BRYAN HAULAGE

Anybody have any pics or stories about BRYAN Haulage ? they were fridge hauliers based near Northlew in Devon, they closed down
a couple years ago.
I did my hgv with Steve Robertson from Okehampton and worked there soon after, a lot of us “learned the ropes” with them.
I’ve got some pics but i’m struggling to get them scanned,

Cheers
MD

If that’s th firm with the white MAN’s,I saw some of their motors parked up on Exeter services about 12 months ago,I got the impression they were running from there!

I know in later years, they used nearly all MAN, but when I was there they had F12, FH12 & R113 Scanias and a few IVECO Eurotecs.
Used to changeover in Exeter services a lot. so would most likely be them, they ran all over Britain from a farmyard about 10 miles
west of Okehampton.

There’s a lot of stuff on here about other Westcountry firms, but not much about Bryan’s. I know that loads of drivers “passed through” there.It
would be nice to hear from them.

Cheers

MD

There was a driver from New ■■■■■■■ in Ayrshire was on for them for years he always had MAN’s and fridge trailers. Eddie.

One of my own pics…

Mike

Last time I was close to a Bryan wagon was a few years ago in Chieveley Services (M4/Newbury), I was on the pumps & there was a Bryan wagon on the other side of the same pump, MAN IIRC, the bloke fuelling it had on a old pair of jogging bottoms & trainers & a scruffy old jacket, he was fuelling with no gloves on, his wagon needed a ■■■■ good wash & to be honest so did he :unamused: He said something & as I guessed he was Polish or somewhere close, he was pointing his pump nozzle towards my tank, I thought well he can’t be offering to give me fuel, but oh yes he was :open_mouth: , at the time BP were giving out fuel vouchers for Mcdonalds burgers etc, he pulled some from his pocket & waved them smiling, I just shrugged & thought why not :confused: , but he didn’t just put 5-10 Ltrs in, he was obviously starving because he whacked 50 Ltrs into my tank to get max points :open_mouth: so when I heard they’d gone bust it wasn’t much of a shock if they had that kind of “person” driving for them :frowning: .

Yes I heard they had nearly all Eastern European drivers working for them at the end. They had a good team in the late eighties/early nineties and as far
as I could tell, knew where every bit of diesel and pallet, for that matter, went
The trucks were pretty good too, fairly new.
Its a shame if they went downhill later on.

MD

My knowledge may well have some gaps in but from what I can recall off the top of my head their fleet in the early to mid 90’s comprised of the following;
(Please feel free to fill in the gaps or correct me where I’ve got it wrong)

Bryan Haulage trucks,

It’s Bryan’s keeping it cool, again.

H reg, x2 Scania R113 360 tag axle on steel.
H■■?

J reg, x2 Scania R113 360 tag axle on steel.
J756MDV
J757MDV

J reg, x1 Merc 2035(?) twin steer on
steel.
J755MDV

J reg, x2 Volvo F12 400 centre lift on steel.
J753MDV
J754MDV

J reg x2 Volvo F12 360 centre lift on steel.
J758MDV
J759MDV
(Not entirely sure I have these two correct)

K reg x5 Volvo F12 360 centre lift on steel.
K???TTT

L reg x5 Iveco Eurotec 340 twin steer on air.
L■■?

L reg x2 Volvo F12 360 centre lift on steel.
L???BOD

M reg x5 Volvo FH12 380 centre lift on air.
M■■?

N reg x5 Volvo FH12 380 centre lift on air.
N???PFJ

N reg x1 Scania R113 360 centre lift and steer on air
N???VDV

P reg x10 MAN F2000 400 centre lift on air.
P■■?

I know after that they stuck pretty much exclusively to MAN and had trucks on at least R, S, and T plates.

Hi, iirc I think one of their drivers was killed on the old A419,s/bound other side of RAF Fairford. It would have been 1994 onwards when they were upgrading that road. Think he was well known on the cb at that time.Think he was loaded with chocolate at the time.

Tgtrucker:
My knowledge may well have some gaps in but from what I can recall off the top of my head their fleet in the early to mid 90’s comprised of the following;

Bryan Haulage trucks,

H■■?

J756MDV
J757MDV

steel.
J755MDV

J753MDV
J754MDV

J758MDV
J759MDV

K???TTT

L■■?

L???BOD

M■■?

N???PFJ

N???VDV

P■■?

I know after that they stuck pretty much exclusively to MAN and had trucks on at least R, S, and T plates.

Wow !! some memories flooding back now, the H plate Scanias were H98 & H108 but was it MDV or AOD, The J plate F12 360’s you’ve
got right, The K plate F12’s were K912-916 TTT, The IVECO’s were L282-286 AOD, The L plate F12’s were L108-109 BOD, The M plate
FH12’s were M805-809 JFJ + M695-696 ■■? again MDV but not sure, I drove FH12 N348 & N349 PFJ and the N reg Scania, the MAN’s
started with P821-826 XTA. They had a ROADHAUS which I think was S reg. And an R plate Scania.
There was an M plate MAN which was written off in very sad circumstances
They started a driving school for which they had a funny little Foden 385 S643 COU, and also an ERF EC11 V629 MKK

I lost touch after that,

Great stuff,
MD

manitou:
Hi, iirc I think one of their drivers was killed on the old A419,s/bound other side of RAF Fairford. It would have been 1994 onwards when they were upgrading that road. Think he was well known on the cb at that time.Think he was loaded with chocolate at the time.

Yes thats right, are you allowed to name drivers on here ?, I went into the yard the day it happened and RW said don’t muck about,
everybody’s a bit upset, then he said what had happened, He was driving an M plate MAN, they rebuilt the trailer.
A while later RW left and we toasted the driver at the leaving do. quite a moment !!

MD

Cosmic:
One of my own pics…

Mike

Cheers Mike, I’ve been trawling the net looking for others without much luck, none of my pics are digital and my scanners not much
good, but I’ll keep trying.

MD

Another MAN artic.

MO DHACHAIDH:

Tgtrucker:

Bryan Haulage trucks,

H■■?

J756MDV
J757MDV

steel.
J755MDV

J753MDV
J754MDV

J758MDV
J759MDV

K???TTT

L■■?

L???BOD

M■■?

N???PFJ

N???VDV

P■■?

Wow !! some memories flooding back now, the H plate Scanias were H98 & H108 but was it MDV or AOD, The J plate F12 360’s you’ve
got right, The K plate F12’s were K912-916 TTT, The IVECO’s were L282-286 AOD, The L plate F12’s were L108-109 BOD, The M plate
FH12’s were M805-809 JFJ + M695-696 ■■? again MDV but not sure, I drove FH12 N348 & N349 PFJ and the N reg Scania, the MAN’s
started with P821-826 XTA. They had a ROADHAUS which I think was S reg. And an R plate Scania.
There was an M plate MAN which was written off in very sad circumstances
They started a driving school for which they had a funny little Foden 385 S643 COU, and also an ERF EC11 V629 MKK

I lost touch after that,

Great stuff,
MD

iirc the R reg Scania was purchased to keep a certain Mr RJ (BJ) happy.
The M reg MAN you mention was normally driven by BD

I can remember many names from back then but as you point out, I’m not sure of the etiquette of naming names, after all some might not want it to be public knowledge that they worked for PJB !!!

Didn’t the R plate scania get wrapped up at one stage ?

I got serious grief when I was sent on a Milton Keynes run in the M reg MAN. RW promised the driver it was only back at the yard for inspection and would remain parked up. RW said it hadn’t moved, but couldn’t account for the 470 extra miles.
I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when B got in the office !

MD

MO DHACHAIDH:

manitou:

Yes thats right, are you allowed to name drivers on here ?, I went into the yard the day it happened and RW said don’t muck about,
everybody’s a bit upset, then he said what had happened, He was driving an M plate MAN, they rebuilt the trailer.
A while later RW left and we toasted the driver at the leaving do. quite a moment !!

MD

Hi Mo, Can remember where it happened I used to drive the road e/night.I didn’t know the driver but he used to talk to a mate of mine on the cb his handle was Ginger. Ginger passed away a few years ago from cancer. All very sad.

TIDDERSON,
I had forgotten about the trailer advertising, there were several, one was for a Robbie Williams album, they provided wagons
for album launch publicity shoot as well.Another had a number of girls on which caused a lot of interest, I think it was for shampoo.
Its not that long ago but in these days of Globetrotters and Super spacecabs, its hard to imagine some lived and worked in these wagons
for weeks at a time.

Cheers
MD

Greetings I’m afraid I the bearer of bad news Roger Lane also known as Paddy passed away last week. He’d had been battling cancer for awhile. I also worked for Bryan’s from94 until 98 " the good years " alongside Bobby Jefferies, Rodney &Robin Jewell and many many more wonderfull people I’m known as Monty cheers

I had J758 MDV ,J755 MDV after scots Billy got his man which as said he had his accident. Then onto L108bod then P825XTA. The man from Perth was called Kenny

Interesting thread but its hard work trying to de code it !