Hucknall Road) to Goldsmith Street in town during 1960 in afternoon off-peak hours. They usually put the single-decker Regal on that route then. I didn’t do bus numbers so I never recorded the vehicles. I have a strong sneaky feeling that one of that batch lingered on after the rest of the batch was withdrawn. We left Nottingham 60 years ago in 1961. Can anyone shed a light on this?

Bus-Photograph-ETO493-Nottingham-City-9-1938-AEC.jpg

It is, of course, possible that what I recall were actually the batch of AEC Regent 111s delivered in 1949 registered KTV 97 to KTV 126 and were withdrawn in 1963/5 (pictured below).

In both cases it is that distinctive protrusion below the windscreen that I remember most. It must have been a Metro-Cammell/AEC thing!

Have you ever seen the movie "saturday night and sunday morning " about 1958 ? I think soem great scenes of central nottingham and buses of that era.

robinswh:
Have you ever seen the movie "saturday night and sunday morning " about 1958 ? I think soem great scenes of central nottingham and buses of that era.

Yes! Very evocative for me as straight out of my childhood. Good film too!

9 May 1988
Bus station
Corby
Northants
Eng

XNV 887S
Bristol VRT/ ECW Bodywork
New in March 1978
United Counties, Fleet No 887

A 30ft AEC Mk V of St Helens Corporation on route 309, Warrington to Southport via St Helens.

Picture by Roy Marshall.

AEC Mk V St Helens.Roy Marshall.jpg

Down visiting a customer today - ■■■■■■■ Classic Coaches - and managed to get a few pics of some of their fleet.

Mystery Bus ■■■■■■■ (2).JPG

ERF-NGC-European:
Here’s a question for you bus buffs. When I was a nipper in Nottingham I had a keen eye for commercial vehicles from the pram upwards. Now I distinctly remember seeing and travelling on what I believe were pre-war AEC Regents. I recently looked them up in a book called Nottingham City Transport and I identified them as being probably the batch delivered in 1938 and registered ETO 485-494. It states that they were withdrawn in I958 but I distinctly remember catching one on the No.2 route which I used for a while from Costock Avenue (at the juntion of Valley Road & Hucknall Road) to Goldsmith Street in town during 1960 in afternoon off-peak hours. They usually put the single-decker Regal on that route then. I didn’t do bus numbers so I never recorded the vehicles. I have a strong sneaky feeling that one of that batch lingered on after the rest of the batch was withdrawn. We left Nottingham 60 years ago in 1961. Can anyone shed a light on this?

It is, of course, possible that what I recall were actually the batch of AEC Regent 111s delivered in 1949 registered KTV 97 to KTV 126 and were withdrawn in 1963/5 (pictured below).

In both cases it is that distinctive protrusion below the windscreen that I remember most. It must have been a Metro-Cammell/AEC thing!

This is beyond my pay grade as a nipper (b.1960) and an amateur, but … I tried BLOTW (buslistsontheweb.co.uk/) and it wasn’t much help.

I then tried flickr cos there are oodles of bus fans on there. After some faffing around (none of the reg. nos. you cite resulted in anything) I came across one chap called Gary Crosby, who has numerous photos of old Nottm. City Transport (and W. Bridgford, Trent &c) buses e.g. flickr.com/photos/73451759@ … 4142799366

Might be worth asking him.

Dennis Javelin:
Down visiting a customer today - ■■■■■■■ Classic Coaches - and managed to get a few pics of some of their fleet.

Mystery bus lying in a field somewhere in deepest ■■■■■■■

Just a wild guess, but possibly Bedford OB.

Can’t ID the coachbuilder, doesn’t match any pics of Duple or Plaxton I’ve seen.

oiltreader:
Credit to SCP for the photo on The Stray Harrogate.
Oily

I think you mean “Harrington” Oily :wink:

Handsome-looking things these, Southdown had quite a few.

ParkRoyal2100:

ERF-NGC-European:

This is beyond my pay grade as a nipper (b.1960) and an amateur, but … I tried BLOTW (buslistsontheweb.co.uk/) and it wasn’t much help.

I then tried flickr cos there are oodles of bus fans on there. After some faffing around (none of the reg. nos. you cite resulted in anything) I came across one chap called Gary Crosby, who has numerous photos of old Nottm. City Transport (and W. Bridgford, Trent &c) buses e.g. flickr.com/photos/73451759@ … 4142799366

Might be worth asking him.

Cheers ParkRoyal!

Ro

ERF-NGC-European:
Cheers ParkRoyal!

Ro

All part of the service squire. Who do I send the invoice to? :smiley:

One thing that immediately takes me back to my younger days are Caroline Seagull coaches at Great Yarmouth. Sadly no longer around :frowning: Nmp

[attachment=0]6A4B9362-6E8E-4210-AFC7-D90F83AF2A43.jpeg[/attachment

There was a lovely photo on the internet of one of their booking offices along Great Yarmouth seafront which I used to love to look at with all the different destinations and tours but it’s Alamy printed so I hadn’t better post it.

Ive been watching series 6 of Aussie Gold Hunters on Quest and two blokes have towed a 50 year old single decker bus onto their claim thats been converted to living accommodation , it looks a bit like an AEC Swift , would the Aussies have operated them ?

ramone:
Ive been watching series 6 of Aussie Gold Hunters on Quest and two blokes have towed a 50 year old single decker bus onto their claim thats been converted to living accommodation , it looks a bit like an AEC Swift , would the Aussies have operated them ?

There were over 300 exported to Australia in the late 60’s and early 70’s.