Broken into while sleeping Kalken services Belgium

Hi All just to warn and tell you all had the truckers worst nightmare happen to me in the early hours on Thursday this week. got parked up in kalken services nice and early and quite near the garage. Got my head down and about 3.30am i sensed the cab moving and woke up weary eyed and rolled over and saw all my cupboards were open. for a split second i thought id left them open but quickly realised I hadnt then saw my driver door was wide open. suddenly my heart sunk and realised someone had got in. I shot to the door to see someone walking down the side of my trailer and shouted you scumbag what do you think your doing only for a knife to be brandished at me. not good. so got back in and ratchet strapped the doors shut. My doors had been locked and there was no force entry so managed to get the central locking undone. Makes me feel sick that someone was right in there while i was sleeping and had a knife. luckily I had hidden my wallet and sleep with it under my pillow. nothing had been taken. so looks like just after cash and cards.

Seems to be happening more frequently lately…2 guys i know, one on our firm, and another english guy had same done, one was at Jabbeke and the other was down near Arrass…sign of the economic climate i think…or could be illegals changing tactics :cry:

I’m a light sleeper so probably would have woken up with him in the cab which sounds an even worse situation than you were in, I bet you didn’t get any sleep after that. What did Culina say about it ?

Sorry to hear that, take it you were out of hours as only another ten minutes to Lokeren.

I was parked up at Tienen services between Brussels and Liege on 27/28 Feb and was gassed and then robbed … This week I’ve bought some of these to fit
They are 105db so hopefully they’ll help me sleep a bit better
The police out there said the ■■■■ heads have started targeting Brits because they know we’ve got money,gadgets etc.

Forgot to say that the police said never ratchet strap yourself in but to thread your seatbelts through the handles as the door will still open and let some fresh air in … In my actros I can just about do this but other trucks I’m not so sure

I’ve just tried that on my MAN tgx and obviously it depends on seating position but I could just open the door barely 2 inches so I reckon that could be a darned good idea. :bulb: :bulb:

bald bloke:
I’ve just tried that on my MAN tgx and obviously it depends on seating position but I could just open the door barely 2 inches so I reckon that could be a darned good idea. :bulb: :bulb:

In my Actros I have to lean the seats right forward to lock them in and with those alarms I’m hoping I’ll be alerted to an attempted break in…

when i was in jabbeck (sp) i was having a 30 min when some dude just stood next too the cab staring at me, cracked the window asked him politely to leave and he started gyrating and nodding to his groin, now as flattered as i was and happy that he wasn’t here to steal my fuel cards i still found this rather concerning. luckily a stale crusty cob was at hand and i scored a 180. turns out he had approached every english truck in the yard and no one saw him after he approached a ropey looking W & D at the end of the line. can imagine him now hog tied in a second bunk contemplating his life decisions

yeah i was pretty much out of time had run down from tipping in Holland. Will be parking in the factory where I load from now on there fine with me parking there so also it means at least i can go for a wander round the town. Just a nasty experience but i will still be using straps inside.

Reading this makes my blood boil i am no tough guy and i know first hand when someone tries your door fear kicks in, but god help anyone who tried this on me. Im a very light sleeper i reckon id be waiting in the seat before he got the door open.

Two weeks ago I was parked overnight in a large well lit parking area (vosselar) heading back towards antwerp from Germany. Its my own fault I should know better… However I couldn’t get in the services and was empty running back to desselgem for a load.
I was parked early and the alarm was on for 0245. I was half awake waiting for the alarm to go when I heard the central locking whirring.
I shot up and reached for the door lock but it wouldn’t push to relock. So i got out with my “persuader”. The barrel of the lock had been turned. Luckily it turned back with the key so I got back in. Started my shift and drove off.
That’s the first time in my career I’ve felt worried for my safety. I’m just glad I woke up.
Be careful lads and lasses there are some proper scumbags out there.

freshneasy:
yeah i was pretty much out of time had run down from tipping in Holland. Will be parking in the factory where I load from now on there fine with me parking there so also it means at least i can go for a wander round the town. Just a nasty experience but i will still be using straps inside.

Try the seatbelt method it works and at least you can keep passenger door safe all the time if you wish.

Last week i was returning to Slovenia from UK i was quite suprised how many people i saw hanging around the services when i stopped for fuel in fact one of the services i parked for something to eat this was about 10 o clock at night i was a bit worried and moved the car to near the fuel stop so i could see the car

I got he viperguArd door locks that go over the door handle. Brilliant device and i they they have started to trade agsin… Well worth the money. But always have a spare key with you or hidden ob your unit incase u jump out forgt they r on then your locked out

Im loading in Lochristi monday morning so whats Lokeren like to park in on a sunday night? Is it safe? do you have to pay? never been there so not quite sure where it is either any help thanks

Ok

Ignore the previous post. User error.

Lokeren restaurant is shut at weekends. You have to pay €1 per hr after 2 hrs payable at machine.

Last time I was broken into in Belgium, at Drongen services, not only did they not get anything, but they had the decency to leave me a wallet containing £75 in Sterling as well as these after I had battered the crap out of four of them with a wheel brace and they fled in a panic.