Brian harris news?

Just read on another site that brian harris has passed away,just wondered if anyone could confirm it,very sad loss if its right,a true haulage man.

longpod:
Just read on another site that brian harris has passed away,just wondered if anyone could confirm it,very sad loss if its right,a true haulage man.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83752&p=1149023&hilit=brian+harris#p1148227

Will Shiers posted this a couple of days ago

sorry id missed it

That is very sad news :frowning: , a true classic British haulier, in what has become an increasingly bland/colourless/characterless industry, he was raised in the old traditional ways, where you got the job done at all costs :wink: . A smarter fleet you couldn’t find from Lands End to John O’Groats, if you haven’t read the book by John Corah “From Moorlands to Highlands” I highly recommend it, its a great read & its worth it just to see some of the best pics of the art of roping & sheeting you’ll ever see :slight_smile: R.I.P Brian Harris.

Spoke to the man a couple of times when I was in engineering.
We were doing a big job at Candy tiles in Bovey Tracy and had a load of equipment to be picked up in Stoke for delivery down there.
He gave me a price immediately and a time of collection which was on the ball.
I was told by more than one driver of his that he never kept books,but remembered everything in his head.

Was fortunate to do work with Brian during my last job , such a great man a tragic loss to the transport world . RIP BRIAN :frowning:

I only met Brian once we were on holiday near Bovey Tracy and on a Sunday morning I called in to get some Photos. The yard reminded me of McMurdos where the office was an 8by6 garden shed and Brians was much the same a couple of phones and no computers some of the drivers were getting ready to go up the road and were asking him to phone someone for a load the answer was Ah just ring him yournself you will know when you will be ready to load,I thought well how many places are still ran like that.His ERF’s were sadly missed the A74 was never the same after he shut down. RIP Brian you were a legend. Eddie.

Can remember their smart ERFs running up and down the M5 & M6, used to love the livery, and the classic writing on the trailers, Devon to Scotland. Read from " Moorlands to Highlands " from top to bottom about 4 times over, i even bought the paper back book when it came out, even tho’ it was the same story but with just a few more pictures.
Brian was one of the old school that we all used to look up to and think " yeah ! i’ll be driving one of those soon " all roped and sheeted to perfection too. There was always one parked overnight outside a tubes factory in Leicester every thursday night.
R.I.P Brian, you and your company are, and will, be sadly missed. But you left us with some great haulage nostalgia…

I remember his wagons loading at Caberboard factory at Cowie, in 80/90s, his drivers were real canny lads & their wagons allways looked smart, RIP, Brian, Regards L.S.Dunbar & Son Transport.

R.I.P mr harris :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

gaz

Didn’t know Brian Harris,but saw the ERF lorries and read good things about him RIP.

rip brain did haulage the right way tidy trucks good work and top drivers sadley missed

brian harris was an old school transport man,who will missed very much friends and colleagues.
the funeral is this saturday 14.04.12 in widecombe.
it was always great to have a chat with you in the rugglestone brian rip

has anybody got any photos or storys about them? theres not many photos of them apart from what was printed in the book.

longpod:
has anybody got any photos or storys about them? theres not many photos of them apart from what was printed in the book.

I was in the Carlisle Truck Inn one day ,when my pal Geoff Bell owned the establishment,and there was a “spoof” Wanted poster on the notice board with a picture of Brian in a cowboy hat !! Years later when I was in his traffic office in Devon,he had the same the poster on his office wall !! He really ran a great outfit that eventually was overwhelmed by the modern era of operation which,of course,Brian had no wish to be part of !!However,during the years when “general haulage” really meant just that, there was no better exponents of the craft than Harris & Miners/Brian Harris,there were some operators as good,but none better!!! Logistics and PLANNERS !! Brian would eat them for breakfast in his prime,he carried it all in his head,knew where every motor was and what they were doing 24/7.Cheers Bewick.

Well said Dennis, Im sure there are hundreds like you & myself go along with that, Regards Larry

up to brians last day in his office he had a pile of papers telling you what each of his lorries had earnt during there duration . brian used to sit on the a38 at chudleigh bank below exeter every dinnertime and watch the world go by. a character sadly missed and never to be replaced by todays jumped up traffic planners . :frowning: RIP BRIAN :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :cry:

music to my ears my good lady, you could not of put it better, Regards Larry.

The thing is a lot of us worked for people like Brian Harris although in a smaller way, most of the proper hauliers mucked in together without undercutting their neighbours, they all carried the job in their heads in my experience, and it worked. Although I think they put much more trust in their drivers.

RIP Brian Harris. A sad day for the old school

What a sad loss, one of the genuine road haulage characters in an increasingly bland transport scene. When I arranged the book launch at Bovey Tracey for “From Moorlands to Highlands” it was a day to remember with many former drivers present and the mutual respect and camarderie between Brian and his former drivers was a pleasure and joy to behold. Something that will never occur in any of the modern “logistics” companies. RIP Brian, a true ‘one off’'.