Oldest drivers in the country

i’m 80 years old in February and pulling a low loader round the country most days, any one know of any body older on the road.
Flat Nose George Coombes.

Well George,what a outstanding feat of workman ship .if you are fit and well enough crack on…there are thousands of us ex drivers would love to be able to just push one up the road,but the tablets ,and the old blood pressure will not let us do it… thanks to some wizard sitting in a cupboard in swansea knocking licences out stamping not fit enough…and you have proved them all wrong…or is it the carrots,beer, ■■■■,fatty bacon,chips meat pies ,eating on the go,that has kept you going…, whatever it is if you could bottle it up you would be worth a fortune best rgds deckboypeegy…

george coombes:
i’m 80 years old in February and pulling a low loader round the country most days, any one know of any body older on the road.
Flat Nose George Coombes.

YES! My old mate, Tony Bradfield is, as far as I know, still doing UK to Morocco - ie Manchester to Fez and Casablanca at the ripe old age of 83. Last time I ran with him he was in his early 70s and astonishingly full of energy, wit, enthusiasm and liveliness. He was, and still is, an inspiration to us all!! Robert

I’m not that old, but after driving my K 1 through the forest for 5, 12 hours shifts I feel like it some times…

There’s a guy on for another logging company in our local area who’s in his late 70’s… He never seems to try hard or put much effort into anything, but he always seems to run rings round the younger drivers…

Jeff

well done mr coombes keep at it old timer RESPECT

iceman1:
well done mr coombes keep at it old timer RESPECT

Here-here! Enjoy the life on the road, Mr George Coombes. Bless all your journeys, mate. Robert :smiley:

A friend of mine was still working coming up to his eightieth birthday mainly I think because his wife spent the money quicker than he could earn it. He got back to the depot from a trip to Glasgow and was called into the office. He was told the firm had to finish him up because the insurance company would not cover him any more.
Phil.

I was a second man on a Mk5 AEC low loader for Ben Wyatt when I was 20 Yrs old and remember bird-caging motor graders with railway sleepers.
Bloody hard work. I salute you George you must be some kind of man. Jim.

.Nice one George, keep going… :smiley: :smiley:

Saw him a couple of days ago at Swanwick, near Southampton driving the F12 he bought new in 1979. I was driving in the other direction with four horses waving frantically at him, I suspect the penny dropped as to who I was when a little further up the road, of course I am referring to none other than Mr Ian Lawson who I think is in his mid seventies and has no plans of retirement just yet and I believe he does his own maintenance as well, the truck still looks good as well. Keep on trucking mate, cheers Buzzer.

i have four ex work mates still at it. ones 74 ones 73 ones 67 and one is 66 i think… now here,s the interesting bit
they all worked for the same chap before they was 21…and he’s still working himself…god its a good job everyone
didn’t start with him. the UK would be full of old lorry drivers still working. this chap had 5 new lorries before he was 21.
he had drivers to drive them…i think he may have had the first ford D1000 on a C reg. not telling you who it is.

Some of us will know! :laughing:

Ashmans Transport from the Black Country used to load foundry stone from Ballidon quarry daily and most of their drivers seemed pretty ancient, and at least one had driven for them for 40+ years so he was no spring chicken! Jack Pugh from Wirksworth (now Deceased) must have been knocking on a bit when he finally called it a day, after he ‘officially retired’ he was still trucking and was taken ill at the wheel on the A515 at Draycott in the Clay but initially refused assistance from one of our drivers as “he had to get the load delivered”. Turned out that he had (I believe) a ruptured Appendix and was lucky to survive it. I remember many drivers carrying on into their seventies, if you can pass the medical etc then why not?

Pete.

It was never a ‘job’, although some were sucked into it like that - for me, like many others, it was perhaps inevitable, my Dad had a removals/transport company.

I think it may be a disease!

John.

John West:
It was never a ‘job’, although some were sucked into it like that - for me, like many others, it was perhaps inevitable, my Dad had a removals/transport company.

I think it may be a disease!

John.

Not only that - it’s a transmittable disease! I know that because I once met a KFOR driver on a Greek ferry who told me that he became a long-haul driver after reading my Long Distance Diaries in TRUCK mag! robert :open_mouth:

Dan Punchard:

Hiya Dan…Wals about 3 years older than retirement isn’t he. and Black Bob,s 5 years older than Wal.
John

Well done George,I should like to think you are an inspiration to other,younger drivers and drivers to be,take care!

David

true grit George well done keep plodding