Bridge Bash on the 428 near Northampton today

This happened today Monday 9th May.

northamptonchron.co.uk/news/ … -1-7372698

I would be very surprised if it hasn’t done some serious damage to the bridge. That looks like a container on the back.

How many clues does the driver need? Bridge height sign, Low Bridge emblazoned all over the thing, over-height stickers on the box, the height indicator in the cab, and his own fricken eyes, and he still hits it!

Janos:
the height indicator in the cab,

But that’s set by the driver .

bit embarrasing if he’s from maritimes brackmills depot, once had a daf demo driver come into salvesens on lodge farm , hooked up to one of our trailers with shiny new demo 95 , took it up harlestone rd and flatpacked the 15’6" trailer on that bridge.

tonyj105:
bit embarrasing if he’s from maritimes brackmills depot, once had a daf demo driver come into salvesens on lodge farm , hooked up to one of our trailers with shiny new demo 95 , took it up harlestone rd and flatpacked the 15’6" trailer on that bridge.

It actually makes sense why it may have happened if he is from Brackmills. Its fairly recently that the height on that bridge was lowered. We used to be able to get under it before and used to go that way when the M1 was shut but after the change in bridge height we’ve only a few of our old trailers that can get under it.

A little bit faster and lube on the box it would have gone lol

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Could be curtains for maritime. Last years massive crash that sparked the in cab cameras, had left them almost uninsurable. The drivers got their annual Christmas letter, explaining why no bonus, and they were told one more massive claim and they were done for. Could be interesting as bridge strikes do tend to run into millions

Looks like 14’ 6" Container he is pulling!, usually 13’ 6"

Conor:

tonyj105:

It actually makes sense why it may have happened if he is from Brackmills. Its fairly recently that the height on that bridge was lowered. We used to be able to get under it before and used to go that way when the M1 was shut but after the change in bridge height we’ve only a few of our old trailers that can get under it.

There is a lot of relevance in what you say there Conor. The lorry would actually be returning to Brackmils ( the bridge bash happened Southbound around 11.00am. I’ve just checked if there were any incidents o the M1 which would have led the driver to choose the A428 route instead and lo and behold I find this incident at just before 09.00 am on the southbound M1.

northamptonchron.co.uk/news/ … -1-7372065

If this was the reason for the driver’s choice of route it just adds to that grand tally of incidents where one disaster leads to another!

Perhaps we should have duel language signs, like they do in Wales, except here it needs to be Polish, Rumanian, Bulgarian etc etc, they’d be 100 ft tall but Hey Ho, might stop the odd Flip Flop from Whacking a bridge.

(Assuming it was a Jonny Foreigner ?)

“NISKI MOST”

It’s 16:30 & the traffic report on radio is saying its re opened

Feet and inches has always been a serious issue among the no speke English brigade. What other excuse is there?
“He was British, but illiterate?” :unamused:

The DCPC is exposed as a “nothing” qualification. Just a piece of red tape designed to extract money from agency drivers, waste 35 hours of everyone’s time once every five years, and for what?

The modules might as well be:

(1) Using toilet paper correctly
(2) How to remove the keys from the ignition without snapping them off
(3) How to use the pedals with flip flops
(4) Repairing cut curtains
(5) How to get around being sent down the wrong road by using a satnav designed for a skoda rather than a truck

Conor:

tonyj105:

Uh? So it should have ‘LOWER BRIDGE’ rather than ‘LOW BRIDGE’? How did they lower the bridge…or if they re-signed it lower, does that make it lower? Did they raise the road? Tarmac looks like its been there a while.
Driver in pic is travelling at 14" 6, trying to get under a 14" bridge, which he has hit at some speed.
What I want to know is why? Is it apathy, stupidity, flip-floppity or f#ck-wittery? We need a roaming T’net CSI to investigate these incidents. :stuck_out_tongue:

This just keep happening, so either they have to clamp down hard on drivers that cause this to happen, and NO it has nothing to do with the company OR they have to design an easy way for a driver to measure the height of his vehicle. The in cab signs do help a bit, but all loads are different as are the trailers, so I would like to see a measuring device at all transport depots, and dock areas, or instead of having to carry a DCPC card…make all drivers carry in their vehicles a telescopic measure in Feet and Inches as well as Metres and Centimetres at least there would be no excuse.
I don’t know of any devices available but maybe others here can advise…if not I`m gonna invent one and become a millionaire overnight. :smiley:

truckyboy:
This just keep happening, so either they have to clamp down hard on drivers that cause this to happen, and NO it has nothing to do with the company OR they have to design an easy way for a driver to measure the height of his vehicle. The in cab signs do help a bit, but all loads are different as are the trailers, so I would like to see a measuring device at all transport depots, and dock areas, or instead of having to carry a DCPC card…make all drivers carry in their vehicles a telescopic measure in Feet and Inches as well as Metres and Centimetres at least there would be no excuse.
I don’t know of any devices available but maybe others here can advise…if not I`m gonna invent one and become a millionaire overnight. :smiley:

Here you go, £75 + VAT
About £999,925 cheaper than Maritimes Insurance Bill for today !

shop.fta.co.uk/p-905-height … -pole.aspx

martinviking:

truckyboy:
I would like to see a measuring device at all transport depots, and dock areas, or instead of having to carry a DCPC card…make all drivers carry in their vehicles a telescopic measure in Feet and Inches as well as Metres and Centimetres at least there would be no excuse.

Here you go, £75 + VAT
About £999,925 cheaper than Maritimes Insurance Bill for today !

shop.fta.co.uk/p-905-height … -pole.aspx

lasertech.com/Laser-Measure-Height.aspx

I think the problem might be more along the lines of they know the height of the wagon but then forget what they are driving on the basis of out of sight out of mind. :bulb:

leeman:
Looks like 14’ 6" Container he is pulling!, usually 13’ 6"

Usually 14’ 6" so this really is terrible.

OVLOV JAY:
Could be curtains for maritime. Last years massive crash that sparked the in cab cameras, had left them almost uninsurable. The drivers got their annual Christmas letter, explaining why no bonus, and they were told one more massive claim and they were done for. Could be interesting as bridge strikes do tend to run into millions

I got a driving bonus as did around 85% of others IIRC. Insurance is on special terms though so I’m interested too see how this one pans out, a sacking is most probably step 1. I guess self insurance is the way to go, I had my annual training day just this morning and I was told the changes had really made improvements, well until about half hour after we finished anyway.

Edit to add, telematics allegedly shows it hit at 47mph, followed immediately by a harsh acceleration episode so I’m assuming cruise control (no hesitation) or holding foot on accelerator due to impact, why not brake?

Now im no expert in these matters but on average I carry more high cubes than standards (13 6 ) so my in cab height indicator is 14 8. The true height when carrying a high cube give or take is a fraction under 14 6 so no matter what language I spoke if faced with a sign saying 14.0 I would be a little hesitent.

Hell I slow down for bridges even in me car.

No excuse for this muppetry, pure driver error.

DJC:
Edit to add, telematics allegedly shows it hit at 47mph, followed immediately by a harsh acceleration episode so I’m assuming cruise control (no hesitation) or holding foot on accelerator due to impact, why not brake?

Well that would make it even worse for the driver! There is a 40 mph limit either side of that bridge (from whichever direction you approach it).

Bridge strike at 47mph, bet that was a sore one!