Bus shunter

Anybody know if it’s legal to drive a bus without passengers with an LGV .I’ve got a job but I need to drive them off the street and don’t know if i’m legal .

You need a PCV licence no if’s but’s or maybes.

stagedriver:

Been like that for around the last 30 years

If the Bus is out of service and you have trade plates it’s legal to drive one with nothing more than a car4 licence.

Waco:

stagedriver:

Seriously ?
I was led to believe you could drive a bus on a class 3 if it did not contain any fare paying passengers.
Ho hum . . live and learn.

Buses that can be driven with a full category C licence

If you hold a full category C (LGV) driving licence youcan also drive large buses as long as you have held the licence for at least two years and the vehicle is:

• damaged or faulty and being driven to a place to be repaired, or is being road-tested after repair, and
  • is not used for carrying any person who is not connected with repairing or road-testing it.

Taken from a DVLA leaflet

Think it’s ■■■■■■■■■ ? What do you think keep my job or quit ?

Check this out for an example of my job .
jcp.jobhits.co.uk/Bus-RefuellerS … -HAC-17227

If it’s driving across a road but not along a road (Industrial estate, aye ok) but not down the high street and I’d keep my mouth shut.

I thought you only needed to have a PSV for carrying fare paying passengers, how times change.

It doesn’t say that you have to go on the roads. I guess that this is just in the yard - so no PCV required.

Waco:

stagedriver:

Are you absolutly sure about that?? I understand that as long as you have NO FARE PAYING PASSENGERS you do not need anything other than a car licence to drive a PCV vehicle?

Many people have also converted them into motorhomes and use then for holiday etc.

Madguy :smiling_imp:

madguy:

Waco:

stagedriver:

Are you absolutly sure about that?? I understand that as long as you have NO FARE PAYING PASSENGERS you do not need anything other than a car licence to drive a PCV vehicle?

Many people have also converted them into motorhomes and use then for holiday etc.

If you convert it to a motor home you have it retested with only eight seats and it becomes a car, subject to overall weight.

If the bus company is big enough to need a shunter then would’nt they have checked it out ?

Have you asked them ?

If you went for the job in the first place then surely it crossed your mind that you dont have a P.S.V licence and should maybe point it out to whoever you spoke to .

Im not sure i understand how you’re in a position that you need to ask now .

I once worked for a haulier that had an attached recovery company holding the Police recovery contract.
About 15 years ago a bus driver was attacked outside my mums house whilst I was there and required hospitalisation. When the Police attended I told them that I worked for the said group of companies as an HGV driver, and they asked me if I would mind recovering the vehicle to preserve it for evidential purposes. So after a call to my boss, and the Police call to book the recovery I found myself driving an empty double decker across town to our yard. I queried the Police on whether my licence entitled me to drive the bus and they were more than happy for me to do it. Might just have been a case of turning a blind eye to help them out though!

THIS SHOULD MAKE THINGS CLEAR

When I bought my bus I drove it on a car licence as it was over 30 years and no more than 8 passengers. Since MOT’ing it I’ve had to put change of use on it and its now a HGV

Im still confused as to how you can get in that position and no ones 's thought to ask …

Im going for a job as a brain surgeon i think i’ll just hope no one bothers to ask if i hold the required qualification . :unamused:

If it is a job with all the driving done in the yard you don’t even need a car licence the same as a shunter doesn’t need a HGV to work in a RDC as long as they don’t leave it.

madguy:

Waco:

stagedriver:

Positive. Lad I knew in the 80’s that worked for Northern General as a shunter had to take a PSV test even though he’d been doing the job for years and only traveled on a road for no more than 50 yards.