Brewery Lorries

Underfloor engined Albions were a regular choice for breweries in Liverpool.
Threlfalls, Higsons, and Bents were the main Liverpool brewers. Ray Smyth.

These low height Bedford 6 wheelers on 16 inch wheels were ideal for multiple drop handball deliveries.
I tried to find one for when we doing bagged flour deliveries in the Northwest from 1979 for 18 years.
I think they were about 18 tons GVW, weighed 6 tons, and could carry 12 tons.
Ray Smyth.

Watneys Bedford.jpg

This Bedford TL was an ex Bass Charrington Brewery lorry with Boalloy Linkliner bodywork.
I soon had it converted to a curtainsider for the multidrop Rank Hovis bakers shop deliveries.
Its GVW was 13tons, and could carry 8 tons. Its short overall length made it possible to get
down “Back Entries” to some of the drops, and shorten the walk with many bags of flour.

Ray Smyth Transport…Wigan.

Bedford TVU 452X.jpg

Linkliner.png

I’m still looking for pic’s of the Ford S.Series Drays in Green.I sold the 33 and would really like to see pics.They also had a few Cargo’s and a Ford A series petrol Fire engine.I would think that must be still be about somewhere

Morris Commercial - MDE804 - Ind Coope:

A Morris Commercial lorry of St Austell Brewery.

St Austell Brewery Morris Commercial FV.jpg

Thornycroft - CBV161 - Dutton’s Brewery, Blackburn:

YN67YKY -
Stagecoach Scania with Alexander Dennis bodywork - and an advert for the Bowland Brewery, Clitheroe:

60169120_10217500832585522_8119302413690601472_n.jpg

Pete.

Click on pages twice.

Thomas Usher 1965.

windrush:

Pete.

What an odd outfit!

Here is a shot of a Whitbread yard, plenty of Dennis but they were light and a TK, Buzzer

Mercedes 814 - P159WBV - Moorhouses Brewery:

ERF E10 - J387LCM - Burtonwood Brewery:

Citroen - LT66PGZ - Pennine Brewing Co:

Another of the Reading based Simonds fleet, courtesy of facebook

61410620_391813148093114_5984507477767487488_n.jpg

Pete.

Here’s one with single wheels all round, Buzzer

Buzzer:

I’d suggest that’s probably ex-military, re-cabbed and tarted up. It’s a 1951/2 reg, fits nicely with demob after WW2. AEC did supply civilian 6-wheelers before the war on single rears but they were usually on much heavier chassis. Would have been a juicy petrol originally hence the Perkins badge.
Bernard

albion1938:

Buzzer:

I’d suggest that’s probably ex-military, re-cabbed and tarted up. It’s a 1951/2 reg, fits nicely with demob after WW2. AEC did supply civilian 6-wheelers before the war on single rears but they were usually on much heavier chassis. Would have been a juicy petrol originally hence the Perkins badge.
Bernard

I think that you’ve got it spot on Bernard. The rear axle hubs suggest that it’s an AEC Marshal from the mid-1930s. Not to be confused with the later Marshals of the 1960’s - 70s, the pre-WW2 Marshal was a lightweight 6x4 Military vehicle.

Isuzu - DK61EMX - LWC Lancashire:

Iveco - FA16EFY - KN Drinks Logistics:

Not sure what this Spanish dray’s chassis is, but the cab looks very reminiscent of those built by the Belgian bodyworks, Bollekens in the late '60s for export AECs. Robert