Brexit stuff in one place [MERGED]

Article in the New European reporting on calls to dump the NI Protocol, as signed by Johnson.
Not exactly one of the “usual suspects” being quoted though.
theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit … io-7995688

If you have a spare 2 minutes, listen to this.

■■■■■■■■ starts speaking

‘Crackers that Johnson was in charge’

youtube.com/watch?v=KhXa4duFOX8

Franglais:

discoman:

hkloss1:
The glorious Australian trade deal, all Brexiters have been waiting for

Boris Johnson defends Australia trade deal that will allow cheap foreign meat imports saying UK farmers can still ‘make the most’ of post-Brexit freedom amid furious Cabinet row over the impact on British producers

Trade Secretary Liz Truss wants to give Aussies tariff-free access within 10 years
She and supporters argue the move will lower food costs for UK consumers
But she is in a furious stand-off with Environment Secretary George Eustice
He says the move will undercut British farmers who have higher standards

dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … l#comments

Surprisingly Brexiters, in comments section are very unhappy.
Just to quote a few interesting comments getting a lot of green arrows:

“Now we see the the bending over of Johnson, as countries see his desperation to get any deal.”
“Not rubbish, look what Modi got for India - free movement of Indians for a snip”
“Brexit bonanza for Australian farmers - they must be in hysterics at the stupidity of the 52%. Uk farmers deserve no better for trusting the lying cheating PM - as do the fishermen and his ex.”
“There’s no downsides, only considerable upsides to Brexit. For Australian sheep farmers”
“After throwing the fishing industry, the finance industry, JIT manufacturing, and Northern Ireland peace under the Boris Bus for the sake of leaving the EU, I’m sure that farmers can trust the PM not to screw them over in his pursuit of the fabled sunlit uplands.”

Believe it or not, these, above quoted comments, are the some of the most upvoted comments under that article.

Aussie beef if not cheap, it’s 12$ a kg, and taste good, just like the wines over here… so, your saying I shouldn’t go to Costco here, and by cheese made in the uk■■? Grow up, NZ lamb was always on the tables in the uk before… British farmers pleas plead poverty but always have a Range Rover and top spec gear … most farms are owned by big organisations… move with the times… time the uk farmers were to work land rather than be funded by the EU to not grow goods.

Beef at 12$Aus per kilo is about £7.
Tesco from £13 kilo to £25kilo for a steak.
So Aus beef costs about half or less than UK prices.
New Zealand lamb is available in the UK and has been throughout our time in the EU.
Trade deals don’t stop the import and export of goods, they do set quotas, agree standards, and set tariffs.
Here’s a 2018 article.
sustainweb.org/news/apr18_t … mone_beef/
Australia uses growth hormones currently banned in the UK.
To remain competitive with unrestricted beef imports should our farmers use these? Should we rip out hedges to cut costs and increase productive acreage?
Should we change our farming practises?
And should we change our farming of poultry if we trade with the USA? They too have different rules than us on chicken meat.
Different rules on hygiene in slaughter houses, hormones, genetically modified feed, feeding of antibiotics to animals.
In trade deals countries want unfettered access to our food markets without changing their production rules.
I’m not saying all other countries have unsafe foods. . I do say we have different rules on production. Our rules suit us.
To stay competitive our farmers would need to change the way they work. We would need to adopt our rules to foreign standards. Standards we have no say and no vote on.
Of course we could simply keep our rules, import cheap meat from animals possibly raised to lower standards than we think is correct, and let our farmers go hang.
Bad for animals as a whole, bad for balance of payments, bad for food standards.
There is a place for trade agreememts between us and Aus, US, etc, but totally free trade isn’t so easy.

I was referring to minced beef, not steak. Steak here can vary from suppliers ie, coles, Woolworths , independent butcher…

I buy my meat from coles and it’s hormone free, the standards here are very strict… no MCD here in Australia or FIM from animals … facts are it if going to happen, so the UK need to adapt , and it is tough if the farmers do not like it … same for the haulage companies, adapt and be competitive or go under … as said before meat is only a small thing, it’s the other items such as mineral ore which is what the UK want … check out the ore where Weipa QLD , is literally the only place in the world to mine a particular iron ore used around the world in near every day items …

discoman:

Franglais:

discoman:

hkloss1:

Boris Johnson defends Australia trade deal that will allow cheap foreign meat imports saying UK farmers can still ‘make the most’ of post-Brexit freedom amid furious Cabinet row over the impact on British producers

Trade Secretary Liz Truss wants to give Aussies tariff-free access within 10 years

“Now we see the the bending over of Johnson, as countries see his desperation to get any deal.”
“Not rubbish, look what Modi got for India - free movement of Indians for a snip”
“Brexit bonanza for Australian farmers - they must be in hysterics at the stupidity of the 52%. Uk farmers deserve no better for trusting the lying cheating PM - as do the fishermen and his ex.”
“There’s no downsides, only considerable upsides to Brexit. For Australian sheep farmers”
“After throwing the fishing industry, the finance industry, JIT manufacturing, and Northern Ireland peace under the Boris Bus for the sake of leaving the EU, I’m sure that farmers can trust the PM not to screw them over in his pursuit of the fabled sunlit uplands.”

Believe it or not, these, above quoted comments, are the some of the most upvoted comments under that article.

Aussie beef if not cheap, it’s 12$ a kg, and taste good, just like the wines over here… so, your saying I shouldn’t go to Costco here, and by cheese made in the uk■■? Grow up, NZ lamb was always on the tables in the uk before… British farmers pleas plead poverty but always have a Range Rover and top spec gear … most farms are owned by big organisations… move with the times… time the uk farmers were to work land rather than be funded by the EU to not grow goods.

New Zealand lamb is available in the UK and has been throughout our time in the EU.
Trade deals don’t stop the import and export of goods, they do set quotas, agree standards, and set tariffs.
Here’s a 2018 article.
To remain competitive with unrestricted beef imports should our farmers use these? Should we rip out hedges to cut costs and increase productive acreage?
And should we change our farming of poultry if we trade with the USA? They too have different rules than us on chicken meat.
Different rules on hygiene in slaughter houses, hormones, genetically modified feed, feeding of antibiotics to animals.
In trade deals countries want unfettered access to our food markets without changing their production rules.
I’m not saying all other countries have unsafe foods. . I do say we have different rules on production. Our rules suit us.
To stay competitive our farmers would need to change the way they work. We would need to adopt our rules to foreign standards. Standards we have no say and no vote on.
Of course we could simply keep our rules, import cheap meat from animals possibly raised to lower standards than we think is correct, and let our farmers go hang.
Bad for animals as a whole, bad for balance of payments, bad for food standards.
There is a place for trade agreememts between us and Aus, US, etc, but totally free trade isn’t so easy.

I was referring to minced beef, not steak. Steak here can vary from suppliers ie, coles, Woolworths , independent butcher…

At least our beef here is 100% beef unlike tesco which was horse ? Donkey ? …

I buy my meat from coles and it’s hormone free, the standards here are very strict… no MCD here in Australia or FIM from animals … facts are it if going to happen, so the UK need to adapt , and it is tough if the farmers do not like it … same for the haulage companies, adapt and be competitive or go under … as said before meat is only a small thing, it’s the other items such as mineral ore which is what the UK want … check out the ore where Weipa QLD , is literally the only place in the world to mine a particular iron ore used around the world in near every day items …

discoman:

Franglais:

discoman:

hkloss1:

Here’s a 2018 article.

Whether or not you were referring to mince is irrelevant. The prices I quoted for roast and steak hold true, don’t they? Aus beef is cheaper than UK beef.
If this proposed FT deal will benefit the UK in iron ore imports, how? Tell us what the current tariffs are?
“Adapt or go under”? Including transport.
I’ll let others argue that with you.

Eating the quantity of meat that we do now is going to become unsupportable, we cannot go on growing acres and acres of cereal, beans, grass etc to feed animals to convert into food for humans.That means that farmers are going to have to adapt, but not in the way they want by expanding their agribusiness meat production by artificial breed development,so that Daisy becomes as fragile as a racehorse ultimately depending upon a use of antibiotics which threatens their effective use in humans. So medium term even it isn’t exactly going to be ‘Ripper Bruce’.

Have Brexiteers Forgotten Their Own Reasons for Leaving the EU?

One of the main reasons given for the UK leaving the EU was so that we could strike our own agreements with other countries. Now, a pro-brexit Conservative MP has asked when we will be able to strike agreements with individual EU members. It’s like they have forgotten their own brexit lies

youtube.com/watch?v=TvCavLKXktc

cav551:
Eating the quantity of meat that we do now is going to become unsupportable, we cannot go on growing acres and acres of cereal, beans, grass etc to feed animals to convert into food for humans.That means that farmers are going to have to adapt, but not in the way they want by expanding their agribusiness meat production by artificial breed development,so that Daisy becomes as fragile as a racehorse ultimately depending upon a use of antibiotics which threatens their effective use in humans. So medium term even it isn’t exactly going to be ‘Ripper Bruce’.

Lets agree that hormone and antibiotic use in meat production is an issue of concern? Also the over crowding of animals, be it pigs or cattle in concrete pens and sheds, or chickens? Genetically Modified Organisms, too? Do we think these things should be regulated, or left up to the market to decide? Is there a place for both to run alongside each other? . We have chosen as a country to set certain standards. No matter how many would be prepared to pay less for battery chicken, eggs or meat, or hormone/antibiotic beef, etc we dont allow it here. So, already we do not have a free market.
No matter how cheaply someone can produce food by using GMOs or crowding animals in pens, it is illegal here.
So, if we have free trade agreements with other countries what standards do they choose? Australia may not be a country of evil animal torturers, but they do have different rules about food production. So does the US. These are countries our free trade gov want us to sign deals with.
Now lets not go kidding ourselves: deals with these countries will depend on their farmers getting access to our markets. We will not be selling our whisky or LandRovers there tariff free unless they get something back. Aus beef at quarter the price of UK beef? What chance for our farmers? US chickens raised and slaughtered in conditions illegal here? How is that fair? . What do you want free trade and have our farmers go under? Or allow free competition by letting the US and Aus governments decide what welfare standards will prevail? We cant expect our farmers to run on an uneven playing field.
It really is a race for the bottom by the free traders. All about the money they can make in today`s trade, not about standards or the future.
Ed to link
independent.co.uk/news/uk/p … 51531.html
"No 10 has refused to guarantee that a ban on hormone-injected beef will remain in place in the trade deal with Australia, set to be sealed within weeks.
Boris Johnson’s spokesman insisted the UK will not “compromise on our animal welfare or food standards” – but declined, four times, to give an explicit commitment on the use of hormones.
Instead, he said only that food allowed in under future deals will “have to comply with our import requirements”, without setting out what they would be.
The words fell far short of the guarantee given, last year, by both Liz Truss, the trade secretary, and the environment secretary George Eustice – who are now locked in a fierce spat over the Australia deal.
In November, the pair wrote: “Chlorinated chicken and hormone-injected beef are already banned in the UK and we will not negotiate to remove that ban in a trade deal.”

Recommended
Australia trade deal would cause cruelty not tolerated in UK and betray the public, warns RSPCA

Arch Brexiteer Tim Martin wants more EU immigration
“Wetherspoons boss Tim Martin calls for more EU migration to help staff bars” amp.lbc.co.uk/news/wetherspoons … rs-brexit/

And a BBC piece about Australia and beef.
Looks at both sides, make our own minds up.
bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57268681

Franglais:
Arch Brexiteer Tim Martin wants more EU immigration
“Wetherspoons boss Tim Martin calls for more EU migration to help staff bars” amp.lbc.co.uk/news/wetherspoons … rs-brexit/

The country didn’t vote for Brexit to now be accepting more of the EU immigrants.
All these hospitality jobs should be kept for our own people and millions of Indian immigrants soon to be hitting these shores, once the all mighty free trade deal with India is being formalised.
We want more of our Commonwealth cousins from India, Pakistan and others from the Middle East to be coming here and settling down, as well as from Africa, but not from the EU, please.
Also wages in pubs have to be increased now, we are out of the EU , and that’s what the country fought for, higher wages for the lowest paid.
We can always increase beer and food prices in pubs to pay for higher staff wages, maybe this will help to stop the decline of the pub industry/culture in this country.
The country voted for it in 2016 after all.

Bloody foreigners, coming over here, taking menial low paid work that we natives don’t want. Keeping costs down in staffing the NHS and care homes. Paying taxes. Wanting housing so supporting rising house prices, making middle class Brits better off. Creating more demand for services and products, so increasing the nation’s wealth.
The country probably is better off because of them.
If we as drivers or other workers aren’t, then maybe it’s because of widening inequality?

Lack of schools or hospitals?
The UK population has not seen surprise upticks recently. Lack of provision is due to lack of investment.
Year after year, less tax for those who use private schools and hospitals, while those of us who actually create wealth get the mucky end of the stick.

Whoever was being interviewed before the last general elction was saying they wouldn’t trust BoJo with buying a used car from him, and they still voted for him.
Everyone knew he was a liar, and his father was all over the news outlets convincing everybody what a good prime minister BoJo is going to be if he is voted into the job.
Does anyone remember any other prime minister’s father talking his sons prospects up on national radio?
And mugs still voted for him.

“We are going to have 15,000 checks per week of goods coming from Great Britain to Northern Ireland”

#Marr fails to remind viewers Boris Johnson sold his Brexit deal to the public & Parliament on the PROMISE there would be NO CHECKS on goods coming from Great Britain to Northern Ireland! Our media has become a shameful national embarrassment

youtube.com/watch?v=cYZXwlpTGVo

Anyone from the Brexit camp fed up of waiting for the expected post Brexit pay rise, and thinking of changing a career?
There is an industry looking for extra staff, since most of the cheap EE workers have left, now there are a lot positions becoming available in strategicaly important sector for the British economy.
If you voted for Brexit, you should feel obliged to help out.

Your Brexit governmet is planning not to raise your low wages, but import more of the cheap workers.
It’s not what you were promised, is it?

As the UK economy begins the long road to recovery, many businesses are wondering: where have all the workers gone?

Covid has seen hundreds of thousands of employees lose or leave their jobs, and in many cases leave the country altogether. From farms to factories and hospitality to haulage, many industries are warning they won’t be able to bounce back unless Brexit rules on workers are relaxed.

youtube.com/watch?v=YXbiDpgtmk4

^^ you not been reading the posts here about pay rates going north? Or have you auto selected that out?

Rejected the first offer.
Second offer,accepted…and back dated.

the maoster:
^^ you not been reading the posts here about pay rates going north? Or have you auto selected that out?

If pay rates for drivers increase, without price rises in an inflationary spiral, I’ll be happy.
If pay increases in all industries, and we still sell our goods, I’ll be happy, and very surprised.
My fingers are crossed that this whole thing does work out, but the signs I’ve personally seen don’t look good for the long term.
Personal experience doesn’t always equate to the bigger picture of course, so I haven’t dwelt much on it but I’ll put a post up later if anyone is interested.

Franglais:

the maoster:

If pay rates for drivers increase, without price rises in an inflationary spiral, I’ll be happy.
If pay increases in all industries, and we still sell our goods, I’ll be happy, and very surprised.
My fingers are crossed that this whole thing does work out, but the signs I’ve personally seen don’t look good for the long term.
Personal experience doesn’t always equate to the bigger picture of course, so I haven’t dwelt much on it but I’ll put a post up later if anyone is interested.

Your pay rise is my price rise. Inflation is already heading North and returns on my investments are either stagnant or going down.

Santa:

Franglais:

the maoster:

Your pay rise is my price rise. Inflation is already heading North and returns on my investments are either stagnant or going down.

Its strange when the Bosses award themselves above inflation pay rises nobody worries about inflation. The past 10 years has seen a widening of the gap between rich and poor and now we have a chance to slighty narrow that gap we are getting worried■■?
I’ll never understand the working class mentality of worrying about things not in our control.

msgyorkie:

Santa:

Franglais:

the maoster:

I’ll never understand the working class mentality of worrying about things not in our control.

I understand it fully. Its normally the working class who carry the biggest part of the pain afterwards