Brian harris news?

Went to Brian’s funeral today, I seem to go to too many these days, but this one, well what an experience. Widecombe in the Moor church is quite large for a small village, it is known as The Cathederal of the Moor, but with standing room only, packed in like sardines there were still many outside. One former haulier was caught outside in the rain, so slipped across to The Old Inn for a quick one, given the chance I am sure Brian would have joined him.
One local of more years than me said, “Widecombe church has never seen so many and will never do so again”. Several estimated 500 . He was carried in, shoulder high by 8 bearers, to that old Scottish air “Loch Lomond”…the one with the line “and I’ll be in Scotland before ye”. Brian in yellow flowers, outlined in red & green and a model of an old Albion beside a Scottish signpost. An exellent tribute from John Corah and he was carried out to local singer “Tony Beard’s” rendition of “Widecombe Fair”
Afterwards, there was a Hogroast at Brian’s favorite local, The Rugglestone, where everyone celebrated his life in a manner he would have approved of, which I am sure continued long after I had to leave.

What a man and what a tribute to him today has been.

A proper send off to a legend. RIP Brian.

Peter Coaker:
Went to Brian’s funeral today, I seem to go to too many these days, but this one, well what an experience. Widecombe in the Moor church is quite large for a small village, it is known as The Cathederal of the Moor, but with standing room only, packed in like sardines there were still many outside. One former haulier was caught outside in the rain, so slipped across to The Old Inn for a quick one, given the chance I am sure Brian would have joined him.
One local of more years than me said, “Widecombe church has never seen so many and will never do so again”. Several estimated 500 . He was carried in, shoulder high by 8 bearers, to that old Scottish air “Loch Lomond”…the one with the line “and I’ll be in Scotland before ye”. Brian in yellow flowers, outlined in red & green and a model of an old Albion beside a Scottish signpost. An exellent tribute from John Corah and he was carried out to local singer “Tony Beard’s” rendition of “Widecombe Fair”
Afterwards, there was a Hogroast at Brian’s favorite local, The Rugglestone, where everyone celebrated his life in a manner he would have approved of, which I am sure continued long after I had to leave.

What a man and what a tribute to him today has been.

so pleased brian had a good send off as he deserved it he was a great bloke and always enjoyable to talk to.
it came as a shock to me me last weekend when i was in the rugglestone talking to brians neighbour who told me the sad news,then richard the landlord elaborated a bit more as he knew when i went down to devon,i always went in the rugglestone and got chatting to brian.
rip brian

What a brilliant epitaph from Peter Croaker

Thanks for posting

Wheel Nut:

Thanks for posting

• 1 :wink:

gunnerheskey:

Wheel Nut:

Thanks for posting

• 1 :wink:

I did wonder if that was a name he goes under officially :stuck_out_tongue: and his weekend name is Peter Brown or something

For the record Wheelnut, Peter Coaker is the only name I have, (within my hearing anyway, bound to be others!) Although there would have been a previous generation of Dartmoor men, sadly now long gone, who would have referred to me as John’s boy, the same as those who would have referred to Brian as Jerry’s lad!.

There is a bit more I should add further to my last post about Brian.

His parents Jerry and Margaret had a pact. Whichever died first, the one that remained would install a clock in the tower of Widecombe church as a memorial. Well, roll on the years and the parish were discussing ways to celebrate The Queen’s jubilee this year. Someone had the idea of putting a clock onto the other three sides of the tower, so The Vicar went off to ask Brian his opinion. “Good idea” says Brian, I’ll pay.

Brian was carried through the churchyard as the clock struck 12.

Well now the clocks will be a memorial to all three of them and part of the collection at Brian’s funeral will be used to pay for the scaffolding on the tower to install the clocks.

Brian was a man held in the highest regard in the local community as well as the transport industry.

Remember, as John Corah said, “Brian was not a logistician, not a distribution expert, but a good old fashioned transport contracton”

Sadly i never met Brian but years ago i used to speak to him on the phone from time to time he was one of the last true Haulage men i will never forget his deep gravel voice RIP old boy

As a fitting Tribute to Brian For his funeral on Saturday on the way into Widdecombe was parked two Ex Brain Harris ERF’s Complete with Union Jacks Flying. Copyright Alistair Dawes.

IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1761.JPG

timmyticket:
As a fitting Tribute to Brian For his funeral on Saturday on the way into Widdecombe was parked two Ex Brain Harris ERF’s Complete with Union Jacks Flying. Copyright Alistair Dawes.

Thanks “timmyticket” for taking the time and trouble to post this tribute. I had hoped to attend Brian’s funeral myself but a severe dose of the lurgy made a 10 hour round trip from Lancashire a bit too much to contemplate.

gingerfold:

timmyticket:

Thanks “timmyticket” for taking the time and trouble to post this tribute. I had hoped to attend Brian’s funeral myself but a severe dose of the lurgy made a 10 hour round trip from Lancashire a bit too much to contemplate.

I have just received, as a wedding anniversary present,(thanks to an understanding wife), a copy of a newly published book;

HARRIS & MINERS - BRIAN HARRIS

A Photographic Tribute to the Famous Devon Fleet

John W Henderson

This is a very high quality book 0f 160 pages of mostly colour photos of lorries and memorabilia of the fleet of the late Brian Harris and his father the late Jerry Harris and a wonderful compliment to John Corah’s “From Moorlands to Highlands”. Highly recomended and thank you to John Henderson.

Peter Coaker