Bright and shiny wheels

I’m not going to mention a brand name here. ( Just in case they get funny.)

Feb 2008 i purchased a set of alloy wheels from a reputable company. Wheels that apparently did not need polishing. At Tfest last year, i went to their stand and told them i weren’t happy. The gentleman came over and inspected them. Admitted one was of poor health but the others apparently i hadn’t CLEANED them properly or POLISHED them■■? I was not impressed. Well another winter of poor weather and salt and they really are appalling.

Is it just me■■?

Give us pictures of them Rob?

No mate, it’s not just you

i have them same make and type of wheels on my truck as you have on yours, you are right, they are pants :confused:

i have got super singles on the front and they are very badly pitted and the brake dust just sticks to them, although, apparently, the manufacturer has now stated that we can use their own brand alloy wheel cleaning acid on the wheels, even though it clearly states on the packaging that the acid is not for use on that type of wheel :open_mouth:

i have found that giving it a good going over with the acid and the brush that is supplied with the 4 piece wheel cleaning kit, they start to come up again

not very good is it really, when they advertise that you don’t need to use chemicals or metal polishes on them, just hot soapy water :confused:

Yes Spanky, very poor. Feeling robbed :imp: If i get chance Mike i’ll try and get a decent shot. Not sure how it will come thru in a photo.

I’ve got Alcoa Durabrites on that Pete I drive, they’re 4yrs old & come up gleaming with a quick wash, even a wet road gets all the grime off of them, I get plenty of salt & crap over them & think they’re brilliant, we’ve got 20 odd trucks with them & all our new trailers & they’re all the same as far as I know, some of the washes we go to use ‘brightener’ it turns the polished alloys white, but leaves mine really shiny, maybe you two got some from a bad batch?

if Mr Vain got some from a bad batch, i must have them too :cry:

and i know of a lot of other people that must have them from the same batch :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

MR VAIN:
apparently i hadn’t CLEANED them properly or POLISHED them■■?

I thought your reputation would have proceeded you rob, i thought you where born with a tin of polish and a cloth in your hand :laughing:

Can you get them replaced under warranty Rob? A well known truck where i work has same wheels and the finish on them is horendous, patchy, shady etc, thats why i prefer my polished wheels, there only as good as the effort you put into them…

I can only speak from experience, ours are all ok, I agree with Tony530, they are not as shiny as a set of polished ones, depending how much polish they get of course, I recently rotated my drive wheels & while they were off I washed the inside wheels, I let the chemical soak in (we use a patio cleaner that is an orange powder which turns green when it’s wet :open_mouth: ) & blasted them off with the steam cleaner, I couldn’t tell the difference between any of them when I’d finished, I don’t know if they use a different method over here, but if the two Rob’s & others are experiencing the same then there’s a problem somewhere, I think I’d be complaining about it, they’re obviously not doing what it says on the tin :frowning:

So if you polish them do they come up alright :question: :question: :question: Or are they generaly coroding. :open_mouth:

Im not sure, i think these type of wheels have a sort of laquer coating to protect the bright finish meaning you never need to polish them, only wash them. But, obviously the salt (or whatever other chemicals are in the mix commonly called grit) has eaten through the coating or tarnished the coating.

Can you strip the coating from the wheels and be left with bare alloys that require polishing?

Would polishing them ruin the coating?

Well if im right all you would be doing is polishing the already dis coloured coating and not the alloy. But iv never had alloy wheels and not had a close look at this type so im sort of guessing thats how it is.

MR VAIN:

you have bad service from a company and they have accepted responsibility for crap service but didnt offer a suitable alternative… name and shame for me.

we had it with truckinsmart

and then they came on to explain themselves.

jessicas dad:

MR VAIN:

you have bad service from a company and they have accepted responsibility for crap service but didnt offer a suitable alternative… name and shame for me.

we had it with truckinsmart

and then they came on to explain themselves.

yes, and i got a set of table mats as a gesture of goodwill :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

which, so far, i might add, have had no quality issues with them :smiley:

same as 2 super singles on front of my truck must be from same batch.crap. :

Same as mine too.

Im now looking into some that a certain light bar guy sells from Derbyshire. Just waitin for Darren to get back to me. I have a mate who has had a set of them fitted to his new truck about a year ago now and they are sound. To be honest, when you look at them they look exactly the same as the make in question but with a much better finish.

If you go onto Darrens website then they have them on there in the accessory section.

There is a new generation of wheels now with XBR technology :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :arrow_right: images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur … l%26sa%3DG

“And, because Alcoa Dura-Bright® is a surface treatment not a coating, it won’t chip, crack,
peel or corrode. And never needs polishing. No other manufacturer can offer you that.”

Quote lifted from the above web site.

MR VAIN:
“And, because Alcoa Dura-Bright® is a surface treatment not a coating, it won’t chip, crack,
peel or corrode. And never needs polishing. No other manufacturer can offer you that.”

Quote lifted from the above web site.

Well if that’s what it says on the box then you can expect it to be sorted, if not Trading Standards or the advertising watchdog will kick their arse for you :wink: