Britain's Oldest Drivers

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find out if there are any HGV/Lorry drivers who are still driving in their 80s for an ITV documentary we are making about the history of driving.

Is anyone aware of anyone still going strong?

Rosa

There was an article in one of last months trucking magazines about some guy in Wales who admittedly owns his own firm,but he’s still driving at turned 80.

I heard on here there is a guy in his late seventies still doing Maroc?

Harry…I think he may have turned 80 by now.
His name is Tony Bradfield. His nephew Will is a member of Trucknet so
will probably reply to this when he sees it.

RosaRDFTV:
Hi everyone,

I am trying to find out if there are any HGV/Lorry drivers who are still driving in their 80s for an ITV documentary we are making about the history of driving.

Rosa

Hi Rosa there is an owner driver in Southampton who’s name is Ian Lawson, I saw Ian a couple of months back and when I remarked is it not time to retire he said I am only 76 and I would not know what to do with my self so I keep on trucking. More remarkable than this , his truck a Volvo F12 which he bought new in 1979 is still running every day with him at the wheel with the original engine and gearbox. Well worth a look at him although not quite in your 80’s bracket but not by far, regards Buzzer.

bestbooties:
There was an article in one of last months trucking magazines about some guy in Wales who admittedly owns his own firm,but he’s still driving at turned 80.

Thanks for this Ian, he sounds great. Can you remember his name of what the company was called?

N.Wales firm was in CM last week"O J Jones" of Portmadog(If I’ve spelt it wrong the ole’ woman will lynch me she’s Welsh) :laughing:

Great, thanks so much everyone! This is all really helpful, I will get onto these leads and of course keep them coming!

I used to see an old lad at the Hovis bakery in Birmingham -
he did a few days a week on the agency, he was 84. :open_mouth:

axletramp:
I used to see an old lad at the Hovis bakery in Birmingham -
he did a few days a week on the agency, he was 84. :open_mouth:

Would you know what agency it was? How I might be able to find him? Thanks!

Rosa.
There is an 77 year old guy still driving a 44 tonne fuel tanker for Goff Petroleum in Wymondham, Norfolk.
He only drives in the winter season now and, this will be his last one. His ADR and CPC is due and he is not prepared to go though this.
He learned to drive his first lorry in the Army when he was 17 so, Philip has been driving lorries for 60 years!
He is a nice fella and is proud of his unblemished career.
It goes to show that if you are fit and well, there is no reason to stop driving trucks, even fuel tankers.
I’m sure he would be happy to talk to you about his long career.

What a great old boy

Fair play

Buzzer:

RosaRDFTV:
Hi everyone,

Rosa

Hi Rosa there is an owner driver in Southampton who’s name is Ian Lawson, I saw Ian a couple of months back and when I remarked is it not time to retire he said I am only 76 and I would not know what to do with my self so I keep on trucking. More remarkable than this , his truck a Volvo F12 which he bought new in 1979 is still running every day with him at the wheel with the original engine and gearbox. Well worth a look at him although not quite in your 80’s bracket but not by far, regards Buzzer.

RosaRDFTV:
Hi everyone,

Rosa

Rosa i am 76 i hung my key’s up 4 years ago.

splitshift:
N.Wales firm was in CM last week"O J Jones" of Portmadog(If I’ve spelt it wrong the ole’ woman will lynch me she’s Welsh) :laughing:

She will lynch you :laughing: Its Porthmadog.
Cheers Dave.

Jim Allman was still doing a bit with his Foden for Allmans Transport Services near Congleton when I last saw him and Clive last year. He is 80 and still loading steel on flats!

Bob

RosaRDFTV:
Hi everyone,

Rosa[/quote I Hung my keys up when i was 72

I really love this thread, thank you Rosa, at 74 I feel so young. :laughing:

Still rolling 80,000 kms/year but not with the heavies anymore, though my licence is still current.

One or two at Elddis in their 70s Im just a youngster at 68 but still do 2 days a week. Be lucky to find many in their 8os. In our trade we are lucky if we get to that age been to 3 funerals this yr all Drivers but just early 70s.

Well Im 82, I gave my HGV Licence up when I was 79, But I must say haulage is still in my blood, But I liked the old days better than what we have today, IMOO, Driving HGV,s these days with all the crap rules cant be good for the driver & I mean the real drivers who take an interest in what they do , I could go on forever with my veiws & oppinions , So I will stop now & go & have a Few Malts :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well Im 82, I gave my HGV Licence up when I was 79, But I must say haulage is still in my blood, But I liked the old days better than what we have today, IMOO, Driving HGV,s these days with all the crap rules cant be good for the driver & I mean the real drivers who take an interest in what they do , I could go on forever with my veiws & oppinions , So I will stop now & go & have a Few Malts :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

Hi larry,
Well said !!! could not have put it better myself.
If you listen quietly at night in a truck stop, you can hear them calling for thier mum’s. they are far to young to be driving.