Brexit , borders and lorries

If youd denied there was any fault with your reply, If youd said it was perfect,
If youd said that anyway it was someone elses fault it was messed up,
And you`d never said it was perfect, all with a straight face,
You could have a glittering career as a politician in front of you!

Franglais:
You could have a glittering career as a politician in front of you!

No thanks, I’ll keep what little dignity I have.

Here’s a new slant on “moving the goalposts”:

telegraph.co.uk/business/20 … ade-deals/

New trade post Brexit deals better/Same/worse than old ones?
Change how they’re measured and you’re guaranteed to be the winner!

And another bit of “five haitch one tea” hits the fan.
theguardian.com/money/2020/ … ays-brexit

Franglais:

So switch to one of the banks that will continue to operate in Europe, basically Lloyds and Barclays are washing their hands of these customers as their numbers do not make it worthwhile. Brits will still be able to have a UK bank account just not with Lloyds and Barclays not quite the same as saying no Brit in Europe will be able to hold a UK account

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

So switch to one of the banks that will continue to operate in Europe, basically Lloyds and Barclays are washing their hands of these customers as their numbers do not make it worthwhile. Brits will still be able to have a UK bank account just not with Lloyds and Barclays not quite the same as saying no Brit in Europe will be able to hold a UK account

This is a small aspect of a “no deal” with no agreed “passporting” of financial institutions.
More expense for international transactions for Private and business users, both in the UK and the EU.
More red tape, friction to trade and cost.

Franglais:

I don’t live there, don’t even buy French wine so don’t bother me so careless.

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

This is a small aspect of a “no deal” with no agreed “passporting” of financial institutions.
More expense for international transactions for Private and business users, both in the UK and the EU.

I doubt that are any expats who do not have a family member living in the UK so just use their address for banking purposes, business’s who trade in Europe will in the main already have an account in Europe, my company has both UK and Irish bank accounts as it helps with fluctuations in the exchange rate and means you can pay people in their own currency and not lose out.

To be honest any article in the Guardian is to be treated with the same contempt as a Daily Mail or Express articles just different ends of the extremities.

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

I doubt that are any expats who do not have a family member living in the UK so just use their address for banking purposes, business’s who trade in Europe will in the main already have an account in Europe, my company has both UK and Irish bank accounts as it helps with fluctuations in the exchange rate and means you can pay people in their own currency and not lose out.

To be honest any article in the Guardian is to be treated with the same contempt as a Daily Mail or Express articles just different ends of the extremities.

Yes companies have accounts in differing countries, but the problems may arise in transferring between them.
Can private individuals find inventive ways around rules? Yes, money is laundered every day.

Edit
Will “UK Truck Co” be allowed to have an account in France or Italy post No Deal Brexit? Or will they need to open an office in Milan? Where will that office be taxed?

The point of having an account in sterling and one in euros is that you try to avoid transferring between the two so as not to lose out on exchange rates, agreed that it may not be possible in all circumstances and for business it may create some paperwork but for expats there are simple ways around it and Mrs Miggins will still get her pension paid into a UK bank by using Miggins junior’s address. The emphasis in the article is on expats and not business, and for expats the solution isn’t to hard.

Mazzer2:
The point of having an account in sterling and one in euros is that you try to avoid transferring between the two so as not to lose out on exchange rates, agreed that it may not be possible in all circumstances and for business it may create some paperwork but for expats there are simple ways around it and Mrs Miggins will still get her pension paid into a UK bank by using Miggins junior’s address. The emphasis in the article is on expats and not business, and for expats the solution isn’t to hard.

If the Euro income and expense balance; if the £ income and expense balance; that works well. Otherwise exchange is necessary.
Yes, that article is about private bank account holders. Already many articles elsewhere about companies and bankers problems about “bank passports”.

The problem for the UK based banks is the issue of " passporting " and with the UK becoming a third world status country the banks are required to set up and obtain a European licence - with all the red tape and fiscal oversight that goes with it .
All the fuss about fishing but the banking sector along with the complications of data transfer is going to loose the UK a lot more revenue .

Any non UK resident can have a Transferwise or Revolut dual currency account . It’s not hard to get away from a main high street bank, who are generally too expensive anyway.

OwenMoney:
The problem for the UK based banks is the issue of " passporting " and with the UK becoming a third world status country the banks are required to set up and obtain a European licence - with all the red tape and fiscal oversight that goes with it .
All the fuss about fishing but the banking sector along with the complications of data transfer is going to loose the UK a lot more revenue .

Any non UK resident can have a Transferwise or Revolut dual currency account . It’s not hard to get away from a main high street bank, who are generally too expensive anyway.

Exactly there are plenty of solutions out there.

Mazzer2:

OwenMoney:

Exactly there are plenty of solutions out there.

Yes, there solutions to every problem.
Here are some chosen by the banks themselves
news.efinancialcareers.com/fr-e … -of-london
Edit
Another solution
thisismoney.co.uk/money/mar … float.html
Edit 2
Another problem? More red tape?
Solution!
motortransport.co.uk/blog/2020/ … nt-admits/

When people voted for “Die in a Ditch” Johnson and his Tory Merry band of incompetent snakeoil salesmen last year, what type of Government did people expect to get??
I’m just asking for a friend!

jamdoms:
When people voted for “Die in a Ditch” Johnson and his Tory Merry band of incompetent snakeoil salesmen last year, what type of Government did people expect to get??

They didn’t give a ■■■■ what type of Government they got, as long it was Tory. Still, I’m sure these new Tory voters are keenly awaiting their invite to join their Imperial Masters for a day out on the (non-socially distanced) grouse moors.

dexxy57:

jamdoms:

They didn’t give a [zb] what type of Government they got, as long it was Tory. Still, I’m sure these new Tory voters are keenly awaiting their invite to join their Imperial Masters for a day out on the (non-socially distanced) grouse moors.

People will vote on many reasons, the Tory party winning the last election will have had a lot to do with the state of the Labour party at the time. Here in N.I Sinn Fein and the DUP get the most votes despite continually making a balls up of governance, the SNP are continually voted in despite overseeing a steady decline in Scotland’s education and health system.
As the saying goes “there’s nowt as queer as folk”

Voting is just cycles. Party A wins the election and goes on to spend lots of money undoing what the previous government had done, then goes to reward those that helped them get into power with contracts, knighthoods etc. Then next time party B wins and spends lots of money undoing what the previous government had done etc etc and repeated on and on. The only thing that is constant is that all politicians are the same who ever they are and are only interested in themselves not you or me at all. So basically not worth getting worked up about what government we have, it’s just cycles.

Dover truck queues likely according to that well known left wing rag, The Telegraph. Mind you they are quoting Michael Gove. As Brexit minister, what would he know?

telegraph.co.uk/business/20 … ove-warns/

Franglais:
Dover truck queues likely according to that well known left wing rag, The Telegraph. Mind you they are quoting Michael Gove. As Brexit minister, what would he know?

telegraph.co.uk/business/20 … ove-warns/

Shouldn’t that read ‘World Beating Truck Queues’?