bridge jumper

did anyone else get stuck on the m6 at preston today, what a nightmare 4+ hours from one end to other because some numpty wanted to jump
from the bridge at longridge, i cant get home tonight, what a prick :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

This is what always made me laugh about the fathers for justice lot when they where up on a gantry near Heathrow on the M25 last year. How many fathers where unable to get home to see their kids that evening because of them?

Shoot the [zb]er. One warning shot, 1 minute, then kill shot if not making a move down. Scrape them into a body bag, get the road open and everyone is happy. The jumper, I think we are supposed to call them fallers these days :unamused: :unamused:, gets what they wanted as they are dead and people like www can get home as they want. Sorted.

i would gladly have ran him over :slight_smile:

Dogmatix:
This is what always made me laugh about the fathers for justice lot when they where up on a gantry near Heathrow on the M25 last year. How many fathers where unable to get home to see their kids that evening because of them?

Knowing how easy it is for parents to embarrass their kids I suspect the kids of these people who dress in lycra and climb things wouldn’t want to be anywhere near them or associated with them. I mean that’s far worse than dancing at a wedding. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

weewulliewinkie:
did anyone else get stuck on the m6 at preston today, what a nightmare 4+ hours from one end to other because some numpty wanted to jump
from the bridge at longridge, i cant get home tonight, what a prick :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Thats a bit harsh fella, did you once think that this person might be in such turmoil that the only way out is to jump? Thought not.
I fully understand your frustration at not getting home tonight, but at least you’ll be home tomorrow right?
This poor bugger, if they jumped wont, but his/her family will have to live with their actions for the rest of their lives.
Until your in such a position you are not really in a position to judge.
If you get a chance watch a program called “one under” it’s on 4OD, it was a program about tube drivers who have delt first hand with jumpers. It also interviewed a widow.
Desperation and depression leads you into roads unknown, And unless you knowingly have a reason to turn the page, you will inevitably turn to suicide, wether that be jumping, pills, cutting or even a gun.
Take a minute out and try to think about how the other person must feel.

TonyCBR:
Thats a bit harsh fella, did you once think that this person might be in such turmoil that the only way out is to jump? Thought not.
I fully understand your frustration at not getting home tonight, but at least you’ll be home tomorrow right?
This poor bugger, if they jumped wont, but his/her family will have to live with their actions for the rest of their lives.
If you get a chance watch a program called “one under” it’s on 4OD, it was a program about tube drivers who have delt first hand with jumpers. It also interviewed a widow.
Desperation and depression leads you into roads unknown, And unless you knowingly have a reason to turn the page, you will inevitably turn to suicide, wether that be jumping, pills, cutting or even a gun.

But this bloke didn’t jump, he just closed the road for four hours making a song and dance, putting others at risk, he will be at home tonight. www isn’t!

My friends stupid stepbrother tried to kill himself last week because his girlfriend was talking to someone else in a pub. He came home, took paracetamol and cut his wrists in front of his 6 year old son. Who do you think that affects?

fair comment tony, im sure peoples personal problems make them do strange things, my gripe wasnt really about not getting home i was late
anyway and just as i was making headway everything came to a grinding halt. but 4 hours surely they could have talked him down much sooner, who knows ?

Wheel Nut:
But this bloke didn’t jump, he just closed the road for four hours making a song and dance, putting others at risk, he will be at home tonight. www isn’t!

My friends stupid stepbrother tried to kill himself last week because his girlfriend was talking to someone else in a pub. He came home, took paracetamol and cut his wrists in front of his 6 year old son. Who do you think that affects?

That clearly sounds like an insecure kid, and he’s clearly affected the poor 6yo child, that is a different situation, because obviously drink is an issue, and the kid is very insecure.
Gotta feel sorry for the young child there.

weewulliewinkie:
fair comment tony, im sure peoples personal problems make them do strange things, my gripe wasnt really about not getting home i was late
anyway and just as i was making headway everything came to a grinding halt. but 4 hours surely they could have talked him down much sooner, who knows ?

Agreed 4 hours is excessive, and no doubt i’d have been ■■■■■■ off too mate. Glad the fella didnt jump, hopefully he will be too. I often wonder about the “whens” everytime i see someone standing at a bridge.
Its not the standers that worry me, as most just want that help, it’s the ones that walk along and just do it, they are the real cases.

TonyCBR:

Wheel Nut:

That clearly sounds like an insecure kid, and he’s clearly affected the poor 6yo child, that is a different situation, because obviously drink is an issue, and the kid is very insecure.

weewulliewinkie:

Agreed 4 hours is excessive, and no doubt i’d have been ■■■■■■ off too mate. Glad the fella didnt jump, hopefully he will be too. I often wonder about the “whens” everytime i see someone standing at a bridge.
Its not the standers that worry me, as most just want that help, it’s the ones that walk along and just do it, they are the real cases.

At the end of the day this ■■■■ held up traffic for four hours because he wanted some attention.The ones that really want to do it just get on with it long before the police can close the road / rail etc.

a couple of years ago or so there was a jumper here in the city centre of derby,he was a young lad about 16yrs old and he had managed to get to the top of the westfield shopping centre,anyway the police closed off the surrounding roads and tried to talk him down but with these kind of scenarios lots of people had gathered and quite a few people were shouting at him to jump,in the end he did jump and tragically he died,however because of the shouts of people telling him to jump this did not got down too well with a lot of people including the police so now if something likes this happens again the police can now arrest the people who shout these things,not sure what the charge is but i would be careful about what you may or may not say/shout the next time you come across a jumper… :neutral_face:

I liked the chinese way of dealing with that.

They put a big inflated pillow below, then just pushed the guy down.

He landed unhurt and then they could deal with him and his psychologic problems :wink:

Being on hourly pay, it wouldnae bother me. :stuck_out_tongue:

orys:
I liked the chinese way of dealing with that.

They put a big inflated pillow below, then just pushed the guy down.

He landed unhurt and then they could deal with him and his psychologic problems :wink:

That just sounds like great fun, I am going to do that in China for fun! Thats actually quite amazing for a country with such poor human rights, I would have thought they would be happy for a population cull.

TonyCBR:

Now who is jumping the gun? The insecure “kid” is 32 and obviously you know him, just because he was in a pub, “drink is an issue” He doesn’t drink, never has done because of diabetes and his family have never been drinkers either.

The only bit I agree with is feeling sorry for the 6 year old.

Mark41.
I remember the Derby lad, a friends daughter knew him well and she was devastated, especially when it was being shown on you-tube or on mobile phones around her school

TonyCBR:

weewulliewinkie:

Maybe some of the more unsympathetic people on here would do well to watch the programme. And as for calling someone who was threatening to jump a “numpty”, just think if that was your son or daughter. :confused:

Only 4hrs late
A few years ago the M1 was shut 32-33 with a jumper, so everyone diverted onto the A1 unfortunately on the N/B A1 there was a serious fatal accident just short of the M18 the car driver was squashed between 2 trucks, they only recovered his ashes after the subsequent fire resulting in both the M1 & A1 being shut for around 7hrs. Even then I didn’t complain as several lives where ruined that day.
Death, carnage and disruption on the roads are everyday hazards we face & have to accept as part of the job

peirre:
Only 4hrs late
A few years ago the M1 was shut 32-33 with a jumper, so everyone diverted onto the A1 unfortunately on the N/B A1 there was a serious fatal accident just short of the M18 the car driver was squashed between 2 trucks, they only recovered his ashes after the subsequent fire resulting in both the M1 & A1 being shut for around 7hrs. Even then I didn’t complain as several lives where ruined that day.
Death, carnage and disruption on the roads are everyday hazards we face & have to accept as part of the job

:open_mouth: Certainly makes you think doesn’t it?

Mark41.
I remember the Derby lad, a friends daughter knew him well and she was devastated, especially when it was being shown on you-tube or on mobile phones around her school

yeah my youngest daughter was going out with his best friend at the time so it really affected them

peirre:
Only 4hrs late

Cause and effect innit? IF my Aunty had gonads she’d be my Uncle! You could quite literally drive yourself insane f you wasted time over “what ifs”.
All we can do is play the cards we’re dealt.

There ya go, philosophy corner over.