Burn Bros . Barton N/Yorkshire

Does anyone out there have any information , photographs etc , regarding this operator who ran a fleet of very nice Fodens and other makes on night trunks to the Glasgow area , I believe they also ran a fleet of coaches , are they still in business ? all information would be interesting .

shugg:
Does anyone out there have any information , photographs etc , regarding this operator who ran a fleet of very nice Fodens and other makes on night trunks to the Glasgow area , I believe they also ran a fleet of coaches , are they still in business ? all information would be interesting .

Yea i used to deliver fuel to them in Barton,i lived in that area as a lad(Cleasby)i knew some of the drivers for a long time and the brothers who owned the company,been gone for along time now,but the old garage and house is still there,but i have never seen any photos of the trucks .Vic.

v7victor:

shugg:

Ive seen some of their old motors on a video somewhere but I cant for my life think where it was or where I was shown It, Possible one of the Transpennine runs ■■?, & perhaps going over Shap ■■?, I will try & find out as I would enjoy seeing them again, Regards Larry.

Ive just had a thought Crowbar may be able to help out with this, Im sure his Foden 2 stroke was on the same video, Regards Larry.

heres a photo of their yard as it is today,the garage is on the left, house/office on the right and trailer park behind.Vic.

Burn Bros Scottish depot was at the top end of Newarthill about a mile down from Newhouse roundabout and a couple of minutes from my house at the time. When I had the truck home I used to dump the trailer in Burn’s yard I also think Daysons (spelling ?) of Carlisle also parked trailers there.
This was over 20 years ago so the memory is a bit faded but I’m sure wee Davie McGurk or McGurl was the transport manager and they were doing a lot of steel down the road.
Although I dont have any pictures to back up my memory I’m sure at the time they were running wendy house cab scanias 92’s or 93’s ,orange or red in colour.
After Burn’s moved out the Newarthill yard H C Wilson took it over I remember going in to ask if there was any jobs going, there was but when they told me what their wage rate was I thought ■■■■ that and decided to stay where I was.
I still see wee Davie running about in what I think is his own motor , a red cf daf usually pulling a flat.

aye Daysons o southwaite used that yard .
I remember having to leave a truck up in glasgow on a friday\loading monday and getting a lift to the yrd to get a lift home from a dayson driver that lived in lochmaben.
Burn bros seem to remember volvo 86s green in colour ■■.or were they red . ■■■■ memory.
jimmy

JIMBO47:
I remember having to leave a truck up in glasgow on a friday\loading monday and getting a lift to the yrd to get a lift home from a dayson driver that lived in lochmaben.
Burn bros seem to remember volvo 86s green in colour ■■.or were they red . ■■■■ memory.
jimmy

Defo red Fodens, Commers etc, Allways looked smart, Regards Larry.

thanks for that,yup can see them red fodens now ,wonder what steel hauler im thinking o wi the green 86s that were always on the A74.
jimmy.

JIMBO47:
thanks for that,yup can see them red fodens now ,wonder what steel hauler im thinking o wi the green 86s that were always on the A74.
jimmy.

Burnholme Transport perhaps ? from Penrith area, Regards Larry.

JIMBO47:
jimmy.

was the green motors not burnhome transport. jeh.

thats them !!.. that would have bugged for a while.
jiimy
:blush:

The yard at Newarthill was originally J K Allens another outfit who ran night and day this was late 50s/60s. Eddie.

Aye Eddie I remember them very well, you had to keep well to the left when they came up behind you, Nerves of steel, or no bloody nerves at all, They used to fly, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

JIMBO47:
jimmy

Defo red Fodens, Commers etc, Allways looked smart, Regards Larry.

Aye thats right Larry,Fodens,Commers,but later on they did have 86s and they were red till the end,one of the Commers was driven by a lad known Dixie Dean, he always had a semi/low box van on used to do empty 45 gal drums into ICI Castle works at Billingham ,i wish i had some photos but there dos’nt seem to be any.Theres a building firm in the yard at barton goes by the same name so it looks like the family as moved in to the building trade.Larry you may remember Dixie a bloke with a handlebar tash,well known and liked in them days.Regards Vic.

Another thing comes to mind,they had a monkey lived in the repair shop at Barton,it used to pinch any thing it could get its hands on and take them up in the rafters and throw the articles at visitors it didn’t like,(me for one)

I recall seeing Burn Brothers on the A66 goat track when I was on nights early 80s. They were red motors with “Tyne -Tees -Wear -Clyde” on front. I used to get them mixed up with Simpsons from Stocksfield. :unamused:

Bumped this up because I’m interested to know if I got the " Tyne - Tees - Wear - Clyde " bit right on the fronts of their motors. :laughing:

Yea thats right.Vic.

Burn Bros 2 stroke Foden climbing Kiln Pit hill on one of Ted Hannon’s North of England runs.