Bridge bash to55ers!

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-de … e-20937659
how can you not know the height of YOUR own vehicle!

sign displays 15’9. but is about 15 ft before the bridge…no sign on bridge and we know what that means…angle of bridge is no excuse for no sign. unlucky drive, hopefully not badly injured.

elcamino:
Low bridge in Ambergate hit five times in six months - BBC News

he who is without sin, an all

Biggest problem with this bridge is that the arch is actually on an s bend. Cannot understand why the driver of the latest one was down there though, them things are usually about 16ft .

dowahdiddyman:
them things are usually about 16ft .

Correct. Looks like a Carpenters wagon from Glossop. We run identical trailers (foam blocks). The only way he has got there is to go along Via Gellia down to Cromford.

I’m slightly mystified as to how he has managed to approach the bridge from that direction at that height - coming via either the A610 or the A6 would mean passing under an even lower bridge to get there?

Ian58:

dowahdiddyman:
them things are usually about 16ft .

Correct. Looks like a Carpenters wagon from Glossop. We run identical trailers (foam blocks). The only way he has got there is to go along Via Gellia down to Cromford.

Yeah it is, thats what I mean, he couldnt get on the bridge on the 610 either so why was he down there in the first place.
He could have got there without needing to go under a lower bridge,as Ian said, Buxton A515 to Newhaven and then down to Cromford.

Who the f are the PDF :question: . . any members on here?

Suedehead:

Are you sure you replied on the right thread ?

Denis F:

Suedehead:

Have a look at the BBC link in the OP.

Denis F:

Suedehead:

In the news article in the op, a spokesman for the professional drivers federation(PDF) gave his opinions, wondered who they are,having never heard of them myself.

Suedehead:

The PDF is the “Professional Drivers Foundation”, a charitable organisation that specifically aims at helping drivers and drivers families in times of hardship such as after a road accident.

Suedehead:

Denis F:

Suedehead:

In the news article in the op, a spokesman for the professional drivers federation(PDF) gave his opinions, wondered who they are,having never heard of them myself.

He is a she

from link in the first post:
Pat Nicholson, trustee of the PDF, said: "It never ceases to amaze me how this keeps happening with bridges.

A lorry also hit the bridge on 31 December
"From what I can see there are plenty of warning signs.

“I don’t know whether they are inexperienced drivers and they think ‘I will try and have a go’.”

Mrs Nicholson, who has driven heavy goods vehicles for 30 years, added: "I hate to say it because I don’t like to criticise lorry drivers, I really don’t, but there is no excuse for it.

For the PDF Google will help.

Suedehead:

Denis F:

Suedehead:

her :laughing: :laughing:

she said

“I don’t know whether they are inexperienced drivers and they think ‘I will try and have a go’.”

so does she really think people who are having ago, will have ago without slowing down? :confused:

stevieboy308:

elcamino:
Low bridge in Ambergate hit five times in six months - BBC News

he who is without sin, an all

How about pulling the licence off them, to give other chancers something to think about

Hopefully they will be charged with dangerous driving, If not why not :question:

Have a think about the consequences apart from the fact it may have landed on someone it usually ends up in disruption & delays to thousands of people on the trains while the bridge is given the all clear.

The whole area is riddled with low bridges and tbf they could signpost better in advance luckily I have lived around there for the past 26 years so I know where not to go

so does she really think people who are having ago, will have ago without slowing down?

That was me Stevieboy :unamused:

It’s called trying very hard to give a quote to a reporter that doesn’t slate lorry drivers about a situation that was clearly the fault of the driver in question.

He wasn’t going slowly to see if he could make it, was he?
He didn’t check his Bridge Bashers Bible did he?

What defence would you have given?

The bridge must have dropped a bit with all the rain we’ve had? :unamused:

Pat

How does a truck come to fall over after hitting a bridge?

Whenever I’ve seen an over height truck go under something too low it’s managed to get a bit of the way in damaging the top. What happened here, did the truck hit the bridge, reverse out then fall over?

Dakota:

Whenever I’ve seen an over height truck go under something too low it’s managed to get a bit of the way in damaging the top. What happened here, did the truck hit the bridge, reverse out then fall over?

I reckon the truck see the bridge, see that it couldnt make it and fainted

Dakota:

That bridge is on a bend, and crosses the road at a shallow angle. You can see from the photo that the front part of the vehicle is actually under the bridge. The left front corner of the trailer hit the bridge, and due to the angle of the impact it pushed the top of the trailer to the right, resulting in the whole outfit toppling onto its side.