Bulk tippers

you missed one out there bruce , you forgot " yes , hard as iron that ground "

Be prepared for some long,very long, boring waits at some mills, can blow a load of granular limestone quicker than biscuit meal can be tipped at a lot.

Be prepared to be laughed at, scorned and then sworn at for sticking to the speed limits…
Or refusing to tip off the card…

And get used to being lied to…by the office, the farmers, the mills etc etc…

Get lots, and I mean lots, of cleaning materials for your cab…and be prepared for the futile task of trying to keep grain dust out of the cab!

Contraflow:

gickniff:
That lot have quite a reputation among the bulk tipping community…

Yes, they do indeed. :unamused:

I drive a bulk tipper in the East Midlands and I’m in no rush whatsoever. :sunglasses:

Nothing pleasures me more than doing 40mph on a single carriageway, setting my CB to channel 29 and seeing a Fernwood Transport convoy on my tail. :laughing:

Same as mate! I don’t hang about but am not in a rush, seen too many ■■■■■■■■ dropped and dropped a few my self racing about , and we get a bad name as it is for having a tipper behind the cab, as for advice for the man , stop assess the situation if in doubt ASK ! Everyone remembers the lad that had never been before but flew in and caused havoc better to be over cautious and spend 5 mins asking than a Pillock and it costing hours

Don’t forget, many tear arses get back to the yard first but are still there when you get back because they can’t rest without knowing what you did today.

Best advice i can give you mate is dont be afraid ask 5mins listerning can save a a lot of hours sweeping and shoveling up :smiley:

Some older mills will ask you to tip through one hatch rather than all of yours on the tailgate if their feeder is slow.

Muckaway:
Some older mills will ask you to tip through one hatch rather than all of yours on the tailgate if their feeder is slow.

Most mills are through the grain hatch not the tailgate only big places will let tip in one hit

the big un:

Muckaway:

Most mills are through the grain hatch not the tailgate only big places will let tip in one hit

I meant ones with multiple hatches in the tailgate; When I worked for Matthews they used to ask for “one hatch only.” The Matthews’ men would’ve had a heart attack if you used the tailgate. :laughing:

Muckaway:
Don’t forget, many tear arses get back to the yard first but are still there when you get back because they can’t rest without knowing what you did today.

Cured that many years ago , pull in yard fill up fuel swill truck down , park up " hey up alright" " yes mate thanks" walk in office and home . I don’t care what I’m doing never mind what anyone else is on with! To be fair I do work with a good bunch though

Once saw one of Carefoot’s tip a load of Soya at NWF Wardle “rock salt style” on intake number 2, the old chap on the bridge couldn’t work out how he was back round to weigh out in under 10 minutes until he checked the CCTV after :laughing:

Will second the Phillips Navigator road atlas though, a must for farm work

Defo Phillps Navigator

Good luck Mark :smiley: You’ll be fine :wink: :wink:

If you’re doing farm work make sure you ring the farmer first as the address you get might not be the collection address. As 1 of ours found out when He first started, turned up at some posh mansion to be told the grain store is 10 mile back the way he’d come from. :blush: :blush: Some flour mills don’t allow you to open the tailboard after tipping, ADM Toxteth, Rank’s Trafford Park Nelstrops Stockport to name a few. Animal feed mills are ok to open tailboard after… You’ll be ok.

What’s the difference between a tipper and a bulk tipper? Is an aggregate bodied artic tipper a bulker? Is it a certain volume?

Most bulkers are duel use for aggregates and mill work but tend to be higher cubic capacity
Alot of aggregate trailers are smaller such as the halfpipe trailers and tend to be lightier due to the lower sides one piece tail boards so
the rewards are higher with nets rather than full sheets
As most companies tend to use the bulkers to maximise the vehicles income alot run 55cuft to 75cuft for the best of both worlds and full cover sheets

Come on mark do tell, what r u doin.

Regards, yellow ferrari driver kirkby

maestro:
Come on mark do tell, what r u doin.

Regards, yellow ferrari driver kirkby

Yes - do tell… Kill the intrigue…

mark h:
Will be getting a call tommoro about a job on the bulkers doing grain etc on a class 1 bulker, now I have had abit of experience on them but not massively and I think am gong to accept the job,

I know how to tip, sheet up, clearance before sending box up etc but anything particular I should know ?

Know how to use a shovel