British Road Haulage Questionnaire

Morning all,

Please could you spare a few minutes to answer my questionnaire for my dissertation. It is about the British Road Haulage Industry and Vehicle / Company Livery. It is all self-explanatory and gives you a chance to express your opinions about certain aspects of our great industry.

The link for the Questionnaire is: docs.google.com/forms/d/1yy_PPr … hUBAk/edit

Thank you very, very much if you do fill in the questionnaire, it is much appreciated and I will be grateful for a long time!

Regards,

James Ostick

Transport and Logistics Management (Year 4)
University of Huddersfield

NO

Dissertation Questionnaire: British Road Haulage Industryk

Not being funny mate- but if your the future of road haulage(or Logistics as those who have never done the job like to call it) then before you plan a dissertation on our industry please try to get the very simple title of the questionnaire right - it may be a simple misplaced K to you, but on a planning sheet that sort of minor error could cost money- a mistake a mere traffic planner may make but not whats expected from a future captain of our industry :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I started it but gave up when asked if I’d heard of Eddie Stobart.

Sorry.

done it

I just put myself through the questionnaire- I wish I hadn’t

It has nothing to do with the industry and all about promoting a brand to the public, 99.9% of which do not commission road haulage - if it was serious look at how to promote a company within the industry and its customers it may have been a valid start to a promising career- unfortunately it fails on so many levels - sorry chap but if this is your degree attempt, then all it shows is you actually know nothing about the ground roots of “our” industry at all, maybe PR is more your thing

Are you at Loughborough? If so I do know of the course tutor- and if this ■■■■■■■■ is what they are teaching you then perhaps I should drop him an e-mail and suggest they either teach real world road transport- or something else- sorry they are, teaching the ■■■■■■■■ called logistics - a fancy name that means nothing - then you are learning nothing about the industry at all, just how to sound smart in meetings- that have zero effect on productivity on the ground

If your in year 4 of a degree course about road transport- you just wasted 4 years of your life
If your in year 4 of a degree course in logistics - you probably just got a job with one of the multinationals where anything you say or do wont make an iota of difference to the guys actually driving the trucks- unless its HSE ■■■■■■■■-either way with the attitude of your questionnaire the one thing you wont get- Is any real understanding of road haulage

And he’s posted pictures of Randall Barber trucks on here before 2 yrs ago and they were in the questionaire. :confused:

Rikki-UK:
Are you at Loughborough? If so I do know of the course tutor- and if this ■■■■■■■■ is what they are teaching you then perhaps I should drop him an e-mail and suggest they either teach real world road transport- or something else- sorry they are, teaching the ■■■■■■■■ called logistics - a fancy name that means nothing - then you are learning nothing about the industry at all, just how to sound smart in meetings- that have zero effect on productivity on the ground

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Did it.

Good luck … :unamused:

Rikki-UK:
I just put myself through the questionnaire- I wish I hadn’t

It has nothing to do with the industry and all about promoting a brand to the public, 99.9% of which do not commission road haulage - if it was serious look at how to promote a company within the industry and its customers it may have been a valid start to a promising career- unfortunately it fails on so many levels - sorry chap but if this is your degree attempt, then all it shows is you actually know nothing about the ground roots of “our” industry at all, maybe PR is more your thing

If your in year 4 of a degree course about road transport- you just wasted 4 years of your life
If your in year 4 of a degree course in logistics - you probably just got a job with one of the multinationals where anything you say or do wont make an iota of difference to the guys actually driving the trucks- unless its HSE ■■■■■■■■-either way with the attitude of your questionnaire the one thing you wont get- Is any real understanding of road haulage

Rikki - what happened to attacking the post rather than the poster? I think you’re being overly harsh here, he obviously wants people’s views on livery and if that’s his choice for dissertation then so be it.
Why not try to help people wanting to come into the industry rather than belittle them and drive them away?

J2Stroke:
Morning all,

Please could you spare a few minutes to answer my questionnaire for my dissertation. It is about the British Road Haulage Industry and Vehicle / Company Livery. It is all self-explanatory and gives you a chance to express your opinions about certain aspects of our great industry.

The link for the Questionnaire is: docs.google.com/forms/d/1yy_PPr … hUBAk/edit

Thank you very, very much if you do fill in the questionnaire, it is much appreciated and I will be grateful for a long time!

Regards,

James Ostick

Transport and Logistics Management (Year 4)
University of Huddersfield

I quote it gives you a chance to express your opinions about our great industry well if you James read all the topics and posts on this forum in relation to employers also agencies and the working day in general alongside issues relating to wages and working conditions and maybe tried working on the front line you will come to a very much different conclusion.

As requested by the OP, I have completed the questionaire. I wish you all the very best in obtaining your degree and hope you manage to obtain the job you are looking for.

If one day you do reach the dizzy heights, spare a thought for the guys who drive these vehicles. It is, for most, a relentless job for which they get little thanks and although some spout utter bollox, never forget they are human.

Rikki - what happened to attacking the post rather than the poster? I think you’re being overly harsh here, he obviously wants people’s views on livery and if that’s his choice for dissertation then so be it.

I don’t think I am being overly harsh- or attacking the person individually

the chap is in year the 4th year of a degree course about “our” industry - is it only me that finds it worrying that after 4 years studying “our industry” the one thing they think is important is public brand awareness- you can do brand awareness dissertatiions on coffee beans or your favourite drinks, and probably write almost word for word the same essay- and pass

that’s not showing a knowledge of our industry that’s showing PR skills. With just a little imagination he could produce something focused and relevant to the road haulage industry -= but I suspect his “Logistics” course bar a few words is virtually indentical to coffee industry course- and probably has similar relevance.

Now he knows how to market coffee beans (other commidities are available) and gets his logistics degree- he is ideal to sit in the office and tell you how to do your job :wink: :wink: :wink: :unamused:

done it
good luck with the project and the course
presumably you are exploring the relationship of livery, public opinion and the value of advertising and company promotion on vehicles. Stobs, while very successful use a rather “fussy” green paint job which could be mistaken for camouflage. Dyno-Rod has (had?) Day-glo painted vans which made them stand out. Most vehicles are white, reflecting the most light thereby enhancing visability but it does lend itself to merging with the fog. Black (e.g.Lynx ) while smartest is the least visible. Suggest you have a look at the Troxler Effect.

So… It’s a stobart marketing study masquerading as a RHA thing… A bit like debt collectors pretending to be “court officials”…

Can’t say I’d give 'em the steam from my ■■■■ personally…

The questions WE want to be asked involve things like “job security” of “Ts&Cs” or “Security of your vehicle when it’s parked at work” etc etc.
Whether or not “the firm” makes an extra million this tax year" or not has nothing to do with rank and file workers, and never has. It’s not as if a 50% increase in profits lends anything like a 50% pay rise to the ordinary folk who work there eh? :frowning:

Surely the point of a dissertation is merely to demonstrate the ability to research, collate, understand and present the information.
It isn’t necessary for the content to be especially relevant to the subject being studied as ,long as it fits in the general area of the subject.
Showing that the OP can research etc this area of transport may also show that should he be a TM in future he will be able to research, understand and deal with genuine drivers problems.

OH SNAP! You got pwned & served dog…

The contender for the logistics super don crown is down, will he come back with a crushing left hook to the scrapper from Teeside?

(Ignore me, I’m just bored)…

Surely the point of a dissertation is merely to demonstrate the ability to research, collate, understand and present the information.
It isn’t necessary for the content to be especially relevant to the subject being studied as ,long as it fits in the general area of the subject.
Showing that the OP can research etc this area of transport may also show that should he be a TM in future he will be able to research, understand and deal with genuine drivers problems.

You are totally correct- maybe its because I come from an era when getting a degree in a certain arena meant learning the intracacies of that area and concerntrating on it. After 4 years in university I would hope he has an understanding of road haulage outside of the office, but somehow I doubt it. - a dissertation once showed in depth knowledge of the subject and had to bring new ideas /different ways to solve issues, education these days seems more towards showing the ability to follow a script and ability to research, than to actually understand the subject matter- to follow your comment to its logical conclusion, if taking a degree is only about learning the ability to absorb information and knowledge and apply it in a logical way- then I would assume you would be happy for your doctor to actually have a fine arts degree as long as he has a few books to refer too :wink:

Personaly I think if your doing a degree in transport- and that’s whats going to be on your CV your dissertation should be relevant to 90% of that arena- the huge majority of the UK haulage business is made up of small companies - where brand awareness I guess sits below many other things- like being able to pay the fuel bill next week.

Agreed but would it be possible to give a dissertation on 90% of the industry?
I would imagine the sheer scope of the subject would make that impossible but by picking out one specific area to comment on it is possible.
I imagine that is what the OP has done.
The ref to a doctor and a fine arts degree is fairly pointless as in this case we are not talking about two completely different fields merely one subset of a wider field.

most of whats happened to the haulage industry is down to drivers for allowing it to happen yes we get bad bosses and college students who know nothing about the real world but drivers are their own worst enemy like unloading them selves at the likes of aldi and lidl henst they dont need as many staff more people without jobs and the must get there quick attitude who will give a damm if you get killed trying to get there quick not the boss thats for sure there will always be someone to fill your boots no one in haulage will ever stick together and no matter what anyone says it will not change it will only get worse to the general public we are just the scum of the earth and are only there to hold them up and to blame when someone gets killed trying to overtake us its the public we should be educating on how inportant we are ok rant over hope everone gets home safe and has a lovely christmas