British written signs

I was wondering recently about all that written signs. Are they mandatory, or just I should treat them as a reccomendation?

For example: on the end of M74 near the works of completions, are yellow signs with black letters on them “MAX SPEED: 50”. Is that the same that this:

or I can just drive with the speed I think it’s safe?

Or “Unsuitable for HGV”. I’ve been to few places signed as this and they were perfectly suitable :smiley:. So did I broke the law? Or I would do it only if I go into the road marked like that:

And, yet again, what if I am from Bulgaria for example, and not only I don’t speak English, but cannot even read european letters? How then I can know what’s written on that sign?

Also, some of these signs are not give enaugh information, but also I can’t think that they make any things easier.

Say: you drive 10 m long vehicle and you approach the sign saying “UNSUITABLE FOR LONG VEHICLES”. How can you know if you are “long enaugh” to that this sign applies to you? Isn’t it easier to put one of these instead and everything is clear?:

Also: Unsuitable for heavy vehicles. What is a heavy vehicle? 7,5 tons? 44 tons? Reliant Robin? (I can’t lift it, so for me it’s heavy). Or maybe HGV? But if HGV is heavy vehicle what should I do if I drive one of these:

This for sure is NOT a HGV.

Also: is there any list of British signs which can be used legally? Or at least as it’s comply with a rule, say “white triangle with red border with danger specified inside” I can use it to show any danger, such like frogs: ,
ships:
squirrels: ,
cattle grid:
or, for example stupid questions asked by orys? :slight_smile:

orys:
Also: Unsuitable for heavy vehicles. What is a heavy vehicle? 7,5 tons? 44 tons? Reliant Robin? (I can’t lift it, so for me it’s heavy). quote]

Like it, nice one Orys :laughing: :laughing:

orys:
ships:

LOL… that’s a funny looking ship, orys :laughing: :laughing:

orys:
ships:

Ships !! :smiley:

edit: Steve-o beat me to it :laughing:

If it’s in a red circle then it’s compulsory. Anything else is either a suggestion or a warning. Eg. the flashing gantry boards you see on motorways that flash 40 or 50 are only advisory. The only compulsory ones you see on the motorways are the ones round the the M42 and M25 which will show the speed limit in a digital red circle. The yellow ‘max speed xmph’ signs are only advisory as well.

Steve-o:

orys:
ships:

This is a transpasture one :slight_smile:

orys:
Also: Unsuitable for heavy vehicles. What is a heavy vehicle? 7,5 tons? 44 tons? Reliant Robin? (I can’t lift it, so for me it’s heavy). Or maybe HGV? But if HGV is heavy vehicle what should I do if I drive one of these:

I was wondering this, because most signs have a picture of a truck, Im hopefully temporarily driving coaches, therefore any restrictions I presume apply to trucks :wink:
And going back to flashing in, Ive been surprised by the amount of truck drivers flashing me back in when I overtake :open_mouth:

DAF95XF:

orys:

I was wondering this, because most signs have a picture of a truck, Im hopefully temporarily driving coaches, therefore any restrictions I presume apply to trucks :wink:
And going back to flashing in, Ive been surprised by the amount of truck drivers flashing me back in when I overtake :open_mouth:

I don’t usually bother as 99% of coach drivers don’t bother thanking

tachograph:

orys:
ships:

I see no ships!! lol Err, thats Nelson at Trafalgar…we won by the way. But thats the RN for you. :wink: :wink:

Dunno then?:

tachograph:

orys:
ships:

I see no ships!! lol Err, thats Nelson at Trafalgar…we won by the way. But thats the RN for you. :wink: :wink:

Nelson aye …well it’s whatever floats yer boat I guess :wink:

Sorry I’ll leave now :frowning: :wink:

tachograph:

Dunno then?:

tachograph:

orys:
ships:

Nelson aye …well it’s whatever floats yer boat I guess :wink:

Sorry I’ll leave now :frowning: :wink:

Best you do! You are way off tack!!! Tacho!!! lol

DAF95XF:

orys:

Strange thing is that most restrictions don’t include buses, for example the entrance to Milton Park near Didcot has been a 7.5t limit for the past couple of years due to the bridge needing to be replaced, there is a sign just before the bridge saying buses are allowed one at a time despite being over 7.5t. Surely if the bridge is that bad then all vehicles over 7.5t would be banned inc buses, but no cos that would mean a 5 mile detour the trucks have to take.

And another point on said bridge, if the road to Didcot is closed due to an accident as it often is then the police just divert all traffic over said bridge, trucks and all.

Rob K:
If it’s in a red circle then it’s compulsory. Anything else is either a suggestion or a warning. Eg. the flashing gantry boards you see on motorways that flash 40 or 50 are only advisory. The only compulsory ones you see on the motorways are the ones round the the M42 and M25 which will show the speed limit in a digital red circle. The yellow ‘max speed xmph’ signs are only advisory as well.

Just for Rob K :smiley: see 258

Amber flashing lights. These warn of a hazard ahead. The signal may show a temporary maximum speed limit, lanes that are closed or a message such as ‘Fog’. Adjust your speed and look out for the danger until you pass a signal which is not flashing or one that gives the ‘All clear’ sign and you are sure it is safe to increase your speed.

Red flashing lights. If red lights on the overhead signals flash above your lane and a red ‘X’ is showing, you MUST NOT go beyond the signal in that lane. If red lights flash on a signal in the central reservation or at the side of the road, you MUST NOT go beyond the signal in any lane.

direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 070561.pdf

Good on ORYS for asking the questions but surely you should know these things before taking to the road in foreign lans etc :open_mouth:

speedyguy:
Good on ORYS for asking the questions but surely you should know these things before taking to the road in foreign lans etc :open_mouth:

I drive all over Europe.

I DON’T know every wrinkle of every countries traffic laws.
I do know the majority of them, mainly because the majority are Europe wide traffic laws.

For example, I’m not sure, in Germany, if the symbol of a truck in a weight limiting sign means 3.5 tonnes and over, or 7.5 tonnes and over. Not that it matters much to me, I’m driving a truck which is 15 tonnes when empty so the limit applies to me whichever it is. :grimacing:

Simon:
For example, I’m not sure, in Germany, if the symbol of a truck in a weight limiting sign means 3.5 tonnes and over, or 7.5 tonnes and over. Not that it matters much to me, I’m driving a truck which is 15 tonnes when empty so the limit applies to me whichever it is. :grimacing:

It’s 3.5 tonnes and over, Simon, where the sign stands alone.

Where higher weight limits are allowed, this is indicated by an additional sign underneath (ie 7.5, 16, 25 etc…)

So, how should Johnny Foreigner be expected to know what this corresponds to in metric?

Certainly, the Slovakian gentleman who deemed it prudent to overtake me the other day in the roadworks near Leeming Bar (southbound, just where the concrete blocks start, which was interesting…) seemed oblivious to the meaning of the signage :imp: :imp:

speedyguy:

Yeh, in some way you right, but I think that you don’t have to know every small rule - as we can see even from that thread, even Britons don’t know everything.

A bit of common sense and you should be all right :slight_smile:

speedyguy:

Rob K:

Just for Rob K :smiley: see 258

Amber flashing lights. These warn of a hazard ahead. The signal may show a temporary maximum speed limit, lanes that are closed or a message such as ‘Fog’. Adjust your speed and look out for the danger until you pass a signal which is not flashing or one that gives the ‘All clear’ sign and you are sure it is safe to increase your speed.

Red flashing lights. If red lights on the overhead signals flash above your lane and a red ‘X’ is showing, you MUST NOT go beyond the signal in that lane. If red lights flash on a signal in the central reservation or at the side of the road, you MUST NOT go beyond the signal in any lane.

direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 070561.pdf

It’s still only advisory as such as it isn’t enforceable.

Steve-o:

orys:
ships:

A little known fact is that those signs are banned in Aberdeen except for the red light district. :laughing:

Anyone like to have a go at a test? It’s harder than you might think.

I failed - 38 out of 40