British Road Haulage Questionnaire

and all in one breath!

sorry wasnt very good at school thats why i became a truck driver ha ha

No worries Steve :slight_smile:

Agreed but would it be possible to give a dissertation on 90% of the industry?

Probably not- but could do one in an area that’s more relevant to most of the industry,
I saw one a few years ago, where a guy studied an own account operator - looked at how they handled returns , looked at the vehicle utalisation and did his whole dissertation on how they could revamp the returns procedure- he included both costs and time savings- Its was a whole new way of working for the company from the warehouse, the drivers and the management, that if implemented would bring in a major saving and help to achieve some key KPI’s If I was going to employ a graduate and I if had a choice, between the brand awareness guy or the guy who understood the industry… guess who gets the job?

“Education” has been replaced by “training”. Something like a physics degree, or a degree in the classics, is education; a degree in Logistics or Golf Course Management is training. An education is a thing in its own right, done for the sake of learning but which may possibly serve as an indicator as to what sort of person the holder is to future potential employees. Training is very specific and narrowly focused and intended to equip the holder to do one thing only.
Our government is gradually replacing all education with training. This is a bad thing. I’m glad I did my education when I did.

James Ostick

Transport and Logistics Management (Year 4)
University of Huddersfield

Are you at Loughborough?

Not being funny mate- but if your the future of road haulage(or Logistics as those who have never done the job like to call it) then before you plan a dissertation on our industry please try to get the very simple title of the questionnaire right - it may be a simple misplaced K to you, but on a planning sheet that sort of minor error could cost money- a mistake a mere traffic planner may make but not whats expected from a future captain of our industry :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

RiKKi-UK Hudersfield to Loughborough may cost a lot more , maybe the young man will come back to bite you and tell you what he thinks what job you should take up.

Not like to take the PI55

You dont have to write pi55, you can write ■■■■, as Rikki has wrote a few choice words like ■■■■■■■■, that would normally get the writers censored, seems everythings gone ■■■■ up.
Anyway, i did the questionnaire, but put my own views of the industry in the comment boxes. I at first thought that it was going to be about our industry, how we perceive it, how it could be changed for the better, instead it seemed to be about how a livery could change the perception of trucks and its drivers, all well and good, but the important questions were missed out. I think that i would be more inclined to dismiss any future requests for participation about our industry, if this is the standard.
Yes the op certainly lacks imagination, and any information about what goes on beyond a nice paint job, and how a company can be perceived if a tv program was being shown. I notice the op hasnt been back to answer some of the comments, and maybe we could guide him in the right direction, as to what is needed in this industry.

Delving into the hazy, distant recollections of my own time at Uni, if you based a dissertation on such a series of questions as this, you wouldn’t have qualified for a place on the course, let alone reach year 4 !

coca cola kid:
James Ostick

Are you at Loughborough?

Not being funny mate- but if your the future of road haulage(or Logistics as those who have never done the job like to call it) then before you plan a dissertation on our industry please try to get the very simple title of the questionnaire right - it may be a simple misplaced K to you, but on a planning sheet that sort of minor error could cost money- a mistake a mere traffic planner may make but not whats expected from a future captain of our industry :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

RiKKi-UK Hudersfield to Loughborough may cost a lot more , maybe the young man will come back to bite you and tell you what he thinks what job you should take up.

Or perhaps some of us know that courses in some areas of expertise are set, run and adjudicated by one university- although you can actually physicaly study it at a number of different locations/universities around the country- bit like at school where your exams maybe set by Oxford university even though your school is in Yorkshire, so the question which the op would understand is he studying the Loughborough logistics course, or is it one that Huddersfield have created themselves?

Apologies for the confusion, I forgot that folks may not realise how the system actually works and I termed it very badly

You dont have to write pi55, you can write ■■■■, as Rikki has wrote a few choice words like ■■■■■■■■, that would normally get the writers censored, seems everythings gone ■■■■ up.

Not at all, type the word you want to write- if its allowed it will be published- if its not the auto censor will replace it with [zb] even us admins cannot get round it

Rikki-UK:

Not at all, type the word you want to write- if its allowed it will be published- if its not the auto censor will replace it with [zb] even us admins cannot get round it

What does ZB mean? :open_mouth:

Lusk:

Rikki-UK:

What does ZB mean? :open_mouth:

It means if you use a very naughty swear word it’ll be replaced with {zb} :laughing: :laughing:

on the vehicle and company livery it would help if you had the pictures,but i will not carry on with the survey as i do not see the relevance of knowing these companies,i think you need to sort it out properly

Rikki-UK:

coca cola kid:
James Ostick

Are you at Loughborough?

Or perhaps some of us know that courses in some areas of expertise are set, run and adjudicated by one university- although you can actually physicaly study it at a number of different locations/universities around the country- bit like at school where your exams maybe set by Oxford university even though your school is in Yorkshire, so the question which the op would understand is he studying the Loughborough logistics course, or is it one that Huddersfield have created themselves?

Apologies for the confusion, I forgot that folks may not realise how the system actually works and I termed it very badly

Are you at Loughborough? NO

He states quite clearly who & where he is
James Ostick

My point was that some folks don’t always read what is wrote, like on a delivery note when it gives you the billing address first ie: Loughborough & delivery address Huddersfield but because some folks only read parts of what is actually written would deliver it to Loughborough, I know a few who have done this.

I once asked a driver to take a VIP to a meeting at East Midlands airport then on to Bournemouth where he was to be guest speaker, whilst waiting at the first meeting the driver though it a good idea to check his route, taking East from East Midlands & Bourne from Bournemouth he took the guy to Eastbourne.

Neither said anything until they were on the outskirts of Eastbourne neither spoke again until after the conference, although getting him there a bit late he thanked him for an excellent journey & for missing all the bull ■■■■ that some folks talk before he did his bit.

Apologies for the confusion

No problem no confusion to me I just saw it has you hadn’t read it properly

coca cola kid:

Rikki-UK:

coca cola kid:
James Ostick

Are you at Loughborough?

Are you at Loughborough? NO

He states quite clearly who & where he is
James Ostick

My point was that some folks don’t always read what is wrote, like on a delivery note when it gives you the billing address first ie: Loughborough & delivery address Huddersfield but because some folks only read parts of what is actually written would deliver it to Loughborough, I know a few who have done this.

J2Stroke

Surely the delivery address should be Manchester?

:grimacing:

Thanks for the people who have replied, I’ve had over 80 respondents (from this website forum) despite the obvious errors, which is my fault entirely.

Having read the comments on the post I feel the need to reply to certain elements, I’m not going to direct anything at anyone, however will just clarify a few things and leave it at that. I am a final year student at Huddersfield Uni, who have their own “syllabus” which is widely recognized and highly praised throughout the Transport and Logistics Sector in the UK. It does tend to focus more on Logistics and Supply Chain Management, rather than road transport unfortunately, but since the degree is Transport and Logistics Management, I also have to cover aspects such as Passenger and Air Transport. I do have experience in the industry through family and working in the sector and I especially know how tough it is for the drivers. Crap working times, disrespect from car drivers, customers, as well as pressure from transport planning teams and other office staff. I’m not saying I’m an expert by any stretch of imagination, however I just wanted to express that I do know about the road haulage sector, rather than someone who “knows how to market coffee beans (other commodities are available) and gets his logistics degree- he is ideal to sit in the office and tell you how to do your job”

Finally to clarify about the confusion surrounding the dissertation. The questions are marketing based because it is being answered by people who are not directly involved in the industry, as well as those who are. However, the questions were open for interpretation, so you could of added your own personal experiences into the question to help give a broader perspective to the situation as every driver faces different scenarios. The overall aim of the project is to highlight that having the right marketing strategy for a smaller haulier, encourages them to grow and thus sustain more work, and going bump. “Visual marketing impacts upon Financial Performances from an Operational Perspective within the British Road Haulage industry" is the title of the project, which in its simpler format can be interpreted as does having a vehicle livery etc… have a positive impact on finances via jobs (contractual or point to point) The reason the public perceptions is being involved is because they could be a potential customer, and also it is important to understand what people think of the industry as it evolves over the years. This project is also the first of its kind as nothing similar has been published via trade magazines or articles, therefore is worth exploring, even if it comes down to an obvious conclusion.

Once again, would like to apologize for the confusion and mistakes surrounding the project, and the general miss-leading of the post. However, to end on a positive big thanks to everyone who has answered the questionnaire.

There was a bird on the news last night who had 2 kids & was carping on about being in temporary accommodation & crying about it, I had sympathy for her till she said she was doing a degree in philosophy, I mean WTF!

Apprenticeships are the best way not degrees unless you want to be something posh.

Stick the OP in to Stobarts for a year as a planner, degree in logistics indeed…

Silver_Surfer:
There was a bird on the news last night who had 2 kids & was carping on about being in temporary accommodation & crying about it, I had sympathy for her till she said she was doing a degree in philosophy, I mean WTF!

Apprenticeships are the best way not degrees unless you want to be something posh.

Stick the OP in to Stobarts for a year as a planner, degree in logistics indeed…

That is one of the main reasons that the job has gradually turned to crap over the years, because these are the type of people who are running it, ie.those that know everything about the theory of “Logistical Solutions” :unamused: , how long an A to B journey takes in a truck because… they have checked out the route on Google Maps :open_mouth: , those that know more than a driver with 20 to 30 yrs experience because… they have studied the DCPC themselves, and so it goes on. Then the next step down the food chain is the “Traffic Planner” who basically in real terms knows ■■■■ all about anything, except Kidology, as he blags it daily but gets by because the driver makes him look like he knows what he is doing because he picks up the pieces for him daily, but said TP is still on a better wage than what the driver is :smiling_imp: .

Completed - best of luck.