Brexit & Speed Limits

The breaking news is; an exit from Europe will be the end of this daft metric nonsense, the UK will finally be able to embrace imperial measurements, the KM will be no more and thankfully the “Mile” will be king once again. Speed limiters will no longer be set at this nonsensical, non British 56mph (which clearly is based upon some obscure euro fudge of 90kmh) The proposal is a very clever one indeed. All trucks operating on British Roads will in future have their limiters set at a very imperial 50mph. Why is that clever I hear you ask.
1/ outwith built-up-areas trucks will no longer be able to speed so a big reduction in police enforcement costs
2/ In road works trucks will limit other vehicles to the 50 limit thus making the roads safer for all.
3/ Vastly reduced fuel consumption and substantially less emissions.
4/ An annual saving of 12m tonnes of CO2 helping the UK meet global environmental targets.
5/ More work for UK hauliers as euro 90kmh trucks will not be allowed in, but we can still operate on the continent.

There appears to be only one exception; Nicola Sturgeon has negotiated that under independence, Scottish trucks will be able to keep the 56mph limiter when driving through England to trade with the rest of the EU. Laws will be passed to make it illegal for English trucks to impede Scottish trucks.

Full gov report here LINK

And happy April 1st to you too

Shame it don’t count. Not posted on the 1st :unamused:

Bluey Circles:
The breaking news is; an exit from Europe will be the end of this daft metric nonsense, the UK will finally be able to embrace imperial measurements, the KM will be no more and thankfully the “Mile” will be king once again. Speed limiters will no longer be set at this nonsensical, non British 56mph (which clearly is based upon some obscure euro fudge of 90kmh) The proposal is a very clever one indeed. All trucks operating on British Roads will in future have their limiters set at a very imperial 50mph. Why is that clever I hear you ask.
1/ outwith built-up-areas trucks will no longer be able to speed so a big reduction in police enforcement costs
2/ In road works trucks will limit other vehicles to the 50 limit thus making the roads safer for all.
3/ Vastly reduced fuel consumption and substantially less emissions.
4/ An annual saving of 12m tonnes of CO2 helping the UK meet global environmental targets.
5/ More work for UK hauliers as euro 90kmh trucks will not be allowed in, but we can still operate on the continent.

There appears to be only one exception; Nicola Sturgeon has negotiated that under independence, Scottish trucks will be able to keep the 56mph limiter when driving through England to trade with the rest of the EU. Laws will be passed to make it illegal for English trucks to impede Scottish trucks.

23.06.2016 British people make decision -stay or go out.If go out who is said who will be scrapped all present rules and start work 30 years old rules.If Uk go out that this happened just after 2 years but not 24.06.2016.In this time Uk parlament and another departament must maked thousand new rules,which will be better for present but may be much more worse.Time show,but i don t think who will be brilliant life and big income for British people if you decide leaved.Just please not i not against if you want vote for exit from Eu.It is you choice.

Sounds like an ideal candidate for the “Most ridiculous thing you have heard?” thread

myvideo.de/themen/heftigmedi … ected=true (is in German)

nick2008:
Shame it don’t count. Not posted on the 1st :unamused:

I believe it was.

Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:39 am

It was indeed posted on the first, but that may well just be a coincidence.

Why would an Independent UK free from the European nonsense continue with a 90kmh limit ? 56.25mph will become entirely ridiculous! Environmental and safety concerns will ensure 60mph will be out of the question, so all limiters will be reduced to a very imperial 50mph. It makes entire sense at many levels.

Bluey Circles:
It was indeed posted on the first, but that may well just be a coincidence.

Why would an Independent UK free from the European nonsense continue with a 90kmh limit ? 56.25mph will become entirely ridiculous! Environmental and safety concerns will ensure 60mph will be out of the question, so all limiters will be reduced to a very imperial 50mph. It makes entire sense at many levels.

If it’s environmental and safety might as well make it 40 mph max and of course no overtaking for trucks and 15 hours minimum daily rest.That’ll fix it.While as it’s all about free markets we’re going to abolish cabotage restrictions too whether we stay in or leave. :unamused: :laughing:

Another non issue stupid thread. What is the big fuzz between miles and km, some sense of national pride being hurt.
50mph is to low of a speed anyway, driver will fall to sleep from it. 62mph will be a lot better.

Dolph:
Another non issue stupid thread. What is the big fuzz between miles and km, some sense of national pride being hurt.
50mph is to low of a speed anyway, driver will fall to sleep from it. 62mph will be a lot better.

Not really just national pride.More like the sense and superiority in using just two numbers,based on Roman distance measurements,to represent a value which the French need 3 numbers to show.Let alone if you wanted to express 62 miles 500 yards and 2 feet in Metric.As for getting the job done I thought even you’d realise the advantage of a 65 mph limit. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Immigrant:
Joyn - Serien, Filme, Sport & Live TV jederzeit streamen (is in German)

That is brilliant!

I like metric just fine thanks.

Bluey Circles:
so all limiters will be reduced to a very imperial 50mph. It makes entire sense at many levels.

No sense at all in my book :open_mouth: So what’s the point of having a speed limit of 60mph on motorways and dual carriageways :unamused:

the only reason we have 56mph is because when eu was being harmonised and the eu said that hgv speed limit should be 50mph in the uk. the thatcher government said no,we are the uk and we do things different here

As an aside, I’m rather fond of working in clicks vs. miles; makes me feel like I’ve achieved more at the end of the day :wink:

Dolph:

Even though I’m for ‘out,’ I have to say that I’m with Dolph on this one. We were supposed to go entirely metric in the UK in the early '70s, to go with decimalisation in '71. All the schools were geared up to it and what happened? Successive governments failed to deliver, ensuring that for the next 40 years kids would be taught a mish-mash of metres and miles, gallons and litres etc, thus slowing down maths education. Imperial measurement is in a number of different bases, whereas metric is all in base-10 making life simpler.

As for the upper speed limit for lorries: again I agree that 60 mph is much more realistic and more satisfying for drivers - even after all these years I miss the nicer speed of 60 for HGVs, which used to be the limit before ‘limiters’ (and I believe still is, in theory; but then I used to get fined in France after limiters came in, for driving on the over-run at 60 down hills leading to Dover - grrr!).

Robert

[

As for the upper speed limit for lorries: again I agree that 60 mph is much more realistic and more satisfying for drivers - even after all these years I miss the nicer speed of 60 for HGVs, which used to be the limit before ‘limiters’ (and I believe still is, in theory; but then I used to get fined in France after limiters came in, for driving on the over-run at 60 down hills leading to Dover - grrr!).

Robert
[/quote]
+1
I used to also miss it,then I started working for the irish,and voila!!! back to 65… :slight_smile:

Euro 6 trucks won’t like running at 50mph max. DPF probably won’t get hot enough causing loads of problems. On the other hand, trucks are designed to run at 56mph for optimal performance. Don’t know how much economy would suffer running at 60mph.

Companies will still ■■■■■■■ them further. If trucks are currently designed to run optimal at 56mph why do companies decide to restrict them to 52 or 49 or whatever.