bridge height

this may sound silly but if a bridge is 15,9 am i right in thinking you can go under with a 15,9 trailer legally?

i would say yes. they usually allow a couple of inches more than what it says.
however, in saying that. sometimes the tarmac lads raise the ground quite often.
so take it easy, and don’t run over any pebbles.

You can legally go under with a 16’ 9" trailer. The legal hassles only start once you hit the bridge. But, if the question was serious then yes you could go under with that trailer. The sign displays the maximum height allowed. A bit like travelling at 30mph is legal in a 30 limit. Remember, bridges are a limit, not a target! :smiley: :smiley:

cheers lads me dad hit a 15 9 yesterday with a 15 9 trl. went under no problem going in but after tipping a load of empty pallets hit it with the back of trailer on way out. rolled the truck as it was at an angle to the road and smashed into stone bride support and got bashed up pretty good. all i can think is that the trailer didnt level its self after being tipped■■? was a side tip with a fork lift so not been on a loading dock and suspension messed with. i dont no :cry:

Without saying where, I do work for a company that does just that.

The bridge nearby says 15’9" and so do their trailers, and there haven’t been any problems so far either out loaded, or back empty.

Ken.

yep its astrange one just sitting here trying to figure it out. not being funny but hes been on the wagons for 38 yrs and dosent just drive into bridges willy nilly. suppose it will all come out in the wash.

Sounds funny but it might be the fifth wheel was lower than what the trailer height on the headboard was based on if it was the back of the trailer that hit.

Something doesn’t sound right as there ought to be enough in it margin of error wise for the difference between loaded and unladen.

Got a google maps image of the bridge? And wasn’t an arched bridge where the 15.9 only applied to part was it?

google map derby road ambergate to see the bridge im not very good at this sort of thing. wagon hit the steel bridge not the arched one straight after. theres a picture of the lorry aswell if you scroll down the first page on google.

Something is amiss since the trailer height is measured with no weight in the back and suspension full up isn’t it? other then what somone else said and the 5th wheel height is off

archie79:
google map derby road ambergate to see the bridge im not very good at this sort of thing. wagon hit the steel bridge not the arched one straight after. theres a picture of the lorry aswell if you scroll down the first page on google.

ripleyandheanornews.co.uk/ne … -1-4812403 ?

Made a proper job of that!

Bugger, hope he’s ok and makes a speedy recovery.

Hope your old fella is ok :wink:

the maoster:
You can legally go under with a 16’ 9" trailer.

Really. :confused: :confused: :confused:

thanks. broke his coxics got a lot of cuts and some mega bruisers shook him up alot too.

truckertang:

the maoster:
You can legally go under with a 16’ 9" trailer.

Really. :confused: :confused: :confused:

You can go under higher if it’s a red triangle but not a circle which prohibits above the indicated height.

Why would you go under if the bridge is lower than your trailer??

All the reasons and excuses in the world mean ■■■■ all if you hit the bridge… :wink:

Truckulent:
Why would you go under if the bridge is lower than your trailer??

All the reasons and excuses in the world mean [zb] all if you hit the bridge… :wink:

You wouldn’t but there are plenty of bridges marked significantly lower than they actually are, I suspect nimbyism.

Hope the driver recovers quickly. Anyone else clock the news report describing the lorry as a juggernaught?

Just looked at the picture ,
get your dad to put a euro lotto ticket on !!!
thats a hell of a mess glad hes ok and only metal bent