Bridge Bash on the 428 near Northampton today

I have recently quit from the brackmills depot.
Totally the worst ever company I’ve had the displeasure to work for.
■■■■■■■ transport manager and foul mouthed transport clerks.
Doesn’t surprise me as no training or updates within the industry passed on to drivers.
Absolutely no where to be seen is any information on bridge heights.
They fancy themselves as a contender to stobart mantle…dream on Maritime
Ever thought of employing English drivers who understand the Uk

Janos:
How many clues does the driver need? Bridge height sign, Low Bridge emblazoned all over the thing, over-height stickers on the box, the height indicator in the cab, and his own fricken eyes, and he still hits it!

I can’t remember where I was, somewhere near Northampton I think. Anyway, as I was approaching some traffic lights a sign lit up saying “oversize vehicle, do not turn left”. Apparently there was a low bridge that way.
Is that the future?

somtam:
I have recently quit from the brackmills depot.
Totally the worst ever company I’ve had the displeasure to work for.
[zb] transport manager and foul mouthed transport clerks.
Doesn’t surprise me as no training or updates within the industry passed on to drivers.
Absolutely no where to be seen is any information on bridge heights.
They fancy themselves as a contender to stobart mantle…dream on Maritime
Ever thought of employing English drivers who understand the Uk

I don’t know about the situation with the clerks etc. at Brackmills depot, however not sure about the bit in bold. I’ve always known new drivers to get a truckers atlas provided for free on starting, if a drivers too dimwitted/lazy to use it then not exactly their fault. What do you want, to be spoon fed a list of any possible low bridges on your run sheet?

Captain Caveman 76:

Janos:
How many clues does the driver need? Bridge height sign, Low Bridge emblazoned all over the thing, over-height stickers on the box, the height indicator in the cab, and his own fricken eyes, and he still hits it!

I can’t remember where I was, somewhere near Northampton I think. Anyway, as I was approaching some traffic lights a sign lit up saying “oversize vehicle, do not turn left”. Apparently there was a low bridge that way.
Is that the future?

Aye Captain. It is just part of the general dumbing down of the job. Patronised at every turn…even at the traffic lights too. :angry:

Janos:

On Continent is max 4 Meter high Lorries but it still happens

bald bloke:

Janos:
the height indicator in the cab,

But that’s set by the driver .

The one Company had the Trailer with 15’9" sign posted but was 16’3"

Neva belief anyone

Immigrant:

bald bloke:

Janos:
the height indicator in the cab,

But that’s set by the driver .

The one Company had the Trailer with 15’9" sign posted but was 16’3"

Neva belief anyone

The heights posted on trailers are based on a certain fifth wheel height, so you have to be careful.

I measured it once and my trailer was 3 inches higher with the lift axle up on a Scania.

It’s always worth bearing in mind if you are travelling at speed as this vehicle was then you are more likely to be bouncing around making the trailer a bit higher at the critical moment.

(Plus of course if you do hit then any damage is going to be considerably worse.)

Not defending any one but from memory of the last time I had a box on in 2011. Box is marked as 9’ 6". Unit is marked as Fifth wheel height 1250mm. So for a start that makes life easy adding millimetres to feet and inches. But the box doesn’t sit on the fifth wheel, it sits on the skeletal trailer… which normally has no marking on it whatsoever about how thick/tall/deep/high the chassis is from top to bottom above the fifth wheel.

So while the clever ones in suits are playing with devising their aptitude tests perhaps they’d like to sort that one out. Or is the answer we should all know anyway that the trailer is .576 cubits high?

Invest in a tape measure, so you can measure front bolster height in metric and imperial. Do it with lift axle raised and lowered, so you are aware of difference. You will always know your exact travelling height.

Company reaps what was sown shocker in full colour in the Chronicle…‘’‘read all about it’’

Captain Caveman 76:

Janos:

I can’t remember where I was, somewhere near Northampton I think. Anyway, as I was approaching some traffic lights a sign lit up saying “oversize vehicle, do not turn left”.
“OVERSIZESKI VEHICLESKI, DO NOT TURN LEFTSKI”
Apparently there was a low bridge that way.
Is that the future?

Translated that for our Foreign (Eastern Block) Friends.

Oh my days

That ■■■■■ is truly stuck under there… just wondered how recovery got on getting that out… :open_mouth:
Never fails to amaze me all these bridge strikes when they can be easily avoided

Swampey2418:
Oh my days

That ■■■■■ is truly stuck under there… just wondered how recovery got on getting that out… :open_mouth:
Never fails to amaze me all these bridge strikes when they can be easily avoided

Pulled out by CMG with their Kenworth and Foden.

Janos:

I posted on Feb 25th this year about this bridge it was 14’-2" but signed up last year as 14’ft with a round sign I leave any further remarks ?

I reckon Truckyboy is on the money.

It’s about time that ALL depot’s have telescopic height sticks available, and that they INSIST that you use it before you leave the depot.

Bridge strike = Dole in my opinion.

Yep, every transporter driver worth his salt carries a company issued height stick and unless on regular load ferrying or ‘‘flat loaded’’ on unbridged roads uses it every single time, then plans a route accordingly, i’d have thought container drivers unless they have the same trailer all the time would do the same so they know exactly to the inch their own height.

Surely by now every bloody Scania mid lift equipped driver knows the tractor lifts its arse by 3" when the lifter is raised, it can’t be that difficult to work out the trailer is going to raise by at least that amount and possibly more at the leading edge if it’s sloping back to begin with mid lift down.

Lastly, why do companies employ people totally unsuited to the job, pound to a penny the bridge strike hasn’t been the first warning sign that the employee just isn’t cut out for lorry driving?

How does a bridge get lower? I know when the road is re surfaced it could be marginally different but you’d have to be cutting it fine in the first place for that to cause in issue, like going under in a trailer that’s only an inch lower than the bridge. In this case surely the bridge can’t be THAT much lower than it was? What did it used to be anyone who knows this bridge?

Like someone else has said, the cab indicator requires a driver to change it when he gets a trailer. It’s only as good as that being done correctly.

But please, someone enlighten me on this bridge getting lower thing?

I think the Clown is bang on.

" people totally unsuited to the job ". A bit of thought combined with a dash of intelligence, served up on a bed of pride accompanied by a scattering of manners is the recipe for a decent driver in my view.

If you cant allow an extra few inches, then don’t bother. ( Mrs B’s words have inspired that last sentence ).

Thats what she told me last night eager :wink: .. looking at the picture , that outfit looks like its cocking it`s leg up :laughing: :laughing:

image.jpg