Buses, coaches, & lorries

An easy question for the numerous experts here:

What’s the name of the designer/ design house who styled several 1960s cars, a British 1960s lorry and a British 1970s bus?

ParkRoyal2100:

What’s the name of the designer/ design house who styled several 1960s cars, a British 1960s lorry and a British 1970s bus?

Giovanni Michelotti

Dipster:

ParkRoyal2100:

Giovanni Michelotti

Correct. You’d get a free set of steak knives if I had such a thing. The '70s British bus is…

ParkRoyal2100:

Dipster:

ParkRoyal2100:

Giovanni Michelotti

Correct. You’d get a free set of steak knives if I had such a thing. The '70s British bus is…

The Leyland National! (I’ll settle for a teaspoon) :laughing:

I’m sure there must have been plenty of posts on here in the past concerning Top Deck Travel but I found these photos and the account of his travels by Butch Hyslop interesting. Many thanks to him for sharing them.

The first photo was taken in Kathmandu 78/79 when Top Deck had seven busses there for Xmas and New Year. Butch also said the company owned about sixty busses of which only half could go on the long trips due to bottoming out problems.

Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 08.07.19.png

2.png

1.png

ERF-NGC-European:

ParkRoyal2100:

Dipster:

ParkRoyal2100:

Giovanni Michelotti

Teaspoon? No madam! You win…

(drumroll)

A set of feeler gauges for adjusting the valve clearances on a Leyland 0.510!! Never used!!! :grimacing:

sandway:
I’m sure there must have been plenty of posts on here in the past concerning Top Deck Travel but I found these photos and the account of his travels by Butch Hyslop interesting. Many thanks to him for sharing them.

The first photo was taken in Kathmandu 78/79 when Top Deck had seven busses there for Xmas and New Year. Butch also said the company owned about sixty busses of which only half could go on the long trips due to bottoming out problems.

Weren’t the Top Deck fleet mostly Bristol Lodekkas?

ParkRoyal2100:
[/quote]
Teaspoon? No madam! You win…
(drumroll)
A set of feeler gauges for adjusting the valve clearances on a Leyland 0.510!! Never used!!! :grimacing:
[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ParkRoyal2100:

sandway:

Weren’t the Top Deck fleet mostly Bristol Lodekkas?

I think later ones were. I reckon Corgi is missing a trick by not producing 1:50 Top Deck Lodekkas to run alongside Tekno’s Middle-East range of 1:50 scale trucks!

A Mercedes Benz coach of Edinburgh Coach Lines in Shearings livery parked up on the A49 lay-by not far from
junction 25, M6, near Wigan today, Sunday 28.11.2021. The little white dots on the pictures are tiny snowflakes.

Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
A Mercedes Benz coach of Edinburgh Coach Lines in Shearings livery parked up on the A49 lay-by not far from
junction 25, M6, near Wigan today, Sunday 28.11.2021.

I don’t know if it’s the same mob Ray, but Shearings were around in the '70s.

ParkRoyal2100:

Ray Smyth:

yep same company been about a good few years now

robthedog:

ParkRoyal2100:

Ray Smyth:

My memory is rubbish, but didn’t Shearings buy out Wallace Arnold?

ParkRoyal2100:

robthedog:

ParkRoyal2100:

Ray Smyth:

Yes, Shearings did acquire Leeds based Wallace Arnold Tours about 10 years ago. For many years, Shearings were based
in Wigan, and I remember them when they were Smiths Tours, operating a large fleet of AEC coaches, they then went on
to become Smiths-Happiway-Spencers, and long before that there was some connection with Wilf Blundell of Southport
and a namechange to Websters Coaches. Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Does anybody know why the time showing on the Old Time Lorries " thread is always 1 hour ahead of the actual time ? :question: :confused: Cheers, Ray.

14 August 1988
Wythall transport Museum
Chapel Lane
Wythall
Worcs
Eng

Another sad BMMO relic.
I do not have enough Midland Red knowledge to be able to identify this. !
Possibly a S12.?

Hi thats a midland red s12 alright…I used to go to school on one from coalville leicestershire garage…once when at primary school about 1960 went on a school trip to whipsnade zoo.on a s12 …the M1 had just opened and it was a long slow ride on a service bus about 40 mph flat out

Ray Smyth:

ParkRoyal2100:

Yes, Shearings did acquire Leeds based Wallace Arnold Tours about 10 years ago. For many years, Shearings were based
in Wigan, and I remember them when they were Smiths Tours, operating a large fleet of AEC coaches, they then went on
to become Smiths-Happiway-Spencers, and long before that there was some connection with Wilf Blundell of Southport
and a namechange to Websters Coaches. Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Thanks Ray, I remember WA coaches at Plymouth in the late 60s/ early 70s and at Bristol and Taunton (and Victoria of course) a few years later.

Whatever happened to distinctive fleet liveries? I’m Pompey-born but too young to remember what Portsmouth Corp buses looked like, though I still remember 2-tone green Southdown coaches with gold script and later on Royal Blue (navy blue and cream). The NBC takeover was bad enough in reducing Southdown (and Western National and others to a flat green and Ribble to a flat red etc.) and Royal Blue to all-white with a badge, but these days it’s all one colour with tacky graphics.