Brexit stuff in one place [MERGED]

^^
I note that Wales is to get £10 million from the Gov as part of the leveling up scheme (whatever that really is) that`ll easily compensate for the £400 million of EU funding they will lose…or maybe not?

whisperingsmith:
The UK government is telling councils to display EU flags across towns and cities in England as a condition for receiving high street Covid recovery cash.

Guidance issued to local authorities by the communities ministry this summer says the blue and yellow symbol of European unity is “required” to be displayed around “every piece of signage, pavement sticker, or temporary public realm adaption” funded under the scheme.

The requirement, which will see thousands of new EU flags posted on official buildings and in public places across the country, exists because the European Regional Development Fund has given money to the UK to help with the Covid-19 reopening.

The flag rule, imposed from Brussels but enforced from Whitehall, is embarrassing for ministers because they are keen to rid UK public buildings of EU flags, but do not want to turn down the Covid recovery cash.

Virtually every local authority in England is getting some of the cash, with the biggest recipient Leave-voting Birmingham, which has landed over £1 million in funding. [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

Liberal Democrat frontbencher Christine Jardine said: “This shows the absurd hypocrisy of this Conservative government. They have spent years denouncing EU projects and pulling the UK out of funding schemes like this, and now they have the gall to trumpet a fund made possible by exactly the sort of European cooperation they are turning their backs on.”

More Details available from most reputable news media. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

This recovery fund…where did the money come from?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Even more Brexit ■■■■■■■■.
The “oven ready” “easiest deal in history” “all ups with no downsides” is falling over again…
The UK is saying let’s just ignore everything we’ve agreed in NI and just pretend…what? W. T. actual F. is the new plan?
Muttering about cliff edges and allowing us time to prepare! It always was a bad idea IMHO but the incompetence displayed by the current clowns is staggering. That they promised an impossible future was awful but they are now divorced from everyday reality.

Ed
Whoops. Here is a link
inews.co.uk/news/politics/uk-as … ly-1120286

Franglais:
The “oven ready” “easiest deal in history” “all ups with no downsides” is falling over again…
The UK is saying let’s just ignore everything we’ve agreed in NI and just pretend…what? W. T. actual F. is the new plan?
Muttering about cliff edges and allowing us time to prepare! It always was a bad idea IMHO but the incompetence displayed by the current clowns is staggering. That they promised an impossible future was awful but they are now divorced from everyday reality.

Ed
Whoops. Here is a link

As a self proclaimed Brexit expert Franglais you should know that the oven ready deal only ever applied to the WA.

As for NI, lots of smoke and mirrors there. We should simply have gone for a border between North and South.

Monkey241:

Franglais:

Ed
Whoops. Here is a link

As a self proclaimed Brexit expert Franglais you should know that the oven ready deal only ever applied to the WA.

As for NI, lots of smoke and mirrors there. We should simply have gone for a border between North and South.

1. I’ve never claimed expertise in anything.
  2. How can any credible Withdrawal Agreement not include the NI issue?
  3. A hard border between NI and Eire has never been suggested as a solution by any credible party.
    So well done: 3 bits of nonsense in just 2 short sentences!

Franglais:

Monkey241:

Franglais:

Ed
Whoops. Here is a link

3. A hard border between NI and Eire has never been suggested as a solution by any credible party.

1…self proclamation dishy need to be explicit.

2…you appear to be confused over what the oven ready deal referred to.

3…politics and optics

As for credible parties etc… what does the NI Agreement say as regards Borders?

Throughout it has been presented that the Agreement precludes a hard border… and yet that isn’t the case, as you’d know if you’d ever read it.

Monkey241:
As for credible parties etc… what does the NI Agreement say as regards Borders?

Throughout it has been presented that the Agreement precludes a hard border… and yet that isn’t the case, as you’d know if you’d ever read it.

The Good Friday Agreement does preclude a hard border.
So which parties say it’s ok to break that agreement?
The UK Gov, Johnson, EU, Eire all say they will honour the GFA.

Monkey241:

Franglais:

Monkey241:

Franglais:

Ed
Whoops. Here is a link

3…politics and optics

1 Proclamations are always explicit, surely?
2. “Someone” may have well have been vague or duplicitous over what the oven ready deal was…and that fool still hasn’t figured it out!
3. ■■

Does it?

Having read it and having personal experience of the Province, perhaps you could quote which section precludes it?

I’ll link you to the document if you’d care to extract any specific quote

Franglais:

Monkey241:

Franglais:

Monkey241:

Franglais:

Ed
Whoops. Here is a link

3…politics and optics

2. “Someone” may have well have been vague or duplicitous over what the oven ready deal was…and that fool still hasn’t figured it out!
3. ■■

Vague or duplicitous over the oven ready deal?

Only if you’re unable to rationalise the fact.

Use your brain rather than emotion.

Oven ready deal only ever referred to the WA

You appear not to have understood the optics comment. A hard border is a controversial decision…because of optics.

The same optics that result in the ignorant believing GFA precludes a hard border.

What it does do is state thar security etc is a sovereign state matter

Monkey241:

Franglais:

Monkey241:

Franglais:

Monkey241:

Franglais:

Ed
Whoops. Here is a link

3…politics and optics

3. ■■

Vague or duplicitous over the oven ready deal?

Only if you’re unable to rationalise the fact.

Use your brain rather than emotion.

Oven ready deal only ever referred to the WA

You appear not to have understood the optics comment. A hard border is a controversial decision…because of optics.

The same optics that result in the ignorant believing GFA precludes a hard border.

What it does do is state thar security etc is a sovereign state matter

Johnson: "This parliament is just not going to vote Brexit through, there are too many people who are basically opposed to Brexit, who want to frustrate it,” he said.
“We have an oven ready deal, put it in the microwave as soon as we get back after the election on Friday 12th Dec and get it done.”
He explicitly mentions Brexit. He does not mention any withdrawal agreement.
Oct 31st as he explained why we weren’t out of the EU and he wasn’t dead in a ditch.

The GFA dies not explicitly mention “hard borders”. It does say:
"The British Government will make progress towards the objective of as early a return as possible to normal security arrangements in Northern Ireland, consistent with the level of threat … dealing with:

the reduction of the numbers and role of the Armed Forces deployed in Northern Ireland to levels compatible with a normal peaceful society;

the removal of security installations;

the removal of emergency powers in Northern Ireland; and

other measures appropriate to and compatible with a normal peaceful society.”

All parties seem to accept that this wording precludes a hard border.

Hmmm…the oven ready deal at a time May was struggling with the WA you mean?

As for comments on the GFA you’re flailing.

The removal of security installations?

Specifically Golf and Romeo towers, sweet FA to do with border infrastructure.

Monkey241:

I don’t care how many angels are dancing on this pinhead.
No credible parties are in favour of a hard border.

Monkey241:

Why mention May?
Johnson said what he said, as I quoted it.

Franglais:

Monkey241:

Why mention May?
Johnson said what he said, as I quoted it.

Why?

Context.
Boris was largely elected on the promise of getting the WA through

Franglais:

Monkey241:

I don’t care how many angels are dancing on this pinhead.
No credible parties are in favour of a hard border.

No credible parties?

If that’s the only viable solution that’s what will happen… and it still won’t violate the GFA.

Funny though… even Southern Ireland admitted a hard border wasn’t necessary when no deal looked likely

Monkey241:
Funny though… even Southern Ireland admitted a hard border wasn’t necessary when no deal looked likely

*Republic of :wink: