Builder`s merchant deliveries

Some good,some bad,some free coffee,some no longer have a vending machine.I have made the very illegal sin of driving in without asking permision from the gaf in charge,i was read the riot act,and given can you not read dumb driver speech,you will have to wait around the corner,or rather in the naughty corner,even though your yard is EMPTY.
Most of the time,you can have a good laugh with the forkies,so no major dramas,unless you make them yourself.

Except when they put pallets of bricks in the way after you go in; when they won’t go out and block traffic to let you reverse out (elf’nsafety mate); when the YTS (do they still have them?) kid on the fork lift reverses into your cab… All good fun though. :unamused:

Youth Training Scheme!!Dont forget the builders vans that block you in,they just park anywhere,and vanish when you have to leave.

Sounds like Jewson?

The place i worked last year had a massive sign outside saying words to the effect of all deliveries to park up outside and walk in on foot before driving in, but still they drove in ignoring it usually getting the TM’s back up in the process and sent back outside for a 30 minute “contemplation period”/naughty step treatment .The yard was kept empty so that our lads i.e 5 or 6 trucks on locals could zip in for a fast re-load and turn around, without dodging around artics with our mad forkies swarming all around them.

Dont expect to get tipped when they are loading their own wagons in the morning rush,i have got tipped when pulling in the gates at 16.55 when they shut at 17.00.Act like you dont care if they take it or not,that works well.

toby1234abc:
Dont expect to get tipped when they are loading their own wagons in the morning rush,i have got tipped when pulling in the gates at 16.55 when they shut at 17.00.Act like you dont care if they take it or not,that works well.

One guy brought a trailer load of 6 metre ducting from scotland, on the sign it said strictly no deliveries after 3.30pm this guy arrived at 3.45pm told the T.M he had to get tipped quickly as he had somewhere else to go, but because of his surly attitude the T.M asked him to park outside the entrance and night out there, lets just say some colourful words were exchanged . :laughing:

Top tip : Just walk in offer to buy the T.M a coffee and crack a few jokes and you will get tipped a.s.a.p. :wink:

That is the way to do it,most of the places are only one wagon in at a time,and some are larger yards,just ask them where a good place to eat is nearby,they dont like you having a good time and you get tipped double quick.

If you have the phone number,i ring them to say,do you mind if i get there close to closing time,99% of the time you will get an answer straight away,and dont mind,they have been waiting on the gates for me,if you can`t make it,stay away,find a decent place to park up.

What I really really hate about the merchants with “all deliveries please do not enter the yard until given permission” etc, is that normally they are absolutely nowhere near anywhere to park… or turn round… or even just “dump it” for 10 mins without risking a ticket.

The amount of times I’ve been “moved on” by parking attendants while waiting outside/nearby a builders merchant for the forkie to stop self fornicating, is rediculous.

Naughty corner is around the corner.

Why would I buy a wee tossed a coffee to get tipped, are you on drugs. If I don’t get tipped then they obviously don’t want there load. It can come back another day

I work for a builders merchants and there is nothing more annoying than not being able to get in & out your own yard because some arrogant t…t has decided to block it to get tipped as he feels more important …

kemaro:
I work for a builders merchants and there is nothing more annoying than not being able to get in & out your own yard because some arrogant t…t has decided to block it to get tipped as he feels more important …

They’re probably there because the gaffers kids are tipping them :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

kemaro:

You bein sarcastic or is that for real■■?

nearly there:
Why would I buy a wee tossed a coffee to get tipped, are you on drugs. If I don’t get tipped then they obviously don’t want there load. It can come back another day

I was merely pointing out the fact that if you require a quick tip, bribery usually helps your cause, if however you are not in a hurry paid by the hour and would like to extend into your 15 hour spread as far as possible, then you can tell him where to go and spend several hours on the bunk instead and contrary to popular belief i am not on drugs, but thank you for your concern .

roadrunner:

nearly there:

I was merely pointing out the fact that if you require a quick tip, bribery usually helps your cause, if however you are not in a hurry paid by the hour and would like to extend into your 15 hour spread as far as possible, then you can tell him where to go and spend several hours on the bunk instead and contrary to popular belief i am not on drugs, but thank you for your concern .

Fair enough I was quite sarcastic there, my apologies

was at a builders merchant last week drive in so far and there is a pallet of blocks in the way ask the guy to move em he says they have been there all week and never had a problem before but he moved em
so to prove my point i put my cab were the block were and showed him they HAD to be moved :unamused:
after his little moan he forgot all about it because a class 2 broke the golden rule and drove straight in without waiting
imagine the panic TWO delivery trucks in the same yard at the SAME time :exclamation:

We deliver to loads of Builders Merchants (plasterboard from Lafarge) and I always find a bit of reverse psychology always works. You must always remember that THEY NEED THE STUFF SO THEY CAN SELL IT!!
So when you go in and they say “we’re chokka mate your gonna have a wait on your hands”, I always say, “No worries mate I’ll ring the gaffer and see what he wants me to to do as I’m booked in at blah blah for 11am”
All of a sudden . . . your tipped!
Or another one is “yeah no problem at all mate, I’m paid by the hour so longer the better for me” . . . TIPPED! :wink: :wink:

kemaro:

This. Grain hauliers with no work bring our type 1 and flint in and then moan and whinge when at the end of the day, we’re on our washdown and they want to use it. They come in before 7am when we’re queuing for the weighbridge to tare us in; walk down the line of lorries expecting us all to move.
Here’s an idea; Follow the site rules or ■■■■ off. Simples.